Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior I am so glad I decided to seperate. My pigs are so happy now!

Pandora4co

Cavy Slave
Back story. I had 2 boars,Patches and Piglet that I had for 2years together. I wouldn't consider them bonded, but they tolerated each other. Then I introduced a 3rd guy Peanut (he was a baby at the time). Things deteriorated between Patches and Piglet (the original 2) after that. Patches accepted Peanut with no issues but started getting very agressive toward Piglet and there was tons of chattering, charging nose offs and hair pulling on Patches part. Piglet was miserable. It escalated into a few minor bits on Piglets rearend, and I decided to divide the cage and put Patches in by himself as I felt he was the instagator.
Piglet and Peanut were fine, but Patches was miserable by himself. He started to eat less and just lay around doing nothing. So I decided to reintoduce. It was OK for a couple days but then Patches seriously injured Piglet, to the point that a vet visit was required and antiboitics needed to be given. It seemed to calm down between the two after than so I kept them all together, but after a couple weeks it started up again. No more biting, but Patches would charge Piglet anytime he tried to leave a pigloo. I set up a hay station and water bottle near a pigloo, and poor Piglet would basically never leave it. The area under his pigloo would get nasty as he would pee/poop and just lay in it for hours. Now Piglet was miserable. It started getting worse and worse as Piglet would try to leave the pigloo and Patches would charge him and if he caught him before he could get back to the pigloo would pull out tufts Piglets fur.

A blessing came in the form of a neighbor giving a no longer wanted 2mth ish old boar to me. I right away divided the cage again and removed Piglet and put him in with Percy the new guy. I removed Piglet as I knew Patches was fine with Peanut, and didn't want to run the risk of him not getting along with the new guy. Patches is a very agressive boar, and Peanut is so completly laid back they work well together. Piglet is fairly easy going, I I felt he would work well with a very young pig.

Well the change in all of them has been drastic and wonderful. Now that Piglet is removed from Patches, he has calmed down temendously and no longer stalks around the cage, fur up and chattering. Piglet has taken to Percy and Percy to him and Piglet runs around the cage doing zoomies with Percy, something I haven't seen him do in months. I have even see Piglet at 4ys old attempting to popcorn!!

While I would of course had preferred them all to get along, it just wasn't going to be. And since all pigs have a buddy, and seem to be much happier now, I'm very happy as well.lol

Aww, that's nice to hear that things worked out with them :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.