Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? Breeds/Varieties

Glad to help :) For the breed, your piggy is a White Crested, but the varieties a little tuff. It's nice, and really fun to know the variety of your guinea regardless, but the main purpose of them is for cavies that show, but since mostly everyone on this forum are against that, it's ok to bend the rules of the varieties a bit. The variety is a Red Dutch, but in a show setting, there is no such thing as a Red dutch White Crested since White Crested's can't have white anywhere else on their body but the crest. Though as a pet owner, I would just stick to a Red Dutch White Crested.
I'm not against showing at all if you give your animals downtime. (Has a horse that trots onto the trailer to go to shows). So you're saying that to accurately describe her you'd say she's a red dutch white crested. But technically she's just a white crested?

Baylie- she does have a single ridge along her back it's just not easy to tell in this picture
Breeds/Varieties

Betsie- pretty sure she's a rex??
Breeds/Varieties

@Mizzimiz Can you tell me about my Piggy Boy? I posted page 5 midway :D

Hi @MizziMiz! Could you let me know about my latest additions? I know Lola is a Texel, probably TSW? But what about Piggy Boy Bradley?

View attachment 52321

Very cute, and congrats! Yes, the texel is a TSW, and the White Crested, Bradley, is a Lemon Agouti, Cream, and White broken. Lemon agouti isn't really it's own color, but if falls under the category of Dilute Agouti. so you can call it either, lemon or dilute (it's referring to the brownish color on the back)

Thanks so much! Max does have that white strip down his nose and then tan cream color sides on his face and rascal has one tiny patch of white under his chin then cream tan on one half of his face as the other side is black! There both from the same litter and are about 2 1/2 months old!

Ok, then I'd change it just a little to add the white, they would be Chocolate, cream, and white brokens :)

I'm not against showing at all if you give your animals downtime. (Has a horse that trots onto the trailer to go to shows). So you're saying that to accurately describe her you'd say she's a red dutch white crested. But technically she's just a white crested?

Thats really nice, I agree as long as they're not stressed out with shows too :) But yes, the best way to describe her is a Red Dutch White Crested, but at a show she would be considered unshowable.

Baylie- she does have a single ridge along her back it's just not easy to tell in this picture
View attachment 52396

Betsie- pretty sure she's a rex??
View attachment 52397

Baylie, for the breed, is an American/Abyssinian mix. For the variety, she would be a Silver Agouti.
Betsie is gorgeous! :D For her breed, she is a Teddy (at least in America, I know that a couple other countries have rex as a breed.) Her variety would be a Chocolate.

Very cute, and congrats! Yes, the texel is a TSW, and the White Crested, Bradley, is a Lemon Agouti, Cream, and White broken. Lemon agouti isn't really it's own color, but if falls under the category of Dilute Agouti. so you can call it either, lemon or dilute (it's referring to the brownish color on the back)

Thank you sooo much :) It's great to know lol

What color is this pig? This is Firecracker. She had a salt pepper face, white belly, black front, and cream backside.

MizzyMiz...hope you don't mind if I jump into the thread to ask about my piggies-to-be. We just lost our Binky yesterday and in my need to relieve my grief and find a friend for my other piggy Patsy...I adopted two females on Craiglist. Will pick up tomorrow. These are the pix the current owner posted, plus my piggy Patsy. I am particularly curious about the long haired one...is that a 'silkie?' Whatever you can decipher would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time on helping everyone on this thread!
[This is Ming-Ming and appears to have a white crested rossette on her head...or 'toupee' as her owner called it!]Breeds/Varieties[/QUOTE]
Breeds/Varieties[This is Snookie and she has a single black stripe on top of her head
[And this is my Patsy...no rossettes...slightly longer hair on backside...Standard American???]]Breeds/Varieties

Breeds/Varieties
These are my two girls. Tina is the one with more white, French Fry is the other pig.

Breeds/Varieties
Another picture of Tina.

Breeds/Varieties
A close up of Tina's face.

Breeds/Varieties
Breeds/Varieties
And this is French Fry.

I'm pretty sure they are American, but I was also thinking they may be satins? They are sisters. I would love to know what you think! :)

What color is this pig? This is Firecracker. She had a salt pepper face, white belly, black front, and cream backside.

Firecracker is a Chocolate, Cream, and White broken. :)

MizzyMiz...hope you don't mind if I jump into the thread to ask about my piggies-to-be. We just lost our Binky yesterday and in my need to relieve my grief and find a friend for my other piggy Patsy...I adopted two females on Craiglist. Will pick up tomorrow. These are the pix the current owner posted, plus my piggy Patsy. I am particularly curious about the long haired one...is that a 'silkie?' Whatever you can decipher would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time on helping everyone on this thread!
[This is Ming-Ming and appears to have a white crested rossette on her head...or 'toupee' as her owner called it!]View attachment 52843
View attachment 52844[This is Snookie and she has a single black stripe on top of her head
[And this is my Patsy...no rossettes...slightly longer hair on backside...Standard American???]]View attachment 52845

I'm so sorry about your loss :( But I'm more than happy to tell you about the piggies. The first picture is a White Crested for the breed, and a TSW (tortoiseshell and white) for the Variety.

The second is not a Silkie, but a Peruvian. There are 4 long haired breeds (not including the satins): Silkie, Peruvian, Coronet, and Texel. Texels are easy because they have curly hair, Coronets have long, smooth hair, with a crest on their head (like white cresteds), Silkies have plain, long, smooth hair, with a mane. Yours in a Peruvian because of the rosettes, which makes the hair a little crazy looking. You can also tell because of the frontal, which is the piece of hair that falls over the face. For the variety, its a black and white broken :) (sorry for the long description.)

It's hard to see the long fur on the back of Patsy in this photo, but from what I see here I'd say a TSW American. Sometimes the hair is naturally a bit longer in the back of Americans, but if it's much longer than an inch, she may have some long haired genes in there.

Hope this is helpful :)

View attachment 52878
These are my two girls. Tina is the one with more white, French Fry is the other pig.

View attachment 52879
Another picture of Tina.

View attachment 52880
A close up of Tina's face.

View attachment 52881
View attachment 52882
And this is French Fry.

I'm pretty sure they are American, but I was also thinking they may be satins? They are sisters. I would love to know what you think! :)

It's always hard to tell in photos, but from what I see, I don't think they are satins. Americans especially have a very shiny, natural luster, but satins have a unique shine to them that I don't see in the photos. So the breed is American, and the color is red and white broken :) hope this is helpful, and cute names!

I'm so sorry about your loss :( But I'm more than happy to tell you about the piggies. The first picture is a White Crested for the breed, and a TSW (tortoiseshell and white) for the Variety.

The second is not a Silkie, but a Peruvian. There are 4 long haired breeds (not including the satins): Silkie, Peruvian, Coronet, and Texel. Texels are easy because they have curly hair, Coronets have long, smooth hair, with a crest on their head (like white cresteds), Silkies have plain, long, smooth hair, with a mane. Yours in a Peruvian because of the rosettes, which makes the hair a little crazy looking. You can also tell because of the frontal, which is the piece of hair that falls over the face. For the variety, its a black and white broken :) (sorry for the long description.)

It's hard to see the long fur on the back of Patsy in this photo, but from what I see here I'd say a TSW American. Sometimes the hair is naturally a bit longer in the back of Americans, but if it's much longer than an inch, she may have some long haired genes in there.

Hope this is helpful :)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!! I pick the girls up tonight and I can't wait...especially now that I know their breed I am even more excited!!!!! Again, thank you for helping every one who has asked you!!!!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!! I pick the girls up tonight and I can't wait...especially now that I know their breed I am even more excited!!!!! Again, thank you for helping every one who has asked you!!!!!!

Aw, sounds exiting, good luck with them :)

It's always hard to tell in photos, but from what I see, I don't think they are satins. Americans especially have a very shiny, natural luster, but satins have a unique shine to them that I don't see in the photos. So the breed is American, and the color is red and white broken :) hope this is helpful, and cute names!

I've never seen any satins in person before, so I had nothing to compare them to, but thanks for sharing that info!

Breeds/VarietiesThis is Vladimir. He has a rosette on the right and one on the left. His head is chocolate in color, not black. The thumbnail is a photo of Nikolai without flash. To see if you can decide if he really is a satin.

Attachments

image.jpg
Could you please tell me what variety my Widget was. I know he was an American. And also what Hamm is. Hamm is first, Widget is the second.

Attachments

image.jpg image.jpg
View attachment 52938This is Vladimir. He has a rosette on the right and one on the left. His head is chocolate in color, not black. The thumbnail is a photo of Nikolai without flash. To see if you can decide if he really is a satin.

Vladimir is an American/Abby mix,for the color, he would be a Chocolate, Red, and White Broken.

as for Nikolai, it's close to impossible to tell if he is a satin from a photo, but from what I see I think he may be.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.