Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Breeding???

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuineaGuroo16

Cavy Slave
I am obviously very very new to this forum. I was about to post in Introduction but was doing a quick scroll through the topic to see whats up. I saw that it said for breeding and showing thread so I was checking out some of the threads and am very concerned.
I myself am a breeder (I breed for showing, not for profit) and I've herd lots of things about how some people can be rude, or believe very strongly in anti-breeding. This is one of the first and rare times I've run into this though I'm very aware there is plenty of it out there.
I wanted to ask exactly how this forum is with breeding, it's obviously not viewed well here but there is the topic 'The Responsible Breeder' And I consider myself to be one.
-I am a member of ARBA (ACBA is also run through that)
-I don't keep more than two pigs in a cage together
-They are watered, and fed every day
-I clean the cages once a week
-I sweep every other day, and clip nails once a month.
-I am educated in all the breeds, varieties, and genetics.
-I have pedigrees for all my pigs
-They have good sized cages.
-I know many people who want to buy guineas and I hand out a care packet with all the pigs I sell.
-I only breed once every few months.
-All of my pigs have names, they are not number, and get plenty of attention
-I am aware of diseases and symptoms and take them to the vet when there are concerns.
-I know the risks of breeding, and do not in-breed, I look into the pigs health to make sure there are no worries about the pregnancy.

I could go on, I do consider myself a responsible breeder and would like it if I would be accepted in this forum without constantly being harassed. I will be happy to answer questions and hope that people will be understanding.
If that is not the case I will leave. I have viewed other forums and it is very hard as a breeder to be viewed as someone who actually cares for their pigs. The same as you, I want to post picks, share info and stories.
:eek:

I am very aware that there are MANY horrible breeders out there that neglect their pigs. I DO NOT support that and love your CL threads about stopping it. I just want people to understand that NOT ALL breeders are horrible. I am disgusted though by people who accept themselves as 'breeders' but not accepting the responsibilities.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I understand that not all breeders are not horrible people. There are some good ones with caring hearts, and some that only care about money and not the welfare of the pigs. I can understand why some people breed, but in my personal opinion there are so many piggies in rescues and shelters that there isn't a need to breed. Of course, it is a very touchy subject around here and everyone has their own views on the matter.

From my understanding, this site does not allow any talk about the actual breeding. For example, if someone were to say "My sow and boar mated last night", would bring up some touchy feelings and heated discussions. You would have to ask T about it all, since I'm not totally sure. Since I have been here, I have never witnessed a breeder actually hang around the site (that is to my knowledge, at least). I'm pretty sure all other discussions, stories, pictures, info, etc., is allowed.

Again, I would ask a mod or pm CavySpirit. :eek:

Welcome to the forum! To paraphrase what Ellisa said, we are a pro-rescue forum and, as I'm sure you know, there are thousands of homeless pigs living in shelters and our main focus would be supporting those animals. Having said that, personally, I agree with you that there are responsible breeders and in my experience such breeders are very knowledgable and have a lot to offer piggie owners and, in my opinion, knowledge is what this forum is all about. If it were up to me, anything you have to offer as far as raising (not necassarily breeding) guinea pigs is very welcome.

It may start to get repetitive now but, yes we (well I) realize that there are some people who breed pigs (or any pet for that matter) and are knowledgeable and caring. With that said, I still wouldn't go to that person to get a pet, I do and always will adopt. Most of the people here will feel the same. Anything you can offer as far as care for pigs is welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Ok, thank you. I will try not to post anything about the actual breeding, but I have had lots of experience with cavies and have been in the 4H program. 4H is a grate opertunity and provided me with most of my knowledge of cavies, and ethics. I look forward to sharing my knowledge and stories.
I am aware of the need for less pigs because of the amount in shelters and pet stores all ready and there is not much I can do about it. Though, as far as breeders go I'm that big of one, and because I breed to try to get better show quality cavies not to make money I don't have a lot of execs piggies to sell. I support adopting from shelters and rescues and support the forums cause.
One thing I like about the breeder community though is that a lot of the pigs that breeders sell go to other breeders who then sell to other breeders so many of the pigs do stay within the breeder circle. Unfortunately though many of them also find their way to shops and rescues. :sorry:

With hat said said:
I can respect that.

More than half of the people I sell to are my mothers students. She is a high school teacher and her students know I breed piggies. Most of them I have to turn down because there aren't any left for them. The nice thing about that though is that they send us pic of them when they are all grown up. We just had a very sweet girl who was sick and having to get a lot of surgeries and stuff buy one from my recent litter in September. It's sweet to see her smiling with the piggy after she has been through so much.

One quick question. If I want to introduce myself on the intro forum I'm guessing people will ask for names, genders, and how many. Though I could give them the info for each and every pig... I'm guessing there would be some questions. Should I just not do an intro?

You're welcome here and you're welcome to do an intro. If people ask for names of your pigs, you're welcome to share as much or as little as you'd like. Folks are instructed - strongly - not to pry in that section. It does sound to me like you are a person who is trying to be a responsible breeder and you probably have a lot to offer in the way of piggy knowledge and care. What we don't encourage is folks who come along and promote breeding over rescuing and pet stores and mills, etc. Doesn't sound to me like you are here to do that or pick fights, so ... Welcome!

Last edited:
I will speak for myself when I say that I would LOVE to see pictures! As a whole, I think we all love to see them! Who knows, you might learn a lot here to help support an even better life for your pigs and we ma learn a lot from you!

It's the same for me. If you are RESPONSIBLE then alright... :) I also own bettas and I am taking my time breeding, for the second time I'll do it. It's never something to take light heartedly, as anyone who breeds or does not breed knows breeders are responsible for bringing lives into this world, and that it should be done properly to avoid problems in the genetic line, and can be done to help the genetics of a critter - rather than "wholesale retailers" who basically are quantity over quality people.

Welcome to the forum :p

Thanks again all!

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Hi guineaguroo, welcome to the forum. I haven't been on for some time, but I just h ad to reply. I am not trying to be rude but just attempting to understand and clarify your position on breeding in relation to here, which is essentially a pro-rescue and anti- breeding site.

I myself am a breeder (I breed for showing, not for profit) and I've herd lots of things about how some people can be rude, or believe very strongly in anti-breeding. This is one of the first and rare times I've run into this though I'm very aware there is plenty of it out there. .

People everywhere can be rude, weather pro or anti anything. This site was created with a purpose, I (politely) suggest you have a read through the main page and links, more than just a quick scroll through the topics. This may be very valuable for you to know exactly what this site and forum's beliefs are and why it is here.This is the NEWBIES READ HERE FIRST page https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/special-reference/32438-newbies-please-read-post-first.html this is a great place to start. in particular this part Breeding Guinea Pigs

I wanted to ask exactly how this forum is with breeding, it's obviously not viewed well here but there is the topic 'The Responsible Breeder' And I consider myself to be one. .

This forum is anti breeding. This forum is pro adoption.

Can you answer each and every point with a definate yes? Many are raised, not just the list you have of what makes you a so called responsible breeder.

-I am a member of ARBA (ACBA is also run through that)
-I don't keep more than two pigs in a cage together
-They are watered, and fed every day
-I clean the cages once a week
-I sweep every other day, and clip nails once a month.
-I am educated in all the breeds, varieties, and genetics.
-I have pedigrees for all my pigs
-They have good sized cages.
-I know many people who want to buy guineas and I hand out a care packet with all the pigs I sell.
-I only breed once every few months.
-All of my pigs have names, they are not number, and get plenty of attention
-I am aware of diseases and symptoms and take them to the vet when there are concerns.
-I know the risks of breeding, and do not in-breed, I look into the pigs health to make sure there are no worries about the pregnancy. .

A few polite questions.

"I am a member of ARBA (ACBA is also run through that)"

Are you aware of the ACBA purpose? The animal testing part? THe info is on the bottom of the second link I posted for you to read.

"I don't keep more than two pigs in a cage together"

What size are the cages?
You can keep more than two in one cage, depending on sex, and the size of the enclosure.

"They are watered, and fed every day"

What do you feed them and how much etc.

"I clean the cages once a week "

And more often if needed?

"I am educated in all the breeds, varieties, and genetics. "

How? Where/who did you study at/ learn from? How long did you study for?

"I have pedigrees for all my pigs "

Which means what exactly? I read that

"They have good sized cages."

What sizes exactly, and what type of cages have you got?

"I know many people who want to buy guineas and I hand out a care packet with all the pigs I sell"

Do you refer the people who want piggies to a local rescue? Do you follow up with the people you sell to regularly for the term of the pigs life? Do you do home visits before and after selling the pigs? What is in the care packet you provide? Do you have a no breeding contract with the purchasers of the pigs or do you spay or neuter prior to purchase?

"-I only breed once every few months."

How many litters does each individual pig have each year, and for it's lifetime? How do you go about choosing which pigs to breed based on genetics temperament etc?

"All of my pigs have names, they are not number, and get plenty of attention"

All pigs deserve this at the very least

"I am aware of diseases and symptoms and take them to the vet when there are concerns. "

Who is you vet and do they have emergency services? How often do you see the vet?

"I know the risks of breeding, and do not in-breed, I look into the pigs health to make sure there are no worries about the pregnanc"

So, what in your opinion are the risks of breeding? How exactly do you look into the pigs health? Do you regularly consult with your vet on this? Again, how many pregnancies do your sows have each?

More questions,

How many piggies do you have all together?

Are you aware of any unwanted pigs in your local area?

Again, I am not trying to be rude or mean, I just want to be sure that you have fully understood what it means to be a responsible breeder. And why you breed. :)

Whoa! Can we say elitist? I understand this is a pro adoption site, but isn't this also a pro information site? With this said, is it really worth potentially alienating knowledge and/or discourage the possibility of acquiring knowledge because someone cleans their cage once a week instead of as needed? What if GuineaGuroo16 has a life threatening question that kathrynj can answer, saving a piggie's life...isn't this more important? Honestly, I do believe kathrynj has some great questions...if I were living my life to judge others. I am not. I leave that to those with more time than I have. :) Welcome GuineaGuroo16! If I were you, if you NEED help...perhaps you can sign on as a different name and lie so everyone will treat you like they do others on the forum :)

What on earth???

Guineaguroo has come on saying she is a responsible breeder. I am questioning her on that.

You can say elitist, go ahead, sarcasm not stopping you.

This is a pro adoption site, and pro information site. This person has come on, scaned a few topics and pronounces herself a responsible breeder! With this said, if guineaguroo has a life threatening question, that I can answer, she is free to ask it and I am free to answer it. Not stopping anone there.

Out of the whole post, you pulled out the cleaning cage section. Wow. That was the most important huh?

It is actually against the forum rules to sign on a different account.

Talk about elitist......

I refer again to the links posted earlier. Every pig that this poster breeds and sells, is one less potential adopted piggie.

I do however apologise for the above post, it was posted in haste and without thought as I was not enjoying being called elitist and judgemental. I tried to edit however the computer didn't cooperate and now it is too late.

I have spent an enormous time money and energy in rescuing piggies that have been bred by people who know not what they are doing. My last rescue was a little lethal piggie who passed away 4 years 9 months after her unfortunate start to life. Her story is here. https://Lethal rescue, very small and very itchy

I do make NO apologies for my stance on breeding. It is a big picture.

There is also many many 'breeding' stories on this very site that tell the reality of 'responsible breeding'

The bottom line is exactly what is says on the link and I quote '#1 Rule for Breeding Guinea Pigs: DON'T '

Breeding Guinea Pigs

Last edited:
Honestly, I do believe kathrynj has some great questions...if I were living my life to judge others. I am not. I leave that to those with more time than I have. :) Welcome GuineaGuroo16! If I were you, if you NEED help...perhaps you can sign on as a different name and lie so everyone will treat you like they do others on the forum :)

I do not see anything in @kathrynj's response, or those of most pro-adoption responses, that is judging GuineaGuroo16 as a person. That's not what we should do here. HOWEVER, I do not see how one can take the stance that you cannot judge a person's actions. By your reasoning that we shouldn't judge someone's actions, that means that I should not get involved with someone who is only feeding their pigs iceberg lettuce and no hay or pellets. Or that I should let people off the hook for dogfighting or cockfighting because where they grew up it was culturally acceptable. You educate people by telling them the truth about your position and by giving them the straight-up facts about a given situation or how they are treating someone. If someone comes up to me and says that they do cockfighting (where it is legal in some of my former residences), I am not going to come up to them and say they are evil people. I am however going to say that what they do is flat-out wrong. Some of those guys I've talked to genuinely love and spoil their roosters, in a warped sort of way, but I am not going to back off to save their hurt feelings because someone is going to accuse me of being judgemental or "elitist."

And honestly, I find it disconcerting that someone can call a person elitist for being clear about a position on the welfare of animals, as if somehow those of us who come from rural, peasant backgrounds or who have less education can't be against breeding.

Anyone is welcome to ask questions about their pig's health. But this site doesn't hide its overall philosophy. So no one should be surprised if people immediately jump when the topic of breeding comes up.

And even an off-hand, semi-comical suggestion that someone should lie about who they are and what they are doing seems irresponsible to me, beyond issues of misrepresentation. How can they solicit useful information about piggy care if they are lying about what is up with the pigs?

Subjecting your pig to a process (breeding) that has a 20% chance of killing it is, in itself, raising a question of a "life-threatening" sort. I suggest that we are responding to that question, which is imbedded in any reference to someone as a "breeder."

welcome to the site.

I agree with the people before the argument started. I would honstly prefer to go to a breeder than a petstore (if the breeder is responsible and knowledgable). The rescues around here normaly don't have guinea pigs. my first chioce is to go to a rescue, but then I'd go to a good breeder.

I do have a question though;
Are one of those breeders that don't breed until they have pre-sold the pups?
I mainly agree with those type of breeders as they don't mass breed and the pups are ready for homes as soon as they are weaned.

Again, welcome to the site.

re·spons·si·ble /riˈspänsəbəl/
Adjective:
1. Having an obligation to do something as part of a job or role.
2. Being the primary cause of something and so able to be blames or credited for it.

Let’s take a minute to examine the definition of responsible.

The first point being obligated to do something as a job or role. Who said this was a job that needed done and why do you feel obligated to be the one to do it? There is an excess of pets in this world that are euthanized everyday, only for breeders to make more. I’m not convinced it’s a job/role that should even be around.

The second being the primary cause of something, therefore being able to accept blame or credit. I would surely like to here if there is any credit to be given to breeders. What good have they done? What deserves credit? The blame part is easy. Breeders are to blame for all the unwanted pigs in this world. For every guinea pig you breed one more is left in a shelter to be euthanized.

There is no such thing as a responsible breeder. You may take care of your livestock, but that’s just being humane…not responsible. Please don’t confuse the two.

I have no intensions of ostracizing those who come here looking for knowledge. They just have to be willing to learn all aspects of proper care. But, unfortunately many people only listen to what they want to hear and that is the exact opposite of responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.