Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

In Heat Is this normal, white discharge on genitals?

Lauren Oliver

Cavy Slave
Hi

So I recently had my male Guinea pig neutered and after waiting the appropriate amount of time I have put them back together.
My male Guinea pig is still very hormonal, the vet said it'll take a while for his hormones to chill out and because of this he'll follow her around trying to mount her, she isn't interested and bat's him away everytime.

They've been together for a week or so now and I just did their health check up and treacle (female) has some white discharge on her genitals, I thought this was truffle and so just gave her a bath to clean her up as she was due one anyway and smelt a bit. But after the bath I noticed it was still coming so thought it must be her.

Is it normal or is it something to worry about, I've check them both down there every week and have done since I got them 3 months ago and I've never noticed this before!

Can anyone advise?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sows have a mucus plug that blocks the opening to the reproductive system. They lose it when they're coming into heat, and then it re-forms after the heat cycle.

Lauren Oliver

Cavy Slave
Sows have a mucus plug that blocks the opening to the reproductive system. They lose it when they're coming into heat, and then it re-forms after the heat cycle.
So how long should it be there for? If I check it in a week and it's still there, is that a concern?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is it stuck to her fur? Did it come off when you gave her a bath?

It may be boar glue if it's really stuck to the fur.

Lauren Oliver

Cavy Slave
Is it stuck to her fur? Did it come off when you gave her a bath?

It may be boar glue if it's really stuck to the fur.
Yeah it's really stuck, took me a while to try get it off and there was some that was still really stuck!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Boar glue.

Lauren Oliver

Cavy Slave
Boar glue.
If its all over her does that mean they haven't succeeded at mating? I know he's neutered so won't work anyway but would they still try? Whenever I see it she just bats him away constantly but if that was on her genitals have they actually done it?

Lauren Oliver

Cavy Slave
If its all over her does that mean they haven't succeeded at mating? I know he's neutered so won't work anyway but would they still try? Whenever I see it she just bats him away constantly but if that was on her genitals have they actually done it?

I know it's weird but I just want to know if they'd still try or if they'd know they can't? [emoji23]

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I know it's weird but I just want to know if they'd still try or if they'd know they can't?

What difference does it make?? For heaven's sake, let your cavies have some fun without obsessing about it!

Boars react very differently to neutering. Some lose virtually all their libido, and others somehow still manage to maintain some of it. Testosterone is the hormone of aggression AND desire and once the testosterone has time to leave his body, he may have no interest in sex. My Chester was neutered at about five months of age and acquired a female cagemate when he was nearly two years old. He didn't know that his penis was good for anything other than a water spout.

She, OTOH, would go into heat and be all over him. He was truly mystified as to what all the fuss was about. The longer they lived together, the fewer signs of libido from either of them.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's not weird. It's perfectly normal. She's plenty capable of discouraging him if she wants to, and she may not want to.

Lauren Oliver

Cavy Slave
It's not weird. It's perfectly normal. She's plenty capable of discouraging him if she wants to, and she may not want to.
I don't mean it's weird that they do it, I meant it's weird that I'm wondering if they would considering they can't make babies lol.

But it's cool, she's very uninterested as far as I can see and is pretty good at putting him in line if he annoys her with it so I'm not concerned or worried I was just curious, but thanks, its helpful [emoji4]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.