Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Change of Plans

Ama4884

Cavy Slave
James and I were talking it over last night and we have decided to adopt one more boy to complete our herd instead of neutering Andy and putting him with the ladies.

We will be keeping Lucy and Petal in one cage and Andy and the new boy (when we decide on one) in another.

We have limited space, so does anyone have ideas on where we can put two 2x4 C&Cs and if we can easily stack them and still have easy access to them?

We have limited space, so does anyone have ideas on where we can put two 2x4 C&Cs and if we can easily stack them and still have easy access to them?

Here's a design. It's two 2x4 L shaped cages stacked. If you made it a regular 2x4 you could also stack these the same way just with a different shape. I made the "L" so it would take up less space. If you have any questions just let me know.

I would pop out the corner and make the bottom 3 x 3 then give the boys that space. Put the girls on top in the L cage.

That accomplished 2 things. 1. there's absolutely NO way the boys can get to the girls so you don't have to worry about covering the tops of both cages which would make them less accessable. And 2. a 3 X 3 I think is a better shape for males, it gives them more space to be away from eachother when they choose to be.

That's a great idea! Here's a design of that for a visual.

Think we could see a visual of two 3x3s stacked together?

Sure thing! Here it is:

Stacked 3 x 3s would be VERY diffecult to keep clean I think as it would be pretty hard to get to the back of the bottom cage with out the cut out to lean through. And I would worry about the stability of that top corner when it's pointed out.

The picture in #4 is exactly what I was suggesting. If I adopt more that's what I plan to build.

That's a good point. A 2x4 on the top would be perfectly fine for two sows without having to make that extra grid come out. You want it to be very easy to clean.

Yeah I think that is what we'll go with. I was just concerned with shaping the coro and fleece for an L-shaped top cage.

That's great you're adding to the herd! Can't wait to see pics when you find a new boy.

What ever you decide on, check out the photo gallery. Some slaves have used drop fronts on their stacked cages for ease of cleaning.

If you are planning to have an open cage check out my photo gallery as I have a great stacked 2x6 that can easily be modified to a 2x4.

I have the girls on top and the boys on the bottom.

I have a two level 2x4. I was able to get away without using anything to support the top other than the sides, back, bottom, and lots and lots of zipties! :) So the bottom is entirely a 2x4, and the top is also entirely 2x4 (only subtracting ramp space!)
The front of the bottom is closed by a long door made with grids I "hinged" with more zip ties.
The coro is taped together super well so it can withstand being slid out for cleaning and back in!
I need to get a picture of it up! But I bet something similar to this woul work for what you need!

Can the boys smell the girls above them? Does it drive them mad with frustration? I have occasionally been mad enough to think of adding a pair of girls to my herd (currently two boys), but they'd all have to be in the same room and I worried about wafting pheromones.

Our boy Andy is in the same room as the girls in his temporary cage (he was quarantined for three weeks). They ignore each other for the most part. They all wheek in unison at veggie time though.

Oh...I thought quarantine was supposed to be in separate rooms, to prevent wafting bacteria...

He was in a separate room for three weeks before we put him in the same room as the girls.

Oh sorry, read that wrong. I thought you meant he was in a temp cage because he was in quarantine.
It is exciting that you are getting a new boy! I am sure Andy will like that! Is Andy a young pig that you will get an older buddy for, or will you get a younger 'brother' for him?

Andy is estimated to be five months old. The rescue we adopted Petal from has a young pig that she wants to go to someone who will take care of him. He was the runt and is about half the size of his brother. That boy is about two and a half months old.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.