Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece strips for bedding

cetd27

Cavy Slave
Someone else posted this a few days ago but I could not find it. I thought I would give it a try. I had a lot of extra fleece because I expanded my cage and the old fleece didn't fit the new cage. So I cut it up in 1 in X 2 in strips and then put a towel down in the kitchen area, then I put the fleece strips in. ( My piggies only poo in the kitchen area and I think they peepee in there most of the time) So it was really easy to clean out this morning. I can change the towel everyday and wash the fleece strips in a small laundry bag in the machine. I was using carefresh in the kitchen area but it was getting all over everything including the food.
It's a good way to use the extra fleece!

Good idea! Looks nice and comfy too!

It looks so comfy, but my piggies arn't like yours - they would poo all over that in minutes!! :)

The other problem is that fleece needs something else underneath it to absorb the urine. It's not absorbent itself, it just wicks moisture through it very well, and needs padding beneath. With just fleece strips as bedding, your pigs will be on wet fleece/urine puddles, and you may end up with urine scald.

The other problem is that fleece needs something else underneath it to absorb the urine. It's not absorbent itself, it just wicks moisture through it very well, and needs padding beneath. With just fleece strips as bedding, your pigs will be on wet fleece/urine puddles, and you may end up with urine scald.

I do have a towel at the bottom and I am going to make some pads out of uhaul blankets that fit exactly in the bottom area of the kitchen under the fleece strips so I can change them everyday. I was kind of just giving it a try today to see if it works. I just pick the poos out (with a laytex glove on )through out the day and refluff the fleece stips, so far it seems to be working. I will update if it doesn't.

I'm thinking it would be much easier to make fleece/blanket pads to fit in the kitchen box, then change those every day or two. I don't see how the strips are doing anything but making it harder to clean out the poops since they don't absorb anything anyway...and with the fleece cut into strips and shifting all around, the towel/blanket isn't going to stay covered with a dry layer, so the pigs will be walking on a wet surface, won't they?

I think this is a cute idea for a floortime play box. I don't think I would use it in my kitchen, but I bet my boys would love to burrow in a box of fleece strips during floortime!

I think my boys will eat it!

I think this is a cute idea for a floortime play box. I don't think I would use it in my kitchen, but I bet my boys would love to burrow in a box of fleece strips during floortime!

Great minds think alikelol

I think i'd do that for a little cozy bed, it looks so comfy, but Stanley would DEFINITELY try to eat it.

I use large strips(about3 inches across by 5inches long) in my cage and the pigs love to get undeer them and sleep on them and whatever. They are easy to clean and it's how I get rid of my little peices

I went back to using carefresh tonight. It was worth a try, I'm always trying something different out. I'll just use them somewhere else, you guys gave me a few good ideas!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.