Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Do you need it?

kaite13

Cavy Slave
I am thinking of building a new cage, with no coro, just cubes. It will be a 2x5 with 2 L-shaped upper levels. I am not sure where too find coro, and the cubes are already a little pricey, so can i go without it? I use fleece, but I will make one level a kitchen, so maybe i will use coro there? The two upper levels will be connected by a bridge and the other part is a bedroom where I will use fleece. Could I use a mat under the main bottom 2x5? And then a shower curtain?

This is what I am thinking of doing, and feedback would be nice!

You dont have to use coroplast, it's just an easy method for building cages.

As far as the bottom floor is concerned, you can use a shower curtain if you wish, last time I was at my mothers I made a temporary cage where I just used linoleum and then put my puppy pads and then fleece on top of that. The only problem I found is because there was no lip poo can get kicked out of the cage.
(and it will!)

I can't read what your image says, but obviously the second level would be quite difficult to do with just a shower matt etc.

Ya I thought about that, the poo will get kicked out but maybe I can put carboard for the sides. I am not planning on leaving the second floor without coro or something. If I can find it I will defintly get it for the top levels, maybe the bottom levels. I may just do no coro temperarliy.

The second level would be hard, for the bottom like natashia said a shower curtain and fleece can be used, but to avoid the poo-kicking problem she mentioned, you can make a fleece "lip" by having fleece too big for the cubes, putting the cubes on TOP of the fleece and clipping the fleece up to the cubes on the outside, about 4-6 inches form the ground so there are little fleece edges. Doing fleece changes might take more work, but it can be better than poop all over your carpet.

, but obviously the second level would be quite difficult to do with just a shower matt etc.
I'm sorry, I'm slow today, but I am not sure what you mean?

Try this place (broken link removed)

I am not sure where I first read about this but coro, coro plast, or corrugated plastic's main use in the world is to make signs. So we called around local sign shops until we found a shop that would sale one piece to us. Be sure you tell them you want it for a guinea pig cage not to make a sign. If they think you are using it for a sign they either will not sale it to you or charge you and arm and a leg. We paid $16 for a 4X8 sheet. I very new to this but I found it easy to clean.

I am thinking of building a new cage, with no coro, just cubes. It will be a 2x5 with 2 L-shaped upper levels. I am not sure where too find coro, and the cubes are already a little pricey, so can i go without it? I use fleece, but I will make one level a kitchen, so maybe i will use coro there? The two upper levels will be connected by a bridge and the other part is a bedroom where I will use fleece. Could I use a mat under the main bottom 2x5? And then a shower curtain?

Where abouts in Ontario are you located. I built my cage two days ago and purchased my coroplast from a sign store in Simcoe Ontario. They are fantastic there. I got a piece big enough for a 2x7 cage and have enough left over to do something else with. The owner of the store was fantastic and he only charged me $20 for the whole piece! The store is called Stripe Art and they are located on #3 highway in Simcoe Ontario.

Today at Home Depot we found some lighting panels that would be perfect for the bottom of a cage. They are pretty cheap and if you are skilled with a utility knife you could make sides. You'd probably need 5 of them just for the floors of the 2x5 and loft. Just an idea. You could also buy some plywood and peel and stick tiles to waterproof it. For the first few weeks with my first cage we used big garbage bags. You could use a plastic tarp. I've used rubber mats in lofts before. As you can see there are many options you just have to get creative!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.