Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Curious as to what is the favorite food of the cavies!

MotherofGambit

Cavy Slave
So I know my Gambit loves carrots, celery, grapes, apples, and parsley (the parsley is a new found fave! I just gave him it yesterday for the first time, and he loves it!)...so now I am wondering what is the favorite food(s) of your cavies (You know, the ones you are a slave to!!) Thanks! Lets see how much our cavies are similiar or different in food tastes!

Gambit: (in order of favorite: grapes, apples, carrots, parsley, celery.

Mine all prefer parsley and cherry tomatoes, but green bell pepper is a favorite too.

My Charlie loves tomatoes! they are most definitely his favorite, he will dig through his salad pushing everything else aside until his finds his tomatoes. Charlie also loves berries. Blueberries, Strawberries, Raspberries, and especially wild blackberries. Chewie really like parsley and carrots.

Mine all love herbs!
Basil, Parsley, Thyme, Mint, Oregano, Cilantro, Rosemary.

Milo & Norbie really love fruit of all sorts, while Thor shuns most sweet treats.
Huckleberries though! They all go ape for those. They really started to warm up to my dad when they realized he was "bringer of the berries." lol

They're fond of cucumber too! Preferably when we peel one for ourselves, they'd rather have mostly peel and a little flesh.

Abby loves Green Leaf and Romaine lettuce, strawberries, kiwi, cherry tomato, green beans, baby carrots and cilantro.

Stuff she will eat, but could take it or leave it would be bell pepper, snow peas, apple, orange and red leaf lettuce.

Mine still refuses to eat green beans! LOL I thought he was for a day, but realize he had stashed them in his toilet & pee'd on them! Silly bugger! So I gave up on those.

Frankie will enjoy cilantro or bell pepper. It varies depending on what was bought at the store but he likes any sweet pepper and cilantro.

Mine like lettuce and corn silk best, but they like apples and green beans as well. I'm still working on bell peppers... they normally just nibble a little bit of it.

My Snowball loves green bell peppers, and they're high in C (and probably have lots of flavour too!) He also likes baby carrots, broccoli, celery, green beans, and fresh grass. He seems to be getting bored of romaine lettuce because I give it to him almost every day, he'll usually eat about half then ignore it for a while then eat the rest later.

Yahoo's is carrots. Rumpy will eat most anything you put in front of her, but lately she seems to want the tomatoes first. Strudel just likes whatever lettuce you give him. Dusty seems to favor cilantro. I'm not sure about Bunny.

Mine still refuses to eat green beans! LOL I thought he was for a day, but realize he had stashed them in his toilet & pee'd on them!

Clever boy! Abby pretty much confines her eating to the food dish, so I've never come across food she has hidden. Although, she didn't eat at her dish when she first came here. It was hilarious watching her sneak out to her dish, grab a piece of lettuce and make like a bandit back to her Pigloo. Only, she'd usually hit the lettuce on the entrance and it would knock it out of her mouth. She'd stick her head out, look at the lettuce and then look at me like, "look at what you made me do!"

I was actually surprised that Abby liked green beans. My local Publix did not have them for a couple of weeks, but when they got some in I grabbed about five. The cashier looked at the bag, giggled and asked me, "plan on having a green bean snack?" I said, "no, they're for my guinea pig." She got a kick out of that. Anyway, I wanted to introduce it slowly so I snapped one in half and placed it in Abby's dish under her lettuce. She nudged the lettuce out of her bowl and scarfed that green bean down.

Isn't it funny how different piggies have such different palates? My two boars hated strawberries, but loved apples. Abby hates apples, but loves strawberries. My boars hated lettuce. Abby eats it like she's never going to eat again.

Mine will not eat out of a bowl, unless it's his pellets. He wheeks something awful if I put his veggies/fruit in his bowl. So I put them on a blanket in his cage or a towel. He is SPOILED and he knows it.

The cashier looked at the bag, giggled and asked me, "plan on having a green bean snack?" I said, "no, they're for my guinea pig." She got a kick out of that.

The cashiers always comment on how "healthy" I eat, or how pretty my salads must be. I just let them think I'm health conscious unless they ask specifically...Then they're usually speechless. lol

The cashiers always comment on how "healthy" I eat, or how pretty my salads must be. I just let them think I'm health conscious unless they ask specifically...Then they're usually speechless.

I had to thank you for that post because it really gave me a chuckle. I went to the store the other night. I had a gallon of milk, a block of cheese, a container of ice cream, stick butter and a bag of green leaf lettuce. It was like a dairy train at the check-out and then BAM! There's something substantially healthier...and it was for the guinea pig.

I had to thank you for that post because it really gave me a chuckle. I went to the store the other night. I had a gallon of milk, a block of cheese, a container of ice cream, stick butter and a bag of green leaf lettuce. It was like a dairy train at the check-out and then BAM! There's something substantially healthier...and it was for the guinea pig.

Hahaha! This is even better, I went to Walmart at 11 pm because I ran out of lettuce and didn't want the boys to go without breakfast. I just so happened to run into a group of friends I hadn't seen in ages with nothing but lettuce in my hands...at 11 pm...They were quite confused until I confessed it was for my piglets. :p

I forgot to mention that my boys LOVE corn silk and husks. Surprisingly enough...they dont care for actual corn that much!

I always laugh to myself at my basket full of health food that's not for me. I have a whole section of the fridge dedicated just to my piggies. Every now and then my family forgets just how much I feed them and at salad time I get comments like, "Geez, the pigs eat better than we do."

Presly loves cilantro more than anything, while Pudge eats just about anything leafy, though he digs out the carrots first every time.

All of my girls will push everything aside for grass.

Lola and Lucy will pull the carrot out first while Ethel seems to go for cilantro first now that she'll eat it! Before they seemed offended by it. She's also a lettuce girl.

Lucy likes watermelon (she popcorned the first time she tried it! lol), cucumbers, snap peas, green beans, grape tomatoes.

Lola also loves watermelon! It was the first food besides lettuce that I could get her to eat. She's still working on her variety though she's eating more than just lettuce now that she's in with the other girls. I've seen her eat red peppers, tried cilantro, and she shared a green bean with Lucy last night. It was like the spaghetti scene in Lady and the Tramp!

Ethel likes carrots, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, and broccoli sprouts.

They also seemed to gobble up canteloupe yesterday morning. They don't seem to like mustard or turnip greens and are getting better with peppers, but can still kind of take them or leave them.

I have to spread everything out for Mogwai, otherwise he eats too fast and makes those funky noises that scare me. When I got him, his previous owner's mom said his faves were cilantro and carrots. He scarfs down everything though, but he went absolutely crazy over strawberries. He still drops whatever he has in favor of corn silk, though.

Lieutenant Dan's favorites are green pepper and corn husks, but he'll drop anything for strawberry tops (he doesn't much like the berry itself, just a few nibbles).

Sarge's fave is still cilantro. I give them the cilantro last, and he runs over to hoard it, so then I have to put in another pile for Lt. Dan. :)

Mogwai prefers yellow peppers over green, and the other two boys prefer green. They will let yellow sit until they have nothing else left to eat, and then they'd rather munch on hay. I've caught them deliberately pooping on their yellow peppers.

My piggies absolutely love Fennel, Mint and Nasturtiom

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.