Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

'If you can't afford the vet you can't afford the pet'

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
I posted this in a thread on GL but thought I'd post it here too and I hope this is the right section.

I've always followed the rule that 'if you can't afford the vet you can't afford the pet". So for a good few years now I've always had a vet fund of atleast $600. Currently it's with standing at about $1800. So if one of my pigs fell ill it would be easy to pay for it.

However what about everyone, including me, who have multiple pigs? Do you keep a fund big enough to pay for surgery for each pig if they all fell ill? I have six guinea pigs. Two are fine, so far *touch wood*.My 6yr old has a bladder stone, my 3 1/2yr old has mammary tumors, my other 3 1/2 yr old has mammary tumors, bad teeth that need filing occasionaly, three fatty lumps and a large cyst on his hind; lastly my 4yr old has lost alot of weight and vet reccomends a blood test, GL suggest heart meds so I will probably have to try both. Now what do I do? Even with a vet fund I cannot afford to perform surgery on two of my pigs along with multiple surgerys on my lumpy boy aswell as teeth filing (he has to be put under for that) and blood test with heart trial meds for my 4th ill pig!

So I have prioritized (sp?) things. The piggie with teeth problems is dealt with first along with the blood test/heart piggy, next the bladder pig who I won't operate on anyway until it really has to be done, then the two mammary tumors.. which will also wait until it's necessary and lasty the fatty lumps on the teeth boy.

Do I have the right to keep all these pigs, knowing that if my two other pigs need operations aswell (lets pray not!!) that I may not be able to pay for it straight away. With those who have more than two pigs do you have enough set aside for atleast one surgery per pig? Am I having a run of bad luck that most of my pigs have some sort of aliment? Personally even if I could afford four operations I wouldn't right now. From past experience I only operate when the pig is affected, off which right now no one is affected by their aliment.

So what would you guys with multiple pigs do if all fell ill with something that required more than your usual course of anti biotics? Should I have all these pigs because I can't afford to perform surgery on them all at the same time?

I don't own multiple pigs, but if they fell ill. (Which I would hope they would not), you can work out a payment plan with your vet. I have heard of this, but never tried it.

Yeah some vets do that. My vet doesn't require payment straight away, we go often enough they trust us to pay.

I calculated that to do all those surgery's, x-rays, blood test etc it would be about $1600 so I could afford it but if anything went wrong (which is usually does with me!) I wouldn't be able to afford after care.

You are just having ridiculously bad luck! These things seem to come in waves like this. Maybe your vet will give you a group discount or something if you talk to them. Some will have a fund for situations where the owner is in need through no fault of their own like you are. Also many vets have Care Credit- which is a credit-card kind of deal, but only for vet bills. Ask your vet about that, to see if they have it.

I don't think that you have too many pigs. It's a combination bad luck and you doing all you absolutely can for them. Many people would see your situation and likely euthanize one or all of the sick ones. So talk to your vet about it- see if you can't work anything out, who can wait, for how long, payment plans or whatever. Most vets will be happy to work with you.

I have a bank account that I don't use at all except for emergencies, vet visits unexpected car costs etc etc. Currently it has $1400 in their, and the bank account I use for buying 'stuff' has around $700 (but fluctuates a bit, anything from $500 to $1200 is normal).

If needed I do have my parents to fall back on (since my mum and I technically co-own the piggies).

Bad things just tend to happen all at once, you get a nice quiet period with no sick piggies then you get lumped with a couple having different problems at the same time. (Personally I think it's collusion and plotting on the pigs behalf!)

I had a vet fund (for pigs, rats, and now a dog) that was standing *thankfully* at $1,200.

With Jypsy's case of heartworms (slightly expected, but feared, when I rescued her) it is going to take the entire vet fund.. For just the 1st medical exam, shots, tests, and 1st round of treatment has already been about $400.

When Dudley was alive I spent about $600-$700 trying to get him well.

EVERYONE should have at LEAST a $500 vet fund saved up before they get animals, in my opinion. If you can't do this- you shouldn't get animals.

Could this be deleted? I changed my mind on posting this.

Last edited:
Thanks for the opinions guys! I've looked into insuring them but it only covers them up to 5years of age, all my rabbits and pigs are 4years of age so is it really worth it? :p

Aertyn I wish I had my parents to fall back on *sigh*. I am really Pd off about them. I needed £100 to help with my bladder pig because I had recently emptied out the account to help another pig (who died anyway!) so I wanted to ask my grandparents for a loan. But I wasn't allowed, they said I shouldn't buy what I can't afford. Last week my sister needed to clear off her over draft because she has gone travelling. Mum was very happy for her to ask grandparents for $3000 to cover it. Sweet, very fair. :)

Anyway, vent over. I am going to insure my youngest rabbit who is 1years for now so thats one less worry. I can never know how rescues afford all that vet care. I so admire them.

Does anyone know about veterinary insurance for Canadian piggies?

I was surprised that no one was talking about American Express.

I'd find a way to pay for whatever. I can always poo some money.

That's why there is credit card, haha! But really, I completely agree with the statement. As much of a good intention a person might have, if they cannot afford everything that comes along with responsible pet ownership, they just shouldn't have one at all.

My mortgage rate is higher than my credit card rate. So I don't keep more than a thousand dollar cash in my bank accounts combined. Risky? Yes. All the more reason that I must limit my web-surfing and concentrate on work.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.