Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cookie has a URI

Yay! Good job Cookie!

Thank you so much for your good wishes. Despite my best efforts, Cookie has lost another 14 grams - she's lost like 85 grams so far.

She did eat some hay overnight though so that's good. I am aggressively hand feeding her. I have decided to stop the antibiotic and just tell the vet NO more of this one! He can give me another one if he wants - or we can see if she has enough in her system to have cured the URI.

The cure isn't much good if it kills you right?!!!

Oh, she had a normal poop this morning!!! I was so excited!!! Only a piggie mommy can get THAT excited about a poop LOL!!! I have to keep my sense of humour here or I'll just go absolutely crazy.

Oh no... Poor cookie. I think you're doing everything you can right now, so just keep it up, is all I can say. Just make sure she's hydrated as well, give her water frequently. I will keep her in my thoughts- hope she gets better soon!!

We discontinued the antibiotic as of this morning. We talked to the vet and he agreed she shouldn't be on the antibiotic now. Hopefully the 8 days she was on it will be enough to kick the URI completely. She just can't continue on like this.

Her poops at times are very runny still. However, she is showing a little interest in food after I give her critical care. She eats a few veggies here and there and nibbles on her hay. I am syringe feeding her like 10 times a day. I am very tired. I got up in the night to feed her and then couldn't quit worrying so I couldn't get back to sleep - then had to get up again to feed her LOL. I wish I could just turn my brain off and sleep when the chance comes!!

The vet prescribed two more meds for her. We are now using ranitidine and sulcrate. The sulcrate is to coat her tummy and help harden her poops. The ranitidine is an acid reducer. I sure hope something works soon!!! That poor pig is on so many meds. I am always shoving a syringe in her face.

One good piece of news though - she gained 8 grams!!! I know that's not a big gain - but it's a gain!!! She has been steadily losing (100 grams in total) so to finally gain a bit is awesome!!! I just have to keep up the critical care and hope her appetite kicks in soon.

I posted the following on guinea lynx, but I wanted to update here too, so I am going to just paste it.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Well it's been 2 weeks now and Cookie has been up and down - mostly down though :( She has lost 125 grams - that's over 10% of her body weight!!

I thought things were looking up because her appetite seemed to start to come back when we took her off the antibiotic - but after a couple ups and downs she was absolutely miserable today. All her respiratory noises are back - crusty eyes and laboured breathing.

I am watching my poor baby fade away right before my very eyes. So, even though I was terrified to put her back on the cipro, I gave her the first dose today. I am going to make sure she stays on SOME antibiotic for a full 2 week course this time. I just pray she won't develop diarrhea again.

I also have bactrim I can switch her to if she does develop diarrhea on the cipro, but the vet may have something else in mind. I can finally call him tomorrow!! It sucks to have a sick animal over the holidays!!!

She is still on the cisapride but I had to cut the dose in half to avoid running out of it - I will have to get more if she is to be kept on this while I try to get her through the course of antibiotics.

She is on ranitidine and sulcrate as well. I have plenty of sulcrate for a week but will run out of ranitidine so need more of that if she needs to stay on it as well. I am hoping against hope that the sulcrate will help keep her poops firm and not let her get diarrhea again!

I have doubled her poop soup and am giving her extra vitamin C.

Am I missing anything? Is there anything more I can do to help her tolerate this antibiotic?

Believe it or not but I've seen a difference in her already since I started the cipro. The respiratory noises are much much quieter and she is perkier. She was standing up on the side of the cage begging for veggies earlier!! But she has her ups and downs.

Would bio sponge help her do you think?

She still won't eat much on her own, even though she is showing more interest in eating. I am syringe feeding her critical care every three hours round the clock. She actually held her weight so far today instead of losing like she has been the last few days straight.

Any advice and prayers would be most welcome. I am exhausted and frustrated and about ready to scream at this point :(

I am so worried that she's not eating enough hay to keep her teeth filed down. I dont' think she is strong enough to survive being put under to have her teeth done if that becomes necessary. I have come to the grim realization that if this antibiotic does not work, we may have to consider what's best for her and let her go. She's a fighter - and so am I - so I will do whatever I can to save her - I sure haven't given up yet!!!
[/FONT]

Oh Clotho, I am so sorry that Cookie hasnt been improving. I do hope you get somewhere, I can only imagine how hard it must be for you. Come on Cookie, you need to pull through for your dedicated and loving mum!

Clotho - have only just caught up with the news of Cookie's URI - what a journey for you - especially at this time. You have been doing everything and more to help your wee one - the only thing that went through my head when I read about her gas was a distant bell about giving olive oil (though I don't know amounts) which 'sits on top' of the gas - forcing it out the system rather than 'frothing' up further. I know that's not what you're looking for now - but though it worth mentioning for the future.

My girls and I will be thinking of you and Cookie - willing her to fight on, and sending you strength. :hug:

Take care, and update soon. x

Aww I am so sorry! I am sending well wishes and healing prayers for you ladies. Hang in there. *hugs for you both*

Well the cipro is obviously the right med for this infection. After one dose, Cookie was more alert, her breathing was much much improved, she was eating a little bit on her own, and she just seems overall improved.

She gained 26 grams yesterday!!!! I am so excited about that!!! Finally a gain rather than a loss!! I had added a little more Critical Care to the regime, plus ovol just in case she's still having a bit of gassiness and a little metacam to help make her more comfortable (only 0.1 mL).

I called the vet today because I need more ranitidine, cisapride, and sulcrate if I am going to get through 2 weeks of giving her the cipro. I also want the vet to leave instructions as to what antibiotic to give her next (if she develops diarrhea on the cipro) so that any vet can look at his notes and just give me the meds I need. My vet probably won't be in again until after new year's.

I am also syringing poop soup (lots of it!!) and some pedialyte with each feeding. She eats a few veggies after each feeding, and usually starts munching on hay when I put her back into her cage.

So far her poops are fairly normal. They are not getting runny yet. I sure hope I can get her through the 2 weeks without any diarrhea. But if not, I want to know what to do next. I have bactrim here and if the diarrhea happens on a holiday and I can't get meds, I can switch her to the bactrim if necessary.

Thanks for the good wishes everyone!! Please keep them up - I think they're working!!!

I am so sorry Clotho, I sure hope Cookie gets better real soon. What a battle you two have been through, this is just horrible. I am keeping both of you in my thoughts for a speedy recovery and please keep us updated.

Lots more good wishes coming your way!

The vet told me to take Cookie off the cisapride for now and see how she does. If she gets constipated, then I need to put her back on it. I have enough if I do end up needing it. I'm hoping to see a difference once she's off it.

The hard part is trying to balance out her system so it doesn't go too far either way. Right now we're just chugging along with critical care every 3 hours and her eating a tiny bit of veggies and hay on her own.

I have plenty of ranitidine and sulcrate now to get her through the next 2 weeks.

I will continue with the cipro, and if she does develop diarrhea (fingers and toes crossed that she won't!!!) then I will switch her to bactrim. I have bactrim here at home, so that is very good. I wanted to be certain I had the meds I needed - in sufficient quantities to get me through the holidays. It's tough having a sick animal during the holidays with things being closed etc. My vet isn't in again until Jan 4th.

Oh dear, I was hoping little Cookie would be alright by now, since you have been taking such good care of her!! Clotho, don't worry I am sure she'll get better soon! Just hang in there and keep us posted. Sorry that I can't help you, but I will send some good vibes for you and little Cookie.

Hi everyone!

Well Cookie gained another 26 grams yesterday!!! That makes just over 60 grams gain in 3 days - so we must be doing something right LOL!! She lost about 150 grams in total since she's been sick and has now put 60 of those grams back on. If she continues to gain like this, she'll be back to her original weight in a week or so *crossing fingers*. It's SO nice to finally see the numbers going UP on the scale rather than down.

So far she is tolerating the cipro well - probably because of all the other meds she is on as well. We are on day 5 now - 9 days to go!!

She is showing more interest in food, but still doesn't eat a lot on her own. I hand feed her 8 times a day, and usually she will eat 2 or 3 pieces of veggie with each feeding. Plus I'm pretty sure she is eating some hay in between. Not a lot - but some - and I"m hoping it's enough to keep her teeth ok until she starts eating again.

I am thinking I will probably have to wean her off all these drugs slowly once the antibiotics are done and the URI is all taken care of.

But - so far so good - things are looking up!

I am very relieved to hear! Go go cookie!

Way to go Cookie, keep it up! Clotho you are so strong and such an awsome piggie mom to be going thorough all of this.

We are cheering for Cookie!

I'm so glad to hear she's doing well. Pig hugs and kisses to Cookie...she's in great hands.

I had a few minutes, so I thought I"d update you all on how Cookie is doing.

I started putting her on a massage pillow before and after I feed her and that really seems to have helped her a lot. I also upped the amount of pedialyte I'm giving her.

Last but not least, I put her into a 2x4 cage and put my most submissive, gentle, sweet girl piggie in with her. Before I was afraid of her being contagious, but after 6 days on antibiotics I think she's fine. Her respiratory symptoms have all gone away.

She really perked up when I put Daisy in with her. She now actually moves around the cage - where before she would just lay there all day. She still won't eat at all on her own though - no veggies - no hay. *SIGH*

However - here is my big news!! Today we are getting normal shaped poops!!!! They are still a bit dry, but almost normal sized and they are properly shaped!!! I was so darned excited - I'm considering framing them!!!

We have 8 days left of antibiotics to go!!! Once that's over, we can concentrate on getting her eating on her own again.

I am so glad to hear! Keep hanging in there you two!

My poor little Cookie crossed rainbow bridge tonight. She took a huge turn for the worst last night - even with antibiotics. She stopped swallowing. She got very bloated and she was struggling to breathe.

We took her to an emergency vet clinic. They put her in an oxygen chamber. Her temp had plummeted to 32.9C. The vet told me that he believed she would not make it no matter what he did and that she was suffering. He was willing to go to whatever extremes we wanted, but he honestly and realistically felt her body couldn't take any more and that she would not survive.

We had to make the most painful decision ever and let her go. Rest in Peace Cookie!! I tried my hardest - I did my best - and I miss you very much!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.