Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Groomer

JessicaSayzRawr

Cavy Slave
Okkayy so my mum and me were going to clip my guinea pigs nails as it is very needed. but my guinea pigs have dark nails like black so we can't see the quick. Any one know any where to take them to get their nails done in the Pennsylvania area. Would a vet do it or what?

Did you try shining a light (flashlight) through the black nails? Try it if you haven't, save a bit of money.

No my mum doesn't want to risk it I need to find some where to get them done. My girls nails are really long and the one is starting to curl so I must get them done quick.

Call your vet. Most have just tech visits to clip nails.

Jessica, IF the pigs nails are really long the way to do trimming is a small bit at a time so as not to cut the quick, the quick will recede but it may take several weeks if light trimming to get back to a manangable length. There are some clues on the underside of the nails a ridge and then a smooth part is safe to clip. You will probably have to clip the nails several times to get them to correct length. Carefully clip about 1/8" of nail and if you do hit the quick you can use cornstarch or flour to stop the bleeding. Wait a week and look at nails again and repeat till they are proper length. You may need to do only one paw or even a nail or two in one sitting if the piggy is realy nervous.

Not to put down vets or vet techs but they would probably lop off all the nails, use styptic powder to control the bleeding and hand you the bill for something you can do yourself.

I know we could do it but my mum wants to do it professionally and I could even watch them and have them explain to me about it when they do it so I could do it myself next time. Is there anything I could put in the cages that would keep there nails kinda wore down. I am going to call the only vet around and see what they reccomend..

Are there any gp rescues nearby? Sometimes they will clips piggies nails for donations ~10 bucks.

I dunno there is one that I am looking to adopt from maybe she will help me when I go look at the piggies. I have to take mine so that might work.

Seriously one trimming is not going to take care of overgrown nails, and in the long run you will want to trim nails yourself. The slow clip a bit at a time is best for your cavy, it may take 4-5 weeks but you and the cavy will be much more happy in the long run, no pain, get trust in each other and have well groomed nails without a fight.

They aren't over grown. They need clipped and I never done it before. and I don't want to risk hurting my piggie.

You can clip 1/16-1/8 of nail with a rabbit sissors then, have to hold the foot still, obviously if you cut too much you will know, stop the bleeding with styptic powder, corn starch or flour. It is not rocket science.

You can acclimate your piggy to this by holding him/her during lap time and massaging its feet, making it a lot less stresfull.

Or just spend $$ at the vet or groomer, your and your moms choice all the way.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.