Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance Hideouts for to males (and don’t want one to get trapped)

• Thread starter Guinea_Pigs_Are_A_lifest
  • Start date

Guinea_Pigs_Are_A_lifest

Cavy Slave
Hello! I have two males bonded recently bonded (not really, about 3 months) and they are both quite spunky to stay at the least 😂
I just want to make sure one doesn’t get trapped in a hideout, and someone get annoyed and attacked the other one. (I know it is unlikely I just want to make sure 😊) here’s a picture of what I want to get. Let me know if it’s OK.

Attachments

IMG_3470.jpeg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
All hideys need at least two doors. That's the only way you can keep one pig from trapping another.

Dollar stores usually have cheap step stools that make good hideys.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I recommend this tunnel. It's cheap, spacious and my boys LOVE them. You want something that has 2 exits. Anything with one entrance/exit is the fastest way for someone to get trapped and/or hurt.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I recommend this tunnel. It's cheap, spacious and my boys LOVE them. You want something that has 2 exits. Anything with one entrance/exit is the fastest way for someone to get trapped and/or hurt.
I have a pair of these as well, but unfortunately I can't use them. My boys like to eat them and I'm worried about them ingesting plastic.

Now that I think about it, it was Simon who was eating them. I may try again with them.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I also have the Critter Hollow and one of the entrance/exit holes have been chewed quite a bit. Now I only use it for floor time where I can keep an eye on them. I have yet to discover which piggy chewed the opening. Other than that, I like the product a lot.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Interesting, I haven't had issues with anyone chewing on them. They may nibble every now and then but it isn't an issue that warrants removing them.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Interesting, I haven't had issues with anyone chewing on them. They may nibble every now and then but it isn't an issue that warrants removing them.
Simon was a taster. Everything went into his mouth, even my thumb. He would grab my thumb with his teeth and then nod his head up and down, up and down. He never broke the skin, it was just a game to him. But yes, he was a toddler his entire life and EVERYTHING got sampled.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Besides needing two doors, fabric hides with a floor will need frequent washing since everything in a piggy cage eventually becomes a toilet.

I use these stack and nest bins from Dollar Tree. Flip them over and they’re like a tunnel, and the piggies can push and pull them around.IMG_2133.jpeg
Another option is to bend a grid to make an A-line tunnel, then cover it with a large stretchy fabric book cover.

Or, make a cabana by bending a grid at 90 degrees with one side larger than the other. Flip the large side on top for the roof, put the shorter side up against the inside of the cage, and attach to the cage grid with binder clips. Drape a towel or piece of fleece over the top and let it hang partway down the front.

Attachments

IMG_2135.jpeg