Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Much? Calcium for Young Pigs?

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
I searched but I can't find exactly how much calcium growing pigs need.

One of mine is glutting himself on his alfalfa based pellets and I've noticed a lot of white in his urine (it's not gritty but definitely cloudy and whitish). The Vet says he's getting too much calcium in his diet which confirmed my suspicion that he's the one devouring all the pellets at night. He's always parked by the pellets while his brother's more often got his nose in the hay pile.

I've reduced the amount of pellets available and divided it up through the day which helped a bit but I'm still finding the occational stain in the bottom of the litter.

The vet says given they're almost 4 months now I can probably switch them to a timothy hay based pellet and got me a starter bag of Cavy Cuisine but they're still going to need calcium and I think the method I can use to control their intake best is if I add it to thier veggies via parsley and other calcium rich sources but I can't find how much they'll need to grow well. Will a couple sprigs of parsley mixed in with their daily greens do it or do they need more then that?

Most veggies have calcium in them. There really is no "specific" amount that I've ever found. I would switch to the Cavy Cuisine and feed a well rounded veggie diet. You can add in parsley 2-3 times a week, but I wouldn't give it daily.

Most veggies have calcium in them. There really is no "specific" amount that I've ever found. I would switch to the Cavy Cuisine and feed a well rounded veggie diet. You can add in parsley 2-3 times a week, but I wouldn't give it daily.

Good that's a simple change and a relief, the last thing I want is for him to get too much and develop stones or something. Thanks Ly&Pigs!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.