Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cages for humane society?

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I'm doing a project at a local humane society for girl scouts, collecting supplies, making starter kits with information on neutering/spaying (dogs/cats), nutrition, etc. (see https://www.angelfire.com/ultra/projectpetwakk (www.angelfire.com/ultra/projectpetwakk) for more info.) I was wondering, should I have people donate their old cages for small pets (not just pigs). Also, should I build some C and C cages for their pigs? How should I get the money? If you don't have answers to all, just try answering as best you can. I think it would work, but I am hesitant because I don't know if I should take on this new project as well as the others I've got going on. If you think I should, what size do you think I should make them? Connected? Seperate? I really would appreciate any input you can make. Thanks so much, and sorry to bombard you with so many questions!

you can get donation cages, and then maybe you could connect like two or three of these together to make a bigger cage. Another thing you cana ask for is old shelving units. then put plexi glass, wire, netting, mesh, or cubes over the front and voila! you have like, five cages!!!! these would probably be better for smaller animals like mice or rats, but it depends on the size of the untis.

as for raising money. you could have a walk a thon. you could call it race for the animals. all money collected could go towards buying new cages.

just some rough ideas. sorry i couldnt be more helpful!

Ooh, I forgot about the shelving. Thanks! I think the walkathon is a wonderful idea!... but, unfortunately, I have a huge project on my hands, IB classes in school, cross country, youth group, choir, etc. I wish I had the time! I'll keep the shelves in mind, thanks so much for the reminder!

your welcome!

mncavylover said:
I was wondering, should I have people donate their old cages for small pets (not just pigs). Also, should I build some C and C cages for their pigs? How should I get the money? If you think I should, what size do you think I should make them? Connected? Seperate? I really would appreciate any input you can make. Thanks so much, and sorry to bombard you with so many questions!
Are these cages to send home with people, to show what type of cage they should have or is this just temporary cages to house the animals while there. Depending on the answer, I think that makes a difference to the answer.

I would say you run the risk, when asking for cage donations, of becoming a dumping ground for every rusted out, broken crap cage out there. Then you have a bunch of stuff that can't be used and you have to dispose of it.

If you want to show the proper type of cage, photos would be better or if you can find the mini grids, make a display out of the mini grids and use a beanie guinea pig as a model.

If you want to provide more adequate cage space for incoming guinea pigs, I would probably make them no smaller than 2x2. Out of one box of grids, you would be able to get 3 cages that size. If you are able to get the grids on sale for $10....that is a darn good deal. Don't be locked into grids though, look for anything that can be modifed safely into a temporary cage. Shelving units, book cases, storage shelves ect I have seen some pretty nifty cages in the gallery done out of different things. Have you seen the bunk bed cage? Very cool. I would have them seperate unless you had someone very reliable sexing the animals.

Fundraising ideas: Ask local stores if you can put a donation jar out (when you ask, have information on your project available so they can answer any questions people may have), car wash, pet wash, recycle cans (our girl scout troop has made $10 since Sep doing this..not a great sum but it helps), see if your parent will host a Pampered Chef fundraiser for you (or something similar), ask in vet clinics about a donation jar, feed stores...anywhere people who deal with animals frequent. A Walk A Thon is a good idea, a pet walk (our humane society does this, we walk the dogs about a mile and then a priest or something does a blessing of the animals), pet portraits in the park....take digital photos of pets. Maybe a photography student can help. Digital cameras take great pictures and it is not very expensive to have them printed. At the store I use, it is less than $1 for an 5x7 print. Charge $5 for a 5x7 on the animal sitting on a rock or something. There are so many possibilities here...

I think that you should make just a mini one as an example like Noveil said. And maybe to promote the new owners (adopties) to make a C&C cage by offering to gather the supplies and make the cage for the adopties. But they would have to pay for the cage and for the gas/time. And what ever you decide to charge for your time/gas/labor you could donate to making a run for the piggies. Basically they would pay you to make a C&C cage for them. Personally for the short time most of those piggs are there at the HS (it seems that piggs in Minesota get adopting really quickly) it really isn't worth trying to make cages for the HS. But a maybe a really nice run, with toys and hidey houses. You could also donate Cavy Cuisine and stuff. I like the cage idea but the run just seemed like cooler idea to me. But what ever you like best, after all it is your project lol. Anyways I hope you get a ton of donations! Best of luck,
Cinn&sprinslave

i dont think it would work if mncavylover set up a system where SHE would go around and buy supplies for every adopter (remember, this is not only for guinea pigs. it is for the entire humane society). plus, this is just oone project she is doing, i dont think she want to jump into a life long commitment of having to buy people materials for their pet's homes.

loves2travel said:
i dont think it would work if mncavylover set up a system where SHE would go around and buy supplies for every adopter (remember, this is not only for guinea pigs. it is for the entire humane society). plus, this is just oone project she is doing, i dont think she want to jump into a life long commitment of having to buy people materials for their pet's homes.
Oh I was only thinking for the Guinea Pigs (remeber I am guinea pig crazy lol j/k), and only adopters that contacted her about it.... I didn't read thoroughly I guess lol =) . Well anyways the run still seems more practical to me. Or make a little gift basket for each adopted out small animal. They could be very practical. Guinea Pigs, A bag of Cavy Cuisine, and a toy/hidey house. Hamster, food and a wheel or tube. Gerbil, food, and something to chew on (seeing as they are chewers). Rabbit, food, and a toy. Mice, food and a toy. etc.
But maybe she should just do the cages lol...

I have always liked gift bags lol.
Be careful with excepting those cages. Some of them will be pretty gross...... But that would be pretty good if people donated nice cages to you! I once bought a cage at petco (only to use for quarentining, and it was before I stopped buying from petstores) for only $7 wored great since I only needed it for two weeks. Anyways I thought I would add my story lol..

a cage at petco was only $7???? was it really small or something? for a cage that cheap, i would buy it for traveling. my carrier was three times that price (actually, my carrier was three times the price of my entire C&C cage! weird, right?)

NoVeil, thanks for all the ideas! I really appreciate the fact that you gave your thoughts up and took the time to write them all. Those fundraising ideas are great, thank you! Also, I realize that some people will probably have icky cages, but I think that perhaps some will have decent ones. It will be better than the dinky aquiariums that the gerbils, mice, and rats have to live in if the cages are of good quality.

I was just thinking of donating these to the humane society because there are so many small animals there. I wish I had the time to go out and buy supplies for every adopter, but I just don't.

I am making starter kits for the adopted animals, the supply list can be found on the site I referenced in the original post.

I agree with you that photos of decent caging is a great idea; I hadn't thought of that. I also hadn't thought of having a mini model of a c and c cage! That's an awesome idea.

As for the cages just being seperate, I just meant should they be connected (as in using the same cage, divided with grids.) I have decided against this for multiple reasons, including mobility, disease, and mis-sexing.

Cinn&Sprinn, I also really appreciate your ideas. I just don't have the time or the means to get around to buying all of those supplies. (Remember, I only have my permit. =) )

The run sounds great as well, but I don't think there is enough space for anything like that there. It is a rather small facility.

I hope that I get some cages, at least a couple. I know that some people have had small pets and still have their old caging. I really appreciate all of your ideas and support, thank you! :D

Oh wellk they were just ideas lol. I thought it was a big HS, but I thought wrong lol. I really like the starter kit idea! Sounds great!

loves2travel said:
a cage at petco was only $7???? was it really small or something? for a cage that cheap, i would buy it for traveling. my carrier was three times that price (actually, my carrier was three times the price of my entire C&C cage! weird, right?)

It is 18in x 30in ! Perfect for a carrier or a cage for quarentining (sp?).....

Oh no, don't worry about it. Thanks for all the ideas! I mean, you wouldnt know. =)

mncavylover said:
Oh no, don't worry about it. Thanks for all the ideas! I mean, you wouldnt know. =)

Nope I wouldn't know lol..... Well good luck!

cinn&sprinslave said:
It is 18in x 30in ! Perfect for a carrier or a cage for quarentining (sp?).....
oh my gosh! do they still have it???? which petco did you get it from????? i want one! that is very BIG and perfect for Road Trips!

Yeah, for 7 bucks.. that's awesome! I haven't seen one under 70!

loves2travel said:
oh my gosh! do they still have it???? which petco did you get it from????? i want one! that is very BIG and perfect for Road Trips!
No they don't have any more, but I got it from the Petco out by Lowes, Home Depot, Target. I think it is in Hillsboro. Believe me I would have boughten more. They come in handy. Like for upper levels, carrier, quarentining, and while you are cleaning the cage etc. Just keep checking if you go there because I have gotten a ton of deals like that from there.
Yep it is good size for a carrier.

aaaw, man! i would have gotten it in a heartbeat. actually, i would have gotten like two! to put in my room for when im home and want them near me. stuff like that, just short uses.

loves2travel said:
aaaw, man! i would have gotten it in a heartbeat. actually, i would have gotten like two! to put in my room for when im home and want them near me. stuff like that, just short uses.

I got one and my friend got one too. They work out great. You can find so many uses for them. Even if it is short uses!!!!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.