Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Hay in AUSTRALIA?

GuineaPigOwner

Cavy Slave
Hello,

Timothy hay in Australia is ridiculously over-priced!

For Oxbow's Timothy Hay 400g (15oz) bag it is $18.00!

Australia does not grow its own Timothy Hay because of the climate, so the reason being so over-priced is because it gets shipped from America and then us Australians have to pay more than 2 times more for that reason.

So I am just wondering is there any other Australians that buy local good quality grass hay in Australia and if so, what type do you buy?

That is all, thank you.

There's a forum section here for Australia. Maybe you could go through some of the threads in that section.
(broken link removed)

Remember, you don't need timothy. You can feed any type of good quality grass hay. Are there any horse stables in your area? You can feed horse hay to your piggies.

Hi,

I feed my guinea pigs Meadow hay which is a type of grass hay. My pigs love it. Next best thing to Timothy which you cannot get here at all unless its shipped from the USA. Do you have any local horse produce or feed stores near you? They should be able to see if they can have it or at worst you could get a mix of oaten/barley.

I also get Meadow Hay. It is usually quite good quality. We have had a couple of bad bales lately but this bale is pretty awesome - long strands, lots of green.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.