Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fresh Food Is this OK for the piggers?

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
Hello! I have a Spring Mix (with herbs) salad, and was wondering if everything in it was OK for the piggers. I'm terrible at figuring out what plants look like, and all that, so I'm going to list what's in it, and (hopefully) somebody can tell if something is bad!
Here we go:
Tango (?)
Lolla Rosa (?)
Red and Green Romaine
Red and Green Oak (?)
Red and Green Chard
Spinach
Mizuna (?)
Radicchio
Frisse
Beet Greens
Arugula
Tat-Soi (?)
Red Mustard
Kale
Collards
Dill
Parsley
Phew! That was a lot! I know that some stuff is OK, but stuff that has a "(?)" after it, I wasn't sure... Thanks for reading!!!

I can't remember all the "yes" and "no" foods yet as I am new to this, but I check through here before giving something just to be sure... I am pretty sure I had read that spinach was a "no", though... can't remember about any of the others off hand - but like poster above said, check out the chart :)

I believe it's safe, but many of the items are too high in calcium or Vitamin A to be fed daily. Use the veggie chart @SamanthaT to determine how often you can feed this mix.

Personally, it's much easier to control and keep an eye on their calcium and other vitamin intake when you make their salads yourself. Too much calcium can lead to bladder stones, which obviously should be avoided. I would recommend mixing up their daily vegetables on your own instead of feeding a mix like that.

Good luck!

Thanks! After posting, I looked online, and discovered what was good and bad for the most part... I was hoping that it would save me a trip to the market tomorrow... Oh, well. I was mostly wondering so if I fed them just a random leaves of it every so often, then I wouldn't have to worry about poisoning them! :) I feed them other greens obviously, but I would know for future reference... Thanks again!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.