Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece How to get all of the hay/ hair off of fleece to wash

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
My mom has been getting upset about me washing the fleece, because so much hair gets left behind in the washer, that it takes forever to clean it off. Ive noticed that my fleece comes out of the washer covered in more hay and hair than when I put it in. She says if I cant figure out a way to get rid of most of the hair, that I will have to switch back to carefresh, and I really dont want to do that.

I let my air dry outside first when they are dry I shake them out like crazy. Then do a rince cicle then wash and put them in the dryer.. Or take them to a laundry mate where it's not you machines hehe.

I always use a lint roller, and keep the hay in a separate kitchen area with wood pellets.
Make sure you brush the pigs regularly to take care of the shedding.

Sadly there are no laundry mats near us since everyone lives in houses with washing machines and dryers in our area. My hay is kept in a seperate area, but the pigs always manage to drag it everywhere.

I also have this problem, at the minute I hit my fleece like hell when it's outside to try and knock hair off it, hand vac it a little bit too. It doesn't quite get it all, so after I've washed the pig's stuff, I wipe the inside of my washing machine out with a tissue and do a quick rinse cycle with it empty. You could maybe get a washer bag for it? That's what I'll be doing soon :) you put the fleece in it, tighten the top and put the whole bag in the wash. It will trap the hair inside, then you can clean it out whenever you need to.

Thats a good idea, I hadn't thought of a washer bag. Currently I bring the fleece outside and shake it like crazy, but its difficult to do since im short with the 2x5 1/2 cage liners they are huge and much bigger than me. Since I upgraded my cage, we started having problems about all the hair and hay.

I am having the same issue, but luckily there are laundromats in my area. I am also going to construct my new cage with 1/4 box in coroplast area of CareFresh with a hay rack.

I use this thing: (broken link removed)

I run it over all fleece surfaces before I wash and come up with a good-sized handful of hair. For the hay I brush that off the fleece when I do my daily poop-sweeps and then brush it down again before washing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.