Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Introducing 2 pairs of boars. - success?

Pandora4co

Cavy Slave
I had a pair of boars Percy and Piglet that have been living together for the past 3 years. Percy is 3, Piglet is almost 7. Last year I adopted two boars who were both about a year old. I've been keeping them in separate cages in separate rooms, but I moved 6weeks ago and put both cages in the same room. I wanted to combine the two cages to make one huge cage for them all to be in. So I made a huge 3x5 playpen and put all of them in there while I cleaned and combined the two permanent cages. There was a ton of rumbleing, lots of attempted mounting, and some noseoffs, all of which I was expecting as I've done introductions before, with both good and really bad results. After several hours they all seemed to calm down with the worst of it being some minor hair pulling. So I put them in the combined cage and the rumbling,mounting,noseoffs,ect started up again for a bit and then calmed down again.

This is my new herd eating breakfast this morning in their 2x3 kitchen.
Introducing 2 pairs of boars. - success?

The combined cage is a 2x4 fleece, then a sunken 2x3 kitchen, then another 2x4 fleece area forming an L shape.
Introducing 2 pairs of boars. - success?

I'm optimistic this may just work out!. My question is - do you think I should leave the cage as is? Or should I maybe redo it to have all the fleece on one side and the kitchen on the other? Or have two small 2x2 kitchens on either side of a larger 3x4 fleece middle? I have to make sure I can reach all the areas of the cage to clean it too.

I would make the cage three by four and have 2 two by two kitchens on either side.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. It would give them a larger space to have to run around in. For some reason they seem to want to be in the same "section" all at the same time.

Well, that with the wider space it means they dont have to pass so close, and they can eat in 2 pairs. insted of all 4

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.