Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump Help identifying lump(s)

Well, now you're just avoiding what I'm asking. Way to act suspicious.
Would you feel more comfortable talking through PM's?

I actually think it's people like you who ruin this board by attacking. I've never personally dealt with this before, but I've seen it come up in other threads so I know it's an issue. If you changed the way you spoke to people you may get an answer to your questions.

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
Well, now you're just avoiding what I'm asking. Way to act suspicious.
Would you feel more comfortable talking through PM's?

ETA: This post wasn't even originally about you. It was started by Holly&Fred.

I was referring to MY post in HOLLY's thread. Wow.

How do you know your pigs like the water? Why don't you go taste it for yourself. I'm sure it taste pretty funky.

That did come off on the rude side... I read it right after post and that was my first impression! There's away to let people know the wrong /rights of guinea pig care.

* rach, I will say after researching I stop the vitamin C drops, shoot after research I had stop and start alot of things!! It wasnt even 2 months ago my piggy only got pellets (filled bowl 24/7) and occassionally hay, never veggies!! They now get veggies twice a day. I printed off the colored coded chart and went to my local walmart, if helps alot! I hope you do consider dropping the drops. I also hope your piggies cyst gets better, plese keep us updated!!

That makes absolutley no sense. Okay? So what that you made a post?

Thats like saying "This post is about me saying you aren't making any sense, now you may not talk about anything else EXEPT for how you made no sense."

Also, you missed this whole post:

If you had approached this situation with a better attitude we could have had a discussion. The only thing that I can say is you are a rude person who cannot spell correctly. There are better people (on this site) that I can speak to about advice rather than you.

Enough of the arguing. If it continues, I'll start infracting.

Rach, I'd still get a second opinion on the lump by a more qualified cavy savvy vet.

I don't need a run down of all the veggies you feed on this thread as we need to get back on topic. Just know that your pigs would benefit if you get rid of the drops in the water for the reason I mentioned in a previous post.

Leyley, it's not what you are saying but how you are saying it. You are coming off a bit rude at times.

Last edited:
That did come off on the rude side... I read it right after post and that was my first impression! There's away to let people know the wrong /rights of guinea pig care.

* rach, I will say after researching I stop the vitamin C drops, shoot after research I had stop and start alot of things!! It wasnt even 2 months ago my piggy only got pellets (filled bowl 24/7) and occassionally hay, never veggies!! They now get veggies twice a day. I printed off the colored coded chart and went to my local walmart, if helps alot! I hope you do consider dropping the drops. I also hope your piggies cyst gets better, plese keep us updated!!

Thank you!

Can we all cool it, please? I don't think anyone cares who "started" it but now we're getting kind of off topic here.

Rach, based on the nutrition information your vet gave you, I think it might do you some good to find a second opinion. Has that vet treated your pigs before? If so, with what outcome? I just wish I knew if he knew more about lumps than he did about nutrition. Given the information you were, I would've made the same call: no surgery unless absolutely necessary. I'm just a little suspicious, based on the nutrition info.

As for the vitamin C issue, everyone's pretty much gone over why they're not a good idea, they don't provide vitamin C and a lot of cavies won't drink as much water because of them, though you don't seem to be having the second problem. If you have a chance though, I'd compare the veggies you're feeding to Ly's nutrition chart, especially the vitamin C levels, to make sure they get as much as they're supposed to be getting. The reference point my old vet gave me was 55mg per pig, per day. 1/8 bell pepper is the easiest way to go, but if you can find something in season that works better for you, just please make sure they're getting what they need.

But, that's really a side issue, the real issue is the lump and the lethargy. How is Taco doing today? Basically what your vet recommended is consistent with what I've read about cysts: they can be removed if they get too big, but if they're small and not causing any distress, they can be left alone. So that sounds valid to me (once again, DON'T trust my medical info, I'm just offering an opinion). If it were me I'd definitely be keeping an eye on it though, since he keeps making his "distressed" noise. (Question for Ly, if she's still reading: I know that I'm not supposed to post medical opinions/suggestions because I'm new, which is why I keep clarifying that I'm really not sure of any opinions I'm giving, they're just what I would do personally. Is it OK for me to post these, since they're more personal opinion than medical "fact?")

As for Ani, she seems alright, and from what I felt today, the lumps appear to be getting a little bit smaller. She's not pooing as much and she's eating the strangest things. She's not as eager to eat her hay or pellets -- she'll eat a little bit and then wander off, and come back to it later if Fred doesn't devour them (starting today for their afternoon meals I'm feeding a little bit at a time so she has more chance to eat the pellets, but there's nothing I can do about her not eating the hay). However, she's really enjoying eating her cuddle cup and hammock, both of which have kind of fuzzy fur on them. Should I remove these until she's better? I worry about her choking. Normally they both kind of lick it, but they've never tried to pull the fuzz off and eat it. She's also devouring cardboard. She has a massive pile of hay, more hay in the hay box, hay basically all around her, and she's.... eating the cardboard hidey. And not just little pieces and spitting them back out, she's probably eating as much cardboard as Fred does hay. What the heck is going on here?

Edit: Sorry, I wrote before Ly posted, so I apologize for any unrelated info, especially the vitamin C stuff.

Last edited:
Can we all cool it, please? I don't think anyone cares who "started" it but now we're getting kind of off topic here.
Thanks but please leave the moderating to us moderators.

Thanks but please leave the moderating to us moderators.

Sincerest apologies, I didn't realize that would be considered moderating. Won't happen again.

Now this post is getting out of control and infractions are being handed out and posts unapproved because people just cannot listen to moderator directives.

He said it didn't seem like an abscess because that would be filled with puss. This is a hard lump. The vet was moving it & Taco didn't seem to be bothered so he figured the alarm call is unrelated. (He did it again last night, though. :(

The doctor did give me the option to remove it completely which would require anesthesia & everything. I don't think I want to put him through that unless the lump gets bigger, but is that the right decision?

If your vet regularly treats exotics, I would trust his judgment. If you have an option of removing it or not, and your vet feels it doesn't pose a health risk to your guinea pig, I would just keep an eye on it for changes. I don't like to see guinea pigs having surgery if it's not necessary.

If your vet regularly treats exotics, I would trust his judgment. If you have an option of removing it or not, and your vet feels it doesn't pose a health risk to your guinea pig, I would just keep an eye on it for changes. I don't like to see guinea pigs having surgery if it's not necessary.

He is an exotic pet vet.

Taco seems to be doing pretty well & I haven't heard any of the alarm-cry sounds anymore. He's moving pretty good around the cage, too.

Taco seems to be doing pretty well & I haven't heard any of the alarm-cry sounds anymore. He's moving pretty good around the cage, too.

That's really good to hear. Ani's doing pretty well herself now that she's on Baytril; I finally got to check them out and the lumps are definitely shrinking! So I'm really happy that the antibiotic is working and she probably won't need surgery.

This eating thing has me stumped, though. She hardly touches the pellets and hay, and she's devouring cardboard and trying to eat the fuzzy fabric off of her hammock and cuddle cup. I've started feeding pellets several times a day because she usually eats for a minute or so and then abandons it, and when she tries to come back and eat some more later, Fred's eaten them all. So I'm giving them in smaller amounts throughout the day so she gets a fair shot at them. There's really nothing I can do about the hay, though, I've added an abundance to the cage so that I know she's got a chance to get to it, it's just a matter of not wanting to I guess.

Anybody know what could be making her do this, if I should be concerned, and if I should remove the hideys, cardboard or fuzzy, for fear of choking or all that cardboard messing her up? Thanks for any advice on this; I don't know if it's really an issue or not, but I'd hate for the lumps to go away just fine and have her choke on a fuzz ball.

Well, this is kind of what I've been worried about since putting Ani on Baytril, especially because of her eating habits of late. I've been monitoring her poo as best I can, and she isn't pooing much. Just a short while ago after cleaning the cage I found a few that are softer than they should be, and just now I heard her making distressed sounds while she was trying to poo. What can I do to help her? Should I go back to the vet tomorrow? What should I do?

I'm hoping that I caught this behavior early enough that it's not too serious yet. I just don't know exactly how serious it is, if she needs to see the vet again, and what the next steps are that I need to take to correct this.

Last edited:
Well, this is kind of what I've been worried about since putting Ani on Baytril, especially because of her eating habits of late. I've been monitoring her poo as best I can, and she isn't pooing much. Just a short while ago after cleaning the cage I found a few that are softer than they should be, and just now I heard her making distressed sounds while she was trying to poo. What can I do to help her? Should I go back to the vet tomorrow? What should I do?

I'm hoping that I caught this behavior early enough that it's not too serious yet. I just don't know exactly how serious it is, if she needs to see the vet again, and what the next steps are that I need to take to correct this.

Poor Ani! Maybe you should give your vet a call to see if they want to see her again.

I gave the vet a call just now. I was going to keep monitoring her all day for any improvement because she's started eating the hay and everything like she's supposed to again, no more chewing on the cardboard or the cuddle cup. But, her stools aren't really forming anymore and most of what's coming out is blood. As soon as I saw that I gave them a call and I was told to stop the antibiotics until at least tomorrow night, and hopefully the stools will form up again.

The vet was definitely a little disappointed, because the lumps were going down so the antibiotic was working, but he said the stools were the more pressing issue right now. He said her chewing on things like that meant that she was nauseated and basically had a tummyache. I'm hoping the fact that she's stopped means it's going away, but she stopped chewing the same time the bloody poos started, so now I'm just confused.

Regardless, she's off antibiotics for at least 24 hours. He says if the stools don't start forming up again, we might have to go to baytril by injection instead.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.