Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Where to Order? Good source for Meadow/blue grass hay?

mekat

Cavy Slave
We normally order KleenMama but she is out of it. Sweet Meadow seems to charge as much for a 9lb box as KleenMama does for a much larger quantity. I Found 25lbs of Oxbow Meadow for $55 including shipping on Amazon. Is that the best I am going to be able to do? I need to order today or tomorrow at the latest. There isn't very much KleenMama hay left and I had to scour Petco to come up with one very small green bag of Kaytee Meadow (everything else was brown :guilty:). I am getting desperate they probably don't have enough to last more 7-10 days and only if I am stingy and portion it out. Timothy type hays mess with my allergies too much unfortunately or I would just go with a local feed store.

Duh!!!! *hand against forehead slap* I was looking at the herb mix hay pricing with Sweet Meadow. No wonder they were twice as expensive. I have checked Leithwerks, American Pet Diner and one or two other sites. The Amazon deal can't be beat and since no one has replied I assume there are not any better deals out there. Ironically it is cheaper to order from Pet Food Direct through Amazon then it is to order directly from them using coupon codes, very odd to say the least. Any way off to go place the order now so my two sows don't get hay withdrawal.

We normally order KleenMama but she is out of it. Sweet Meadow seems to charge as much for a 9lb box as KleenMama does for a much larger quantity. I Found 25lbs of Oxbow Meadow for $55 including shipping on Amazon. Is that the best I am going to be able to do? I need to order today or tomorrow at the latest. There isn't very much KleenMama hay left and I had to scour Petco to come up with one very small green bag of Kaytee Meadow (everything else was brown :guilty:). I am getting desperate they probably don't have enough to last more 7-10 days and only if I am stingy and portion it out. Timothy type hays mess with my allergies too much unfortunately or I would just go with a local feed store.

Call your feed store or local Co-op. Mine carries a variety of different hays. I don't think they had bluegrass in, but you could ask and maybe they could special order it. I know ours always has Orchard Grass and mixtures of other hay with Orchard Grass. Also when I go, I go to the barn and look at the hay first, then go to the store part and purchase what I want. They usually will let me pick my bale (as long as it's on top and easily accessible.) If I don't like the looks of the hay, I don't buy. :yuck:

Thank you so much for your reply. I ordered Oxbow from Amazon immediately after I posted previously. I really haven't checked into a local supply source as thoroughly as I should have so I will follow your advice and do that next time. Hopefully it will pan out. I hate having to hold off to the last second hoping our only supplier will get a fresh batch in.

We did get the hay quite fast. It is a beautiful green and smells wonderful. I threw it in today and they immediately dive bombed it in piggie delight so they don't seem to resent the slight change in hay supply. I never had to touch that bag of Kaytee stuff since they shipped so quickly. So for right now we are happy until this 25lb bag runs out. I have been toying with the idea of ordering a 50lb bag but I only have 2 sows so I am not sure it is worth it. Meh, I will worry about in two months when the supply gets low again.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.