Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I honestly had no idea that people do this....I never even imagined it was possible..

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
Apparently, many people in Australia (and maybe elsewhere too? I'm unsure, I just know they do this at least in Australia) hunt wild kangaroos, and eat their meat. Kangaroo meat is also used in new varieties of dog food......

Here in N.C., people do the same with deer. Venison is a popular choice for dog food meat types, and its available most anywhere. I am not saying that kangaroos should be valued over deer, because all animals were created equal, but.....it's just so unusual and honestly quite shocking to me.

If you know alot about Australia, or you live there, can you tell me if there is such an over-population of kangaroos that there is a need for "population control?" Thats the primary reason why deer hunting is popular in parts of the U.S.A., because there is a large enough over-abundance of them, and if we left the deer population unchecked, then problems would definetely arise.

Is this why kangaroo hunting and consumption is practiced in Australia? Because if it isn't, then I'm very curious as to what the reason is.

L0L, I found this info on the net, and through Whole Dog Journal....I guess this is just a case of culture shock, but still.........

Last edited:
That's funny that you brought this up. I was in a pet store today and saw dog treats made with kangaroo meat. That's the first time I had ever seen that, and I thought it was strange. I guess Americans find it strange though, because it's not native game. All areas of the world have different wild animals that they hunt and eat. They may be things that we would not think about, but it is normal to them. I don't know much about hunting kangaroo, so I am curious to know the answers to some of your questions as well.

I met someone from australia. We stumbled upon the subject of kangaroo's and she said they were "pests". They had alot of them and they were treated as a nuisance.

I'm not sure about the consumption though.

Wow! Why would you call those cute little animals pests? If you don't like them just ignore them!

Yeah, it's hard to look at a picture of an adorable little joey and think that it and it's mommy are "pests", but.....cute little bunnies who broke into your veggie patch (which would be for your piggies), and ate your piggies veggies, and dug holes and stuff....those would def. be pests.

But I'd be interested in knowing how kangaroos interfere with human life, I didn't realize they were audacious enough animals to come that close to people! They certialny seem a lot more wild than wild rabbits and even deer!

Pest or not a pest? That is the question. Seems awfully dern cute to me! Yes, things can be, in my opinion, too cute to be a pest. If a bunny was eating my flowers, I wouldn't be "mad", I'd just shoo it away and say: aww, you poor thing, soooo cute, you must love my flowers, huh? Well, I'm sure you'll find food elsewhere, so, see ya.
But maybe that person that AnimalHouse36 knows meant that they were pests in terms of jumping out in front of cars and running around public, and streets and such. Then, I can see her point, b/c if they cause auto-crashes, and end up injuring and killing people, then thats not cute.
But we should be careful, so they don't ever become another endangered species!

I think they mean pests in the way that deer here are considered such when their populations become too high.... destroying crops, etc.

Regarding eating them... well... if there is an animal, people somewhere in the world consider it to be food, regardless of the animal. I personally don't, given that I'm a vegetarian, but humans eat pretty much any animal or at least have at some point in history.

One of Australia's main exports and sources of economic growth includes sheep, export of wool, cattle and dairy. In order for Australia to sustain these sources of income we have to maintain large areas for grazing.

Kangaroos whilst a very large tourist attraction and international icon put pressure on grazing lands by feeding on the grasses and foods that farmers have put there primarily for their livestock. The drought also plays a role with many farmers now in dire need to control the kangaroo population in order for their livelihood to survive.

They cannot afford to have kangaroos putting more pressure on nutritional resources reserved solely for their sheep, cattle etc.

We do the same with rabbit populations, they are overtaking our native wildlife's habitat. Cane toads are also a major threat to the native frog population already many frogs are becoming extinct due to the toads overtaking their habitat, and competition for food.

Australia is now actually marketing Kangaroo meat to the world as an export. Kangaroo meat and skins are now exported to 60 countries and the market is growing. Kangaroo pelts are highly sought after in Europe for clothing, shoes and accessories while kangaroo meat is lauded for its low fat, high protein health benefits. It is sourced to America in pet foods primarily but also as an Australian delicacy.

My personal views differ. I do not condone hunting and have been in numerous protests in regards to the so called "pest'' mentality. Whilst that may have been relevant in certain farming areas, it is not in many suburban areas where kangaroo killing is condoned merely to develop sites for housing. There are other ways to control Kangaroos killing is not the answer.

This site offers more details on kangaroo "pest" control if you would like a read:

(broken link removed)

Last edited:
I am sorry but I do feel that... that is somehow not "right". But just my opinion.

In addition to what Fluffball said, rabbits are an introduced species in Australia and have become, in the past, highly invasive. I don't know what their status is now.
And no, I don't think it's right, but how would people eat if the kangaroos contributed to livestock loss and if deer [in the states] contributed to crop loss? It's a choice people have to make between something else's life and their own.

Ps. I don't think that whether or not something is a "pest" should be decided by how cute it is.

Last edited:
In addition to what Fluffball said, rabbits are an introduced species in Australia and have become, in the past, highly invasive. I don't know what their status is now.
And no, I don't think it's right, but how would people eat if the kangaroos contributed to livestock loss and if deer [in the states] contributed to crop loss? It's a choice people have to make between something else's life and their own.

Ps. I don't think that whether or not something is a "pest" should be decided by how cute it is.

Yeah, me neither! I just had to put that photo up there, its too dang cute, but I didn't put it up to discourage people from calling kangaroos pests, b/c if they are, then they are, and it doesn't matter how cute they are.

Take warthogs, for example. Warthogs aren't that cute....really aren't that cute.....really [ok I think you all get the picture xD, google warthog on google images....], but they're not pests. Kangaroos, bunnies, deer....all cute, all pests, doesn't make a difference as to how visually appealing the animal is.

Edit: Now that I've been looking at this er....unique animal pictured below, I think warthogs are cute in their own kinda way....I like how their legs sort of resemble equine legs, and they do appear to have a mane of sorts......beauty is only skin-deep, so....hmmm...I think warthogs are beautiful in their own special way.....like us humans!!! Hey, we should stick one of those warthogs on Petsmart, maybe they'd ram everyone out of the store....or at least scare them...

:eek:
I honestly had no idea that people do this....I never even imagined it was possible..

Last edited:
That's awful. Do Kangaroos cause that much damage? Aren't they more in the wild than deer?

I personally don't eat kangaroo, and most people I know do not eat it either. I couldn't comment on whether there is such an overpopulation of kangaroos that they are classified as pests, as I do not live on a farm. Personally I love them, and as a kid it used to be a highlight riding out to the bushland in the early morning to watch them graze. I do believe that some species are endangered, due to cars running them over and as a result there are alot of wildlife centres and rehabilitation programs out there. Our native aboriginals used to hunt kangaroo and other animals to live back in the day before europeans had even landed/settled in Australia (and continuing on after as well - however just because they do/used to I don't think that they should be "flamed" etc, it is a great and interesting part of our history). All of the above is based on observations and knowledge I have collected over the years.

Animals are not "pests", humans are. Humans are stupid and constantly complain about animals wrecking their little gardens and living in their house, BIG DEAL! If humans didn't interfere with nature so much (IE: Tearing down forests and building houses there instead) there wouldn't be a problem with animals in your yard and house. Where else are they supposed to go? "pests" is a really stupid term and I could care less about humans and their "pests" problems. There is no such thing as "pests".

Animals are not "pests", humans are. Humans are stupid and constantly complain about animals wrecking their little gardens and living in their house, BIG DEAL! If humans didn't interfere with nature so much (IE: Tearing down forests and building houses there instead) there wouldn't be a problem with animals in your yard and house. Where else are they supposed to go? "pests" is a really stupid term and I could care less about humans and their "pests" problems. There is no such thing as "pests".

I can't imagine that anyone who says that has ever spent hours upon hours preparing land, planting, and tending to a garden or a farm. People rely on farms, and even large gardens, to provide for their families. It would be *quite* a big deal to you if your livelihood was in jeopardy because of pests.

I can almost see them as being a pest, I have always wanted to see Australia. And a Kangaroo is just as cute as squirrels can bunnies can be. in my area they are quite an issue...Just like cats. we have so many stray cats we see them everywhere. If they aren't dead on our streets from being run over they are digging in our trash cans. I lived in a neighborhood when I was living with my parents and cats were such an issue we had to chase them out of our garages and from under cars, I didn't want to hurt them. So we would have to pour ammonia all over the bags when we put the trash out. We also had an issue with skunks. That was a big issue, they would spray each other and then the smell would linger for weeks. The Rabbits wouldn't stay out of our veggie garden and they would always been running out in front of people. and they got worse around the first snow when everything was slick. so I understand that maybe people in Australia have issue with their sweet Roos too! but...Really everyone has some sort of "pest" in their area. But if you think about it we are kinda moving in on their territory. And Honestly. They don't have anywhere else to go. I actually think we are the one who are pushing them out. And really we should be more conscious of it all. And Now I live in town and I don't see any kind of wild life. Which is sad. But there isn't much we can do. but respect nature.

I can't imagine that anyone who says that has ever spent hours upon hours preparing land, planting, and tending to a garden or a farm. People rely on farms, and even large gardens, to provide for their families. It would be *quite* a big deal to you if your livelihood was in jeopardy because of pests.

Yeah, true, but I'm sick of animals taking the blame for everything. It's not like it's their FAULT. If you want to protect your garden then you need to take the necessary precautions, like put up chicken wire so the rabbits can't eat the veggies and then maybe make a small garden just for the rabbits to have.

I want to have a garden but my mom figures that the birds will eat everything. You think I get mad at the birds? No. I'll just put a fence and netting up so they can't eat them.

I agree with you in terms of how to handle pests (ie put up fences), I just don't agree that it is somehow unreasonable or mean to call an animal a pest and that it should be no big deal when they destroy crops.

I doubt anyone "blames" animals for harming plantlife, they are just playing the game of survival. But when they do harm plants, they are called pests and they are annoying and a nuisance. And I'm sure those same animals see us as pests, annoying and a nuisance as well.

I'm an animal lover, but I'm also realistic. I don't condone killing kangeroos because they are a nuisance, but when animals eat my flowers and vegetable garden they are PESTS and I cuss at them under my breath.

Just for some perspective, we have an awful deer overpopulation here in NC. They are pests. Not because they wreck our "pretty little gardens" but because they're so numerous they are shutting out other forms of wildlife and causing them to starve. They're highly adaptive, and no longer fear humans. They jump in front of cars on a regular basis, causing serious injury and suffering to themselves, and seriously injuring and sometimes killing the people that hit them.

It is a man made problem, and I don't have enough knowledge to even try to formulate alternate solutions, but the problem is definitely bigger than people just complaining that their gardens are being eaten.

I think it's easy to say "just ignore them", but when your parents, or spouses, or siblings, or friends are in the hospital ICU because a deer bolted in front of them, it's not a matter of "just ignoring" them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.