Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives DIY pool cage work?

You need grids or something inside the cage to make the sides higher. The edges are usually curved on these pools so there's no real way to put something on the outside without leaving a gap that they can fall into if they try and get out. I've used to use kiddie pools as a temporary holding pen while I cleaned cages. They jumped out with little effort. One of mine always jumped out as soon as I put him in. The sides need to be about 14" high to keep them inside.

Ok I will add that to the outside thanks so much I forgot that they might jump out.

Think about the cost of the pool and adding the playpen grids to make it jump proof as the picture you linked shows will cost.

The playpen at petsmart.com is 15.99 and shipping, not sure what a store would charge.

The pool is anywhere from 8.00 to 12.99 depending on the size and that is if they still have them at the stores.

Right there is the box of grids from Kmart or BedBath and beyond. With a heavy duty shower curtain, you can make a much bigger and safer cage in a shape easier to fit in different areas. But if you like the idea of the pool cage( it is cute) get the biggest one and start with that so you don't need to upgrade later.

Ok I think I will get the one that you posted then I can just order it that or see if I can find an exact match when I go to the store.

I know of a few people who use pools. They are always done in the hard plastic pools, not soft plastic blow up style. Since fleece is usually 60" wide, in the 36" pool you are looking at, you would have some room to go up the sides of the pool. I think it would actually be harder for them to chew the pool since the sides are high. I think it would actually be easier for them to chew regular coroplast. I haven't seen anyone who uses the pools need to put grids around them but I guess if you got a low pool and had a lot of stuff they could use to climb up they might be able to. You should probably measure the sides of the pools you are thinking about and make sure they are high enough.

Keep in mind you could do a 2x4 C and C cage for $32-$40 for grids and then used a shower curtain for the base temporarily or about $60 for the grids and coroplast. So if you want to do a C and C in the near future, maybe you should look into it now and save the money you are spending on the pool and allocate it to the c and c instead? Especially if you had to add grids around the pool anyway.

Just a thought since it really is so much more versatile and easier to deal with squares and rectangles. Also it will fit much nicer against a wall or in a corner than a round pool.

Ok I'm thinking about considering a 2X5 C&C cage (would do the 2X4 but I'm getting 2 boys) since the pigs would be going in my room and Like you said I didn't think about how awkward it would fit in a corner where a C&C cage could fit perfectly against a corner and your also right in the pool possibly only costing a little bit cheaper and it may be harder to deal with or make compared to a C&C cage I think the only reason I don't want a C&C cage is because I'm intimidated to make one ill just have to definitely look up videos on it on YouTube I'm just confused as to how it works if that makes any sense.

That pool takes water to hold the sides up. You want the hard plastic wading pool, like bpatters posted. You can use bedding or fleece for the bottom, rig up a water bottle and you are set.

Ok thanks so much will just get hers or really try and find one thats more like she posted.

The cage to build the first time is a bit hard. Watch the videos a few times to get an idea. It really isn't that bad. Just make sure you have zip ties and channel locks/pliers.

Think about the cost of the pool and adding the playpen grids to make it jump proof as the picture you linked shows will cost.

The playpen at petsmart.com is 15.99 and shipping, not sure what a store would charge.

The pool is anywhere from 8.00 to 12.99 depending on the size and that is if they still have them at the stores.

Right there is the box of grids from Kmart or BedBath and beyond. With a heavy duty shower curtain, you can make a much bigger and safer cage in a shape easier to fit in different areas. But if you like the idea of the pool cage( it is cute) get the biggest one and start with that so you don't need to upgrade later.

Thank you ill consider making a C&C cage as you said it would be easier to lift and fit better and could be bigger since the cost for the pool and everything could be $30.00 about and a C&C cage could not be that much farther from it.

The cage to build the first time is a bit hard. Watch the videos a few times to get an idea. It really isn't that bad. Just make sure you have zip ties and channel locks/pliers.

Thanks ill watch some videos to see how to do it.

Right now I'm looking up all the stuff I'll need to make a C&C cage and I found where to get grids (broken link removed)
or from here https://www.kmart.com/stor-floor-st...2xViglink&aff=Y&PID=6147642&AID=11042397#desc but I was wondering how many grids I would need to make a 2X5 cage? Because I think those come with only 6 correct me if I'm wrong? My next question is where to get chloroplast and how much do I need? Also what do I use to connect them and how much? My last question is should I build a second level or is it just not neccessry?
Thanks!! :D!

To me, building a C&C Cage is way easier than messing with sewing circles. It is not the easiest thing to get fleece the right size when you're just going straight but if you try a circle, that just complicates it x10. Of course, it is always up to the cavy slave to do as they might to please their piggerts but just forr ease of creation, I would go with straight lines as much as possible.

It really isn't hard to make a C&C cage, trust me. I'm really bad at making anything, and I was able to do this myself. You just have to measure, and double measure to make sure you're cutting the right amount. I used a video on youtube to guide me through it. The hardest part of making the cage is scoring the coroplast, just because you want to make sure you've measured it correctly, once you've done that everything else is a breeze. And maybe you could get someone crafty to help you out?

To me, building a C&C Cage is way easier than messing with sewing circles. It is not the easiest thing to get fleece the right size when you're just going straight but if you try a circle, that just complicates it x10. Of course, it is always up to the cavy slave to do as they might to please their piggerts but just forr ease of creation, I would go with straight lines as much as possible.

Thanks! I think I decided on making a C&C cage I'm just going to have to ask my whole family help me because I have 2 problems I don't know how to do anything and I get frustrated easily lol! I'm going to give it a try though with the the help of YouTube and google :)!

It really isn't hard to make a C&C cage, trust me. I'm really bad at making anything, and I was able to do this myself. You just have to measure, and double measure to make sure you're cutting the right amount. I used a video on youtube to guide me through it. The hardest part of making the cage is scoring the coroplast, just because you want to make sure you've measured it correctly, once you've done that everything else is a breeze. And maybe you could get someone crafty to help you out?

Ok I'm going to try and make one just have my whole family help out I just have no ability to make anything but I'm going to try if everyone says its worth it in the end! :) Would these grids work? (broken link removed)
also to make a 2X5 how many sets of this would I have to buy? Also what and how much do I connect the grids with? Thanks! :)

The kmart set comes with 23 grids, that makes 6 cubes. The BBB set comes with ( If I counted correctly ) 16 grids and 2 shelves. You need 24 grids to make a 2x5 with a bottom. I would get two boxes from Kmart and add a storage area base to it. Buy at least three hundred 6 inch to 8 inch zip ties. To tell you the truth, i have redone my cages so many times I am on my 4 thousand count bag of zip ties and use about 8 100 count bags.

Tools you will need while building

Pliers or channel locks
zip ties
box cutter
scissors
Tape Measure
Yardstick or something straight to draw the line from the measurements.
Marker or pencil for lines. ( I use a black sharpie because i have black coroplast, use a pencil if you are using white.)

Thanks I'll just go with the 23 grids and buy 2 and like you said use the other has storage or maybe I can make a little bit of a second level. Ok 6 inch zip ties will get as many as possible lol. Do you know about how much chloroplast and where to find it?

@Cheerfulangel2 I have those same grids from bed bath and beyond. Just one box of those would be more than enough to make a 2X5. The box comes with connectors so you can use those, or you can get zip ties and connect it that way as well which will make it even more sturdy. You can get zip ties almost anywhere, I even found some at the dollar store. I'm sure you'll make the C&C in no time, especially with your whole family helping you out! And also, watching a few different videos beforehand should also help. I didn't do that, I just watched the video as I was building and that made it just a tad more difficult than if I had prepared beforehand.

Opps, the coroplast is also called twinwall.
Home depot - where the glass and plexiglass is but it's only white. About 15.00
https://www.homedepot.com/p/72-in-x...Plastic-Sheet-COR-3672/202771364#.UfA05G3AHiU

Or you can check out some sign stores near you. Cheaper and bigger at many sign shops and different many colors too.

I now buy the black from this site's store. They have great colors to choose from if you can afford it.

You actually don't need to make a bottom with grids. I have a 2X4 cage and that uses 12 grids, so a 2X5 would need 14 grids. If you want to make a bottom, you will need more grids. I used to have my coroplast base on the floor, and my grids around the outside of it. Now I have my cage raised, so I bought another box of grids to make a bottom and a stand. So it really depends on how you want your cage to be.

Thanks so so much! I'll get the ones from bed bath and beyond as it will be cheaper to get them over 2 of the Kmart ones and I'll also just use the zip ties since you said it would make it more sturdy! I'm so happy now to know all the supplies and it was cheaper than I thought it would be I just need to find chloroplast how much of that do you need and where did you get yours from?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.