Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Chewing on . . . nothing?

mamattorney

Cavy Slave
I've noticed both of my guinea pigs often silently chewing/munching on what seems to be nothing. Almost like a cow chewing its cud. It isn't an angry grinding of teeth or anything; in fact, they do it most often when they are quiet and content, possibly even while dozing. I know guinea pigs don't chew cud, that their systems aren't set up that way. Does anyone know why they do this or what if anything they are munching on?

I'm not sure exactly what they are chewing on, but all the guinea pigs I have ever seen do it. It could just be food that they snatched and then moved before chewing it thoroughly. My piggies do this all the time, like all day every day (not literally, but they do it). :)

I noticed Amy doing that during lap time when I first got her. At first I thought it was teeth chattering, but I've since learned what that REALLY sounds like. Guess it's just a piggy habit.

Here is a little known fact about guinea pigs that I just found out. When they do this it is similar to when a snake licks the air. Piggies chew the air to see what the vegetable to non-vegetable ratio is. If there isn't enough vegetables in the air then they will wheek all day long or at least until the problem is fixed. LOL!!!!

@bguardguy Finally we have a theory that makes sense! Haha :D

Well duh.. I mean its just science guys.

My aby Jumble does that particularly often. She has about 5 or 6 poo pellets in her cheek, saved up for when she is relaxed and inclined to reflect. When we took her to the vet for a baseline check up, he looked in her mouth and started laughing. He had to swab out her mouth and get the Mighty Magic Muffin power pellets out before he could check her teeth or anything.

Of course, Jumble was less than thrilled about having her Mighty Magic Muffin power pellets stolen. It does remind me of cud chewing, but with poos.

Felix always wiggles his lips around, so maybe that's it? He just moves his mouth. I think it's his way of smelling stuff. I really have no clue :p All I know is that it's cute!

my girls do this when they know i have veggies there not eatting

I thought they were chewing water. Mine chew for quite a while after they drink.

Both of mine do this during laptime. Do guinea pigs have cheek pouches like hamsters? It seems almost like they are chewing on hay or pellets that they were keeping in their mouths!

@scichai, they don't have cheek pouches like hamsters, but there is often food in their mouths, between their cheeks and gums. I have not idea if that's what they're chewing, though.

Mine do this when I pick them up. I always figured it's because they've come to expect veggies whenever I hold them.

Lol. I at least tried to make it sound like a joke..I guess not lol. My bad! :)

@bpatters When Izzy went to the vet she wanted to look in her mouth, just to make sure everything was okay. She went to look inside, and realized she had a huge wad of who knows what in her mouth. She said it's not uncommon for them to have food in their mouths, stashed, that they chew. They don't have pouches like hamsters, but they just hold food in there mouth sometimes.

@Wildcavy that sounds like Izzy! Everytime I take her out to cuddle it's like she has some stash going on. I never catch her snacking in the cage, only in my lap.

HAHA! I've noticed this too! I thought they found hay on my shirt or had grabbed some while I was trying to catch them!

Tigger chews on her water too. It's the weirdest thing. She chews on the water for like 30 seconds before she actually swallows it.

I think they have a natural tendency to grind there teeth when they're no eating, that way their teeth are constantly being worn down.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.