Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Hard thick "thing" found stuck in my piggie's hair...what is this?

sleepingchild

Cavy Slave
So I picked up my Prince Valium today and was snuggling (although he haaaatessss it), and I noticed that he had this weird...clump in his fur. He squeeked every time I touched it, and at first I was scared that it had grown out of him, but realized it had just become hard while stuck in his fur, and was tugging on it. However, when I did finally manage to cut the clump out, this is what I found:

Hard thick "thing" found stuck in my piggie's hair...what is this?

So it had irritated the skin so much. I don't think it was there for more than 2 days, because I would have noticed it. Either way, this is what the clump looks like. I pried off all the hair that was attached to it that I could. I just want to know if I should be concerned, as I have NO idea what the hell it is. It's completely hard, will not bend. I still have it if I need to take it to the vet if it's a sign of something serious.

Hard thick "thing" found stuck in my piggie's hair...what is this?Hard thick "thing" found stuck in my piggie's hair...what is this?Hard thick "thing" found stuck in my piggie's hair...what is this?Hard thick "thing" found stuck in my piggie's hair...what is this?

Prince Valium is fine now. I gave him a butt bath and gently washed his wound, to make sure anything else that was there was cleaned off. He's resting from the 'trauma' of the bath and cutting off the clump. It didn't bother him prior to removal either, as he ate his dinner and actually stole some tomatoes from his cage-mates. XD

You got me. Maybe it's a manly thing?

Maybe it's dried grease?
I would take him to the vet though, if nothing else just to get antibiotics or something to help his wound heal and not get infected.

You got me. Maybe it's a manly thing?

You mean like....dried semen? x_x

Maybe it's dried grease?
I would take him to the vet though, if nothing else just to get antibiotics or something to help his wound heal and not get infected.

His grease gland is located elsewhere on his body though, so I don't think that's it. I'm going to keep an eye on the wound since I am tight on money, but if it starts to look worse I'll take him in.

His grease gland is located elsewhere on his body though, so I don't think that's it. I'm going to keep an eye on the wound since I am tight on money, but if it starts to look worse I'll take him in.

I couldn't tell what part of his body the picture was of. :p I hope it heals without any problems!

How weird! I'd just keep it clean and watch for infection. Hope it heals quickly for him!

It's boar glue, he has a very friendly cage mate.

It's dried semen, aka "boar glue." In the future, just leave it alone until the hair grows out some more, and then you can cut it off. As you can see, if you try to get it off while it's still attached to the skin, you'll leave a sore spot that's open to infection.

It's dried semen, aka "boar glue." In the future, just leave it alone until the hair grows out some more, and then you can cut it off. As you can see, if you try to get it off while it's still attached to the skin, you'll leave a sore spot that's open to infection.

Ok. Yikes! Throwing that thing away then!

Ewwww! haha When you have two boars does that normally happen?

Ewwww! haha When you have two boars does that normally happen?

See, this same thing had happened last May. I had left my piggies with my parents because I went to Florida with some friends. I came back, and freaked out, because again, I thought something had grown out of him while I was gone. He had several of these on him. But, they didn't seem to hurt him (his hair had grown long enough for them to be away from his skin this time) so I just cut them off and thought, well, perhaps he slept on a yellow bell pepper and it had congealed into his fur. That's why when it happened AGAIN this time and it actually hurt him, I became concerned that this wasn't normal and something was wrong.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, apparently it is normal, not frequently normal but it does happen. I have three boys, and I KNOW which one did this to Prince Valium, so it all makes sense now. I just can't believe I touched it so much...yuuuuuuck!

It stops being icky after awhile. I find it on the fleece as well as fur! Pigs are naughty.

Hope that sore heals okay! I wonder if applying something would be beneficial?

Just an update in case anyone was wondering how Prince Valium was doing. He healed up completely fine; I just kept a close eye on the wound and he did the rest. The piggie who did the deed (Zoloft) has been acting very...frisky lately, so I'm betting it will happen again. I'm thinking of getting him a 'special friend' stuffed animal so he can do his dirty deeds to that rather than Prince Valium.

But finally thanks for the advice everyone! I'm glad I got this figured out finally. :)

Im glad Prince Valium is all good!! And sorry I just giggled when you said your going to get Zoloft a special friend to do his dirty deeds on lol. I hope he enjoys his special friend instead of getting frisky and causing pain to Prince Valium

Eew! I'm glad I have girls! Poor Prince Valium...glad he's ok now. Good luck finding Zoloft a "special friend". Hehe...hope it works. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.