Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) Boars or Sows and Cage Spaces?

rsgymjam

Cavy Slave
Hello!!!

So, I am pretty much done on my research for care and now onto the piggy part!

(I've asked this before but I just want to confirm again)
Depending on what the rescue has, I would want one boar or sow, or a pair of boars or sows. My cage options would be 2x4 or 3x3. I have seen other posts saying that for boars as they need more space, they would be better off in a 3x3. But, sows would work in either setup.

My biggest question would be; what setup is better? Would either gender be better in a 3x3? I believe another option could be a 2x4 with a 1x2 ("L" shaped) add on to the side for a kitchen area, or a loft on either the 3x3 or 2x4?

Sorry so many options!!! I want to have the best amount of space for piggies! Also, if I were to get piggies, I would be asking my dad to help me build a table for their cage to save money on grids.

Thanks!

-rssgymjam lol

OK, this is a really biased opinion, but I just looooove the 3x3!! 2x4 would work for a bonded pair of males, but it really depends. If you get males, I recommend doing the 3x3.
Here's a pic of my 3x3: Boars or Sows and Cage Spaces?

Gosh, in the pic the 3x3 looks so small and the pigs huge!! LOL

I'm speaking purely from experience here.

2x4 is perfectly adequate for two boars, generally speaking. It's ideal for 2 sows or a sow and a boar, 2x5 would be better for either and I personally love 3x3 or equivalent sized cages. They look 'clean', the extra width is great for running room and it looks nicer when all the hideys, litter pans, bowls etc are in, in my opinion.

If you do go for boars and want an 'add on' (1x2 kitchen, for example) I would definitely do it in an L on the same floor. Again, I'm speaking purely from experience of my boys and the fosters/boarders I've had, but I've found there's a lot more territorial behaviour between them when there's two floors. Also you then won't have the space taken up by the ramp and the barrier in running room.

Thanks for all of your replies!!!

@spy9doc I have never had pigs before, but I work with them at my local shelter! So, I typically would want a bonded pair so that they would have company when I was at school. Otherwise I'm not sure if I would do a loft for my first cage, but I would have extra supplies for one.

My only concern would be that my dad would most likely build me a table for the pigs' cage because we have cats and I feel better about having it up on a table. I would then want the table to be able to fit the cage size for a while. So, I would have to choose the dimensions right away so that he could build it to size.

I think that if i were a pig, I would like one level for a while, but then I would want my owner to please build me a loft :) So, I wouldn't have any problems with building a loft, but I still want to make sure that they have adequate running space. I'm thinking 3x3 so far with a loft added on later, so ya...

My available area would be suitable for either setup, 2x4 or 3x3 but I'm not sure I could go any bigger at any point in having the pigs. I could rearrange the setup once in a while, but I still want to make the table fit either way! Any suggestions here?

Having a 3x3 on a table would be pretty hard to reach in to clean and catch pigs. You'd need to leave some space around the table so you can access on all sides.

@lissie I realize that :confused: I just want the amount of space that would make my pigs feel the most comfortable...

OK, this is a really biased opinion, but I just looooove the 3x3!! 2x4 would work for a bonded pair of males, but it really depends. If you get males, I recommend doing the 3x3.
Here's a pic of my 3x3: View attachment 58129

I have to agree, mine love the 3x3 they are in now.

Would a 2x5 fit in your space? It would be much easier to clean when it's on a table.
Plus your dad won't have to build the table. The cage will fit on this one.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-by-Cosco-6-Foot-Long-Center-Fold-Table-Multiple-Colors/22959152

It would be cheaper to get an extra box or two of grids and build a double stand, that has so much storage space too.

The only thing I hate about the 3x3 since I use wood pellets and care fresh is the base, I can no longer have the double wide area to keep the hay basket and laundry hamper( trash can) under the cage.
I have the 3x3 stacked on a double base, one whole side flips down and a grid access on the other. Once I start getting the pellets out, I can slip the base out more or fully.

Having a 3x3 on a table would be pretty hard to reach in to clean and catch pigs. You'd need to leave some space around the table so you can access on all sides.

I mean no offense, of course, but that's not quite true. A 3x3 may be difficult for some people to clean/catch pigs, but it really does depend on the person. I, for example, have absolutely no problem reaching across three panels, but I am around six feet tall.

Personally, if given the option, I would always opt for a wider cage if at all possible. I do not like the 2-panel wide cages, and find them quite limiting.

It would be cheaper to get an extra box or two of grids and build a double stand, that has so much storage space too.
I agree about the grid storage. Since the OP mentioned her dad building the table, I thought I'd bring up other table options.

I mean no offense, of course, but that's not quite true. A 3x3 may be difficult for some people to clean/catch pigs, but it really does depend on the person. I, for example, have absolutely no problem reaching across three panels, but I am around six feet tall.

That's true. I'm pretty short. 3 grid deep cage didn't work for me at all.
Used to have this cage, and I can't reach the back. Since it's against the wall on all sides, except the front, it was very hard to reach in to clean.

(broken link removed)

I think im confusing everyone just a bit! The table would be fairly low to the ground, but I think it would be cheaper for my dad to just make one to size because I don't want the cage as high as the walmart table would make it. so ya- gtg for now but ill post more info tomorrow or later tonight. thanks everyone for your help so far and stay tuned :)

Alrighty sorry this is so late :(
Okay so starting from the very very beginning.
I want a 2x4 or 3x3. I could possibly make a small add-on later in life, but for now I would just want this for two sows, two boars, one sow, or one boar. Anyways, I would like to build a SHORT table thats height only comes up to mid-thigh at the most.

Now, my dilemma is the table. I want to make a "one size fits all" kinda thing, but I'm not sure how that could even work. My dad probably would only want one table, as he would be helping me build it, and we really have nowhere else to store a second one while the first is being used and vice versa. Also, the reason I would like to have my dad make it is because he is very handy, has a nice little workshop, and also because the tables you might buy at a store are about $40-$60. I'm still trying to convince him that I am responsible so that I can get pigs next year, and although if need be I would get a table, I want the lowest possible upfront cost with still great quality so that things will hold up for a while.

Sorry again I didn't reply right away, you know around Xmas its just so busy!!!

Why not make a grid stand? It's easier to make changes to the cage and stand. It's cheaper than building a table.

personally I have the 2x4 cage and im not too fond of the legnth... every time i try to get my boys out i have to chase them from one end to the other because they are really skittish... and a 3x3 would fit better in my room.... but thats just my opinion.... and with the table maybe he could make it have a way to expand it out... ill try to find a pic of what i mean

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro....3&ei=DaymUtm0OeeCyAG644CwCQ&ved=0CJIDEKYrMA8
like with this table, it has one to make it longer that the leg folds under and the extra legnth falls down.... maybe you could do that on the end to make it a 2x4 and take the extra foot off the end when you wanna make a 3x3 and set the front up? all you would need would be some hinges added to it to be moveable... you would just have to be carefult o not knock the legs down

Thanks for the replies!
@lissie I don't want to make a grid stand because I would have to use grids pricing equal to $40 dollars as we have cats and I would want it to have a stable base.

@courtneylushae that is an awesome idea!! Wow I'm really dull sometimes!! Haha yeah and then I could expand to either a 2x4 with a side add on or a 3x3 with a side add on or. Just a big L shaped cage!!!! There are a lot of options in my head that way! I would probably just have the add on section removable or hinged in a way where it could have two legs instead if one for support.

Thanks again to all for your replies!!! Each and every one of you has helped me out so much!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! :D

:p I was gonna get that desk as a craft table or acomputer desk but I never got to..., I think I'm goin t when I get money lol

Its really nice-looking! I wish it was miiinnnee!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.