Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

horror story!!

cinnyminny

Cavy Slave
I was at my friends apartment yesterday, and her roommate has 2, gorgeous male GP's. The bad thing is, she has them both in a really really tiny petstore cage. This cage isn't even big enough for one guinea pig, let alone two. And hers are adults and they are pretty large. She also had no hay in the cage either. But here's where it gets bad. we were talking about our piggies and somehow accidental pregnancies came up and she said "well if she (meaning my piggie) gets pregnant you can sell the babies to petsmart!!"

*jaw drops*

I seriously almost cried. I said "oh my god are you kidding me!!! thats AWFUL! I would never ever do that" and she just kind of looked at me like I was stupid.

I really want to save those piggies from her, but I can't just say "hey give me your guinea pigs." she doesn't deserve their love.

Thats horrible!! But all the big corporate petstores only get their guinea pigs from mills..not private breeders or owners looking to sell them. That is corporate policy and they will not change that or lots of people will be talking about it.

All of their pigs come from mills where females are bred until they cannot have any more babies due to age or until they die (which ever happens first), then they are either killed or sold by the mill to somebody. Petco does the same thing and here in florida they share the same mill so I can just about imagine how many piggies are forced to be pregnant non-stop.

The only places that would take piggies from private owners would be small little crappy petstores that have no idea what they are doing. They just play on hopefully people will buy from them because they are small and not a big corporate chain.

You should tell her about this site and suggest she do some research on guinea pigs...because you can never learn too much about them!

Aw thats horrible, maybe you could try educating her more. You know like printing pages from this site to give to her etc. She may simply just not know any better.

I was at my friends apartment yesterday, and her roommate has 2, gorgeous male GP's. The bad thing is, she has them both in a really really tiny petstore cage. This cage isn't even big enough for one guinea pig, let alone two. And hers are adults and they are pretty large. She also had no hay in the cage either. But here's where it gets bad. we were talking about our piggies and somehow accidental pregnancies came up and she said "well if she (meaning my piggie) gets pregnant you can sell the babies to petsmart!!"

Wait I am missing something here, can you please clarify something so that I can better understand. You say that you were at a friends apartment, so I am assuming that you dont live there, right? What I dont understand is how would your piggie , that doesnt live there , get pregnant by there piggies?

If they are talking about coming over to your place with there piggies and putting their pigs together with your pig I would set them in their place IMMEDIATELY. They would know exactly where I stand on that, and they would be well aware of what I would do to them if that was to happen.

Wait I am missing something here, can you please clarify something so that I can better understand. You say that you were at a friends apartment, so I am assuming that you dont live there, right? What I dont understand is how would your piggie , that doesnt live there , get pregnant by there piggies?

If they are talking about coming over to your place with there piggies and putting their pigs together with your pig I would set them in their place IMMEDIATELY. They would know exactly where I stand on that, and they would be well aware of what I would do to them if that was to happen.

I think she meant in general, like if your pig ever was to get pregnant, not like, hey if yours and mine breed sell the babies!

yes it was definitely a hypothetical situation. I know not to even try to get my piggie pregnant on purpose cause of the complications. But my other friend has a baby male and mines a baby female and we always talk about letting them like meet but dont want mine to get pregnant accidentally. The other girl (unintelligent one) suggested that if mine were to actually end up pregnant to just sell them to petsmart for the money. She was just making the point that I could make money off the babies. But yes you guys are correct, she's definitely just malinformed on the care of guinea pigs.

Oh my gosh. People like that do not deserve guinea pigs. Does she have a computer? Even if she doesen't, everyone has a library around them. I think everyone should read about ANY pet before they adopt/purchase them. You should tell her to do that.

Talk to her NOW. Print pages off this website. Show her immediately! Don't let the piggies continue to live like that because of her ignorance!

Talk to her NOW. Print pages off this website. Show her immediately! Don't let the piggies continue to live like that because of her ignorance!

AMEN

There are guinea pigs in tiny awful pet store cages in homes all over the country, and if you can save just 2, it's worth it.

I would give her pages on guinea pig care from this site or GuineaLynx.com
Maybe she does not know about how Petsmart treats the animals there?
Like the previous posts said, you should try to give her the pages on guinea pig care. Keep trying! :eek:ptimist:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.