Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Diarrhea Diarrhea

Re: Not eating hay and pallets.

Believe me, having recently been through this myself, I know how much time it takes to care for a sick guinea pig. It took us at least a half hour per syringe feeding to get the Critical Care into her and trust me, I can sympathize. It takes a lot of time and patience. If she isn't eating hay then her condition isn't going to improve because she won't be able to grind down her teeth and you will continue the vicious cycle.

Have you weighed her yet? If not then you need to in order to see if she's eating enough or not. If not then she needs to go to the vet. That's it. The vet can't tell you what's wrong or diagnose her over the phone. If you can't or won't treat her then please find someone who will. If you can't find someone who will then maybe the vet's office will be able to assist you in rehoming her. A pet needs to be cared for even when it's sick. I'm sorry that you unknowingly adopted a pig with medical issues, but that isn't her fault and she still deserves to be treated. It's the humane thing to do instead of letting her slowly starve to death.

Moderator Notice: Please do not start new threads for conditions relating to something you have already posted about. Please keep any new developments or updates in the same thread. Thanks.

Your threads have been merged.

The vet is doing the right thing by not giving you advice over the phone.
If you can't afford her care, you can always sign her over to the vet.
I think you are misunderstood. If you are thinking that I didn’t take her to the vet or don’t want to take to the vet then this is a misunderstanding. She is in our house since 10 days and her 1st vet visit cost me $150. My daughter doesn’t have any medical insurance and she even doesn’t qualify for the medicate but I never paid $150 upfront for her medical needs. Anyway the vet hardily take 1 min for her examination and tell me the problem with the cost, and what make me disappointed that he just saw her mouth nothing else, which make me feel that he wants to make sure her next visit ASAP. And let me give you one example. Today before submitting my post I called to the vet and receptionist, I repeat receptionist, not the nurse nor tech etc, ask me the reason to talk to the vet and she put me on hold and just within 30 sec she told me that you have to bring her in today and as you don’t have the appointment, you have to bring her in the emergency and you have to pay for emergency plus the examination charges OR the next appointment is available on Thursday. Not in the whole world can anyone pull and open the patience folder and answer with in 30 seconds. Anyway my question is if that is an emergency then why she offer me to make an appointment and if its not an emergency then why she wants me to bring in the emergency. And guess what after this conversation my wife called me from her college and I let her know everything and today she get off a little early so she stop at the vet office. The vet was busy so the other vet in the same office talked to her, she garbed her folder and after reading she advise to increase the quantity of critical care and give her whatever she want and let me know after a week. She didn’t say like the other vet oooooo hurry up, bring her in.

And regarding signing her in the vet. I’m not willing to do this. I’ll see if I can find some other trusted vet around but lets suppose I’m ready to sign her for the surrender then there is no way I’ll surrender he to this vet because he is doing business. They are selling GPs for same market price. That’s a no cost profitable business. Even the pet store offers $10 off when someone uses their credit card and other one is offering $ 5 off. So I would never surrender her to the one who is using their goodwill for business.

Are you sure she's not eating little bits of hay?
No I never weigh her but I’ll do it from tomorrow. But today when I put her my back yard she ate a little St Augustine grass so I put a little in her cage. But I’m worried if she becomes habitual of St Augustine then from where I would bring that in winter.

If your kids were sick, would you say you were sick of them?
You are writing this because you have good and reliable vet and probable and hopefully healthy GPs. Please see my reply above and I really don’t like that you compare my kids with the GPs. So I’ll appreciate if don’t repeat this in future and if you couldn’t then please don’t give any advise. Thank you.
but with her teeth problems, she will most likely need frequent vet care for the rest of her life to keep her healthy.
I don’t mind to take her the vet in every 3-4 months but within every 10 days, I really can’t effort that.

letting her slowly starve to death.

I’m caring her at my best, almost everyday we spent around 3 hours just for feeding her and I’m not mad or frustrated from her, I’m mad, as the vet doesn’t diagnose and treated in the beginning because he wants me to bring her again and again. And as you wrote “letting her slowly starve to death” I have 4 full bags of hay with me and full bags of pallets and almost 7 different kinds of veggies and fruits specially for her in my refrigerator so I’m sure that she won’t die just because of starving.

Moderator Notice: Please do not start new threads
Sorry about that. No one responded me from Saturday thats why I submit a new post. And a request to all, please bare with my English if you don’t understand as it is not my primary language. Thank you.

I think you need to get a new vet! I took my piggies to the vet 3 times in the first month and a half and paid about $150 total!

I pay $40 per vet visit and I can bring both piggies in at the same time. Then for medications (if they need them) it is about $10, the ringworm culture cost me about $35 and I was rather irritated at that, but I didn't want to use the medication if it wasn't ringworm.

I would be very upset to have to pay the vet that much and not get the problems solved right away, and I certainly would not expect to pay again a few days later for the same problem that wasn't fully treated the first time!

Hello! You said she liked the St Augustine grass. If the grass hasn't been treated with anything (like Weed &Feed or pesticides), keep giving her grass. At the moment she needs to be eating something that will help her digestion and keep her chewing, and if she won't eat hay, grass is the best thing.

I know you are working very hard for your guinea pig (I have read all your posts) and I think you are doing a great job. I know it is hard having a sick pig, because it is a lot of worry and expense, and I'm sorry you are going through this so soon after you adopted Ariel. I'm sorry, I don't have any new advice for you, but I would keep in contact with your vet (he was recommended by this site, so he is a good one) and encourage Ariel to eat as much food and drink as much water as possible.

I’m caring her at my best, almost everyday we spent around 3 hours just for feeding her and I’m not mad or frustrated from her, I’m mad, as the vet doesn’t diagnose and treated in the beginning because he wants me to bring her again and again. And as you wrote “letting her slowly starve to death” I have 4 full bags of hay with me and full bags of pallets and almost 7 different kinds of veggies and fruits specially for her in my refrigerator so I’m sure that she won’t die just because of starving.

I never said that you weren't caring for her nor did I say that you didn't have food for her. You can have all the food in the world, but if she isn't eating because of pain in her mouth or some other issue then she is starving to death. Critical Care is great in an emergency but she can't live on it indefinitely. She needs to start eating hay and veggies in order to keep her healthy and to continue to grind her teeth down. If she isn't doing that then she needs to go back to the vet. Remember I'm saying this as someone who has just been through this and your situation is sounding very similar to mine right now. We brought her in, she had her teeth clipped, she never started eating solid food again. It all sounds like what's happening to your pig except your pig is at least eating a little bit. I'm not picking on you, I'm trying to help your pig. I feel like I made some mistakes during Ethel's ordeal (I guess it's normal to blame yourself in this kinds of situations) so I don't want to see another pig suffer the same fate.

Ask your vet [or a new vet] about Reglan. It is a drug that induces g.i. tract motility. The problem may be that her g.i. tract is still stationary, but in order for an herbivore to function, the g.i. tract must be in motion constantly. When it stops moving that is called ileus, or stasis. It is very dangerous and the longer it remains stationary the closer the animal comes to dying.
Is she pooping regularly? She should be creating the equivalent of one big handful of poops a day. If your vet has already seen you for this issue, and you explain your situation to her, she should not need to see you again to prescribe Reglan. But it is URGENT that you are acting on this right away.
How often are you feeding her? Guinea pigs need to eat a minimum of every 6 hours when they are on Critical Care.
When giving Reglan I have seen an almost-complete turnaround in my animals within a day. They go from being low-energy and disinterested in food to tearing through their hay, pellets, veggies, and whatever else I can give her.

I think you need to get a new vet! !
In the same office there is some other vet. She seems better as she atleast comes on the phone and listen and give the advise. If she is checking my GP next time then I think she should be fine. Anyway will wait untill the next visit and deside.

Hello! You said she liked the St Augustine grass.
Yes, when I woke up in the morning she ate all the grass so I put some more but she didn't touch anymore. I think she is picky. My grass was treated almost 6 months ago and we have heavy rain after that, so I think it should be fine now.

I tried to cut the hay in very small pieces and try to feed her by syringe by making the hole wider but it didn't work. I think I have to make it more smaller or may be grind.

Ask your vet [or a new vet] about Reglan.
I called the vet and she told me just wait few days and if it didn't work then we will deciede. Thanks for the advise.

Will she take veggies from your hand? If she will, try offering her long strands of hay one piece at a time by hand. Just to get her used to it. Mine like the long strands better, and they get more chewing done that way. Even though mine eat hay all day, they seem to think it tastes better if I am hand feeding it to them!

I know that your piggie has problems with her teeth, but if her teeth were trimmed and she eats veggies and grass, then she should be able to chew a long strand of hay.

I called the vet and she told me just wait few days and if it didn't work then we will deciede. Thanks for the advise.

Correct me if I am wrong, but she hasn't been eating regularly for almost two weeks, right? And since she's been on critical care [6 days now] she has not shown a vastly greater interest in food?
Waiting a few days without changing her feeding/dosing routine is not really going to change anything, she's not going to wake up one day and decide she's hungry for hay or pellets; the longer her g.i. tract remains stationary the greater the chance is that she'll die. You need to be taking action.

She is eating almost the same she was eating before trimming. The only good diffrence I notice from yesterday that she is eating some grass and I saw a little more poop also. By the way what is g.i. means. We also call her vet today and ask about the Reglan and she told us that if you see more pooping then its means that working slowly. Anyway I'll make the appointment tomorrow if I don't see any imporvement.

And I really appriciate to all for your concerns and for helping me out.

g.i. tract means gastro-intestinal tract, basically her digestive system...

I sure hope that your piggie starts eating more and is able to get healthy.

Just so you are clear, for grass and hay, don't cut it up, as guinea pigs like to eat long strands. My four take the longest strands they can find and munch, munch away. When I pick grass in the garden I look for long strands, sometimes as long as 10 inches ! Good luck. I hope your pig gets better so you can enjoy her in good health.

Is St Augustine gave everything to her which Timothy have. In the morning I put Timothy, Orchard and St Augustine and she pick St. Augustine. Anyway I cut the Timothy about 4mm long and put it syringe and feed her. and she eat that. May be this practice make her habitual for Timothy and she started eating by herself.

It is good that she is eating Timothy hay, even in small pieces. What happens if you give her a long piece of it while you are holding her? Does she eat that? Even if you can get her to eat it one long piece at a time, that would be real progress!

(I'm not sure about the nutritional value of St Augustine fresh grass vs Timothy hay. Perhaps someone else will know?)

No she don't take any. She totally reject the hay and the pallets. But when we put that in her mouth she eat that.

I have a cayenne pepper plants in my back yard. While I was feeding her the Criticle Care my daughter was picking the cayennes and she also pick the leaves and she put the leaves on the same table where i was feeding her and guess what. She started chewing the leaves. I hope its not harmfull for her. But she ate a very little.

I'm not sure about cayenne leaves - please don't feed any more of those until we get some advice from a moderator about them. But the fact that she is showing interest in eating greens by herself is great news! Keep trying different greens (lettuce, etc) to tempt her into eating.

I'm not sure about the cayenne pepper leaves, but do not offer the actual cayenne peppers.

I really hope that she starts to improve! Good luck!

I've got my pigs for about 4 hours, and I tell you, there are tons of poop in the cage already.
They are still hiding from me, but eat a lot and poop a lot.

I'm not sure about cayenne leaves - please don't feed any more of those until we get some advice from a moderator about them. But the fact that she is showing interest in eating greens by herself is great news! Keep trying different greens (lettuce, etc) to tempt her into eating.
Thanks I'll wait for the moderator msg. But she is very picky, she won't take anything if it is repeated in a day or two. New development: today I notice that when we put her out of the cage she eat really good and my wife also confirm the same. Can you tell why is that, may be she don't like the bedding or anything because I'm using the papper bedding and her previous owner was using pine.
I also notice that when I was feeding her the small hay pieces, she was flapping her ears while chewing. So is that normal or it point something. Please advise :)

I'm not sure about the cayenne pepper leaves, but do not offer the actual cayenne peppers.

I really hope that she starts to improve! Good luck!
okay and thanks for the wishes.
I've got my pigs for about 4 hours, and I tell you, there are tons of poop in the cage already.
They are still hiding from me, but eat a lot and poop a lot.
You are lucky. From where you got you GP and what you notice before adopting.

An advise from all: It is my strong feeling that if she got any company she may get better. She don't move a muscle for hours. There is 2nd floor in her cage but she never got there, infect 99% of time I saw her on back/right of the cage. So I feel that if I got her a freind she may hang around with her and when she hang around she may become hungry. I understand that you all also have concern about my condition, but I just need an advise that what I'm thinking is workable or just my imagination, Thanks.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.