Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece for Pregnant Piggy

BrowniesMemory

Cavy Slave
I bought some fleece today in order to make a cuddle cup for a new piggy I'm getting Saturday since she appears quite pregnant (wanted her to have something soft to sleep on). However, I currently use aspen shavings in my guinea pig cages (Though for her quarantine cage I might just use a fleece blanket or something) and I was wondering if there was anything you could do to the bottom of the cuddle cup to prevent aspen from getting stuck on it? Also when washing fleece(mainly small items) could you just handwash in with a vinegar-water solution (or let it soak), rinse it and dry it or would you need to machine wash it with detergent or woolite or whatever?

In the future I am planning on switching to fleece with a kitchen area (probably of aspen), I just need to save up for the fleece and furniture pads.

I also have some questions for when I do switch to fleece:

If I fold a uhaul pad in half could I use just one layer of fleece, or would I still need two? Could I substitute a layer of towels for a second layer of fleece? Would more layers be more absorbent?

I've heard or one or two fleece users having problems with the piggies ripping holes in fleece. How could I prevent that before it might even start? Would a few cuddle cups and a maybe fleece-lined hidey house help?

Is fleece a safe and healthier choice for a pregnant sow and her future babies? Before anyone asks, I'm adopting a sow that certainly looks/acts pregnant by no fault of her current owner.

Also, if I want to have the fleece go up to the top edge of the coroplast, how can I secure it? Could I use velcro in places if I make sure it's securely attached and where the piggies can't get to it? Another thought I has was to sew fleece strips to the outside of the fleece and tie it to the grids, but I'm not sure how that would hold up in the wash.

I apologize for the length, I just want to make sure I do right by Mo and my boars. Two 2x4 cages are the reason I'm considering switching to fleece with a kitchen area, since a 4.0 cu ft bag typically last 2-3 weeks with one cage.

P.S. Mo sounds like she might be a good candidate for fleece since her current owner says she tends to only do her business in one corner of the cage. I'll have to wait and see during quarantine.

I was wondering if there was anything you could do to the bottom of the cuddle cup to prevent aspen from getting stuck on it?

Nope. Just shake it off before washing. You could make the outside of the cuddle cup out of flannel, but I don't know if that would help.

If I fold a uhaul pad in half could I use just one layer of fleece, or would I still need two? Could I substitute a layer of towels for a second layer of fleece? Would more layers be more absorbent?

You never need two layers of fleece. 1 layer of fleece, and 2 absorbent layers (uhaul pads, towels, etc.)

I've heard or one or two fleece users having problems with the piggies ripping holes in fleece. How could I prevent that before it might even start? Would a few cuddle cups and a maybe fleece-lined hidey house help?

I doubt you can prevent it, but it is rather rare in the first place, so I wouldn't be concerned. Cuddle cuts and hideys are always nice additions and weelcomed by the pigs.

Is fleece a safe and healthier choice for a pregnant sow and her future babies?

Either bedding is fine.

Also, if I want to have the fleece go up to the top edge of the coroplast, how can I secure it? Could I use velcro in places if I make sure it's securely attached and where the piggies can't get to it? Another thought I has was to sew fleece strips to the outside of the fleece and tie it to the grids, but I'm not sure how that would hold up in the wash.

This would work. You can also use binder clips or just fold the fleece under the uhaul pad/towels.

What about sewing a portion of old bed sheet to the bottom, though I imagine aspen would probably still stick to it if/when it gets wet. When I would put fleece in their hidey houses, when they were right side up (they're just small storage bins with holes cut in them), it wasn't that difficult to get most-to-all of the aspen off by shaking.

Did not know that about the fleece layer, that will definitely make it less money to save up.

I would definitely need to secure the fleece in some manner, at least when I do that to the boys' cage since they both like to burrow under fleece. Silly boys.

Have you looked at possibly using oilcloth on the bottom? It would make it a little slick, but there wouldn't be anything sticking to it.

Have you looked at possibly using oilcloth on the bottom? It would make it a little slick, but there wouldn't be anything sticking to it.

Is that safe if a pig were to chew it?

If it is sewn into the side pieces, I don't think there would be the problem of them chewing. I really don't know the answer to that. Guess I shouldn't have posted it as a suggestion. Sorry. :(

It's alright, I'm just being really careful. I'm cautious enough as it is with my boys, and with Mo coming to me pregnant I guess I'm even more so. I just want her to stay happy and healthy, same with my boys.

I agree with you!!! My piggies don't chew on fleece so I wouldn't expect them to chew on oilcloth so I never thought of that as a possibility. If it is sewn into the side seams, unless there is a wrinkle to get ahold of, I don't see where they could get ahold of it to chew. But, I as well as everyone else knows, there is always that possibility and I would hate to see some furbaby get sick/hurt from it. I will have to get some, make a cuddly and test it. I will post when I do. Maybe there are others who have tried it out there that will be on tomorrow.

My two boys will chew on oilcloth if there is a wrinkle or fold. They don't eat it, just like to bite at it and leave little holes. They completely leave the fleece alone. I have had good luck with "PUL" (barrier fabric) because it's not thick as oilcloth and apparently therefore not as fun to chew. For a cuddlecup, I would do all fleece so the pee flows through, helping to keep the bed itself dry.

On hand washing - I don't think you'd get it clean enough.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.