Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece Help Please

ChangeOfPace

Cavy Slave
Hello! So I have been reading alot about fleece latley and the stickies were quite helpful. Right now I use carefresh and I absolutly hate it. The smell is gross, when its in the bag, not to mention the dust doesnt exactly help my allergies. So I wanted to try the fleece. I brought up the idea to my mom. Her only concen is will the urine start to smell after a few days? I know about the towels and matress pads under the fleece, but does that take care of the smell? Thanks bunches! lol

Hello! So I have been reading alot about fleece latley and the stickies were quite helpful. Right now I use carefresh and I absolutly hate it. The smell is gross, when its in the bag, not to mention the dust doesnt exactly help my allergies. So I wanted to try the fleece. I brought up the idea to my mom. Her only concen is will the urine start to smell after a few days? I know about the towels and matress pads under the fleece, but does that take care of the smell? Thanks bunches! lol

If you wash your fleece 3-4 times it will wick, Wick means the pee will fall through the fleece and soak onto the towels, I use 4 layers of thick towels, I change them once a week, And they never smell. BUT, When I had males there urine stunk a lot more, My sows urine does not.

If you wash your fleece 3-4 times it will wick, Wick means the pee will fall through the fleece and soak onto the towels, I use 4 layers of thick towels, I change them once a week, And they never smell. BUT, When I had males there urine stunk a lot more, My sows urine does not.

Thank you! Thats what I kept trying to tell my mom but she didnt believe me. Im blessed with a boar :crazy:, Would baking powder in the bottem of the cage help? Or a odor absorbing pad of some sort?

Thank you! Thats what I kept trying to tell my mom but she didnt believe me. Im blessed with a boar :crazy:, Would baking powder in the bottem of the cage help? Or a odor absorbing pad of some sort?

Baking soda did wonders for me when I had 3 boars!

Just put a thin layer down, and make sure he can't get to it.:rolleyes:

Baking soda did wonders for me when I had 3 boars!

Just put a thin layer down, and make sure he can't get to it.:rolleyes:

Alright thank you so much! I cant wait to tell my mom and switch to fleece!

Alright thank you so much! I cant wait to tell my mom and switch to fleece!

One more thing, Don't get mad at the fleece (Like me.) Mine didn't actually wick til about 10 washes in.:yuck: I got very mad, But anyways be patient!;)

One more thing, Don't get mad at the fleece (Like me.) Mine didn't actually wick til about 10 washes in.:yuck: I got very mad, But anyways be patient!;)

Haha thats actually good to know. I proally woulda gotten mad at it :eek:

Wow, that was increadibly timely and useful advice. I've been getting increasingly concerned about the bedding for my little guinea piglets and now I'm very excited about switching to fleece and giving that a good go. Very helpful thread, thank you.

My fleece absorbed all the pee the same day I use it without washing it :D

Switch to fleece!!! Today is day three of my new cage with fleece. I haven't felt even a drop of moisture on it. I have puppy pads, three layers of towels and the fleece on top. I haven't noticed any smell at all. I washed it with vinegar and unscented detergent and dried it four times before I put it in the cage.
I love it because it not only looks really cute, but it's so much cleaner. I'm still finding random pine shavings around my house even though the old cage was cleaned out days ago. I'm happy to be done with that mess.

I use to have care fresh and I hated it. It smelled like you said which in my room with 2 cats didn't help ( 2 of 3 cats sleep in my room so there is indeed a litterbox) . There is 1 pro to care fresh and that is you don't have to clean the cage as often. With fleece you can get a dust pan and broom to sweet the poop or use a hand vacuum. I think the vacuum is nicer. And you should put towels underneath the fleece and maybe some newspaper.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.