Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Blood in Urine~ What Should I Do?!

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
I was cleaning the pigs cage, and had them on the bare Coroplast for a minute to keep them out of the way. I noticed that there was some pinky-red urine. I kinda thought, OK, that's weird... And cleaned it up. Later, I had them out for floor time, and I noticed it again. And there was a lot more. (Urine, NOT blood) At this point I was a little worried, so I went online and figured that it's either a UTI or a URI. But what's weird, is that I haven't noticed any abnormal behavior in the pig in question. No crusty eyes, squeaking when peeing, lethargy... Nothing. And, I haven't given them any veggies that would make their blood turn that color in the past month or two. Even when I gave them a urine staining veggie awhile ago, it wasn't anything close to this color.

I looked at their bums, and I now know which piggy it is. Should I separate her from Chloe her roommate, or should I leave them together.

How long should I wait until I call the vet to take her in? A day or two? I just put in an AC last night that blow directly into the cage. Could that be the culprit? Should I turn it off?
Ahhh!!!! I'm scared for my babies! D:

Don't wait to bring her in. If it's a UTI, stones or pyometra, she needs immediate care & pain relief.
https://www.guinealynx.info/uti.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/uti.html

Keep her on light colored bedding to spot further traces of blood, and track if it's from her urine or uterus. I should add that brownish dried urine is normal. Avoid AC that blows directly on them.

Thanks @HannibalLecter ! How could brownish urine be normal? The urine I saw was wet. How could I track if it was from her uterus or urine? Can they get their "period" like us, human women? I will definitely avoid that... I wonder the AC blowing may have caused it... Any ideas?

Thanks @HannibalLecter ! How could brownish urine be normal? The urine I saw was wet. How could I track if it was from her uterus or urine? Can they get their "period" like us, human women? I will definitely avoid that... I wonder the AC blowing may have caused it... Any ideas?

When the urine dries, it can oxadize turning into a darker brownish color. Nothing dangerous, more common in young pigs but can also be a sign of dehydration. Quite like the "morning pee" in us humans.

No they don't get periods, any blood from the uterus indicate that something is very wrong (Pyometra/inflammation of the uterus).
See if the blood only appears mixed with urine/during urination, or appears in smudges on it's own/around the genital area. But do get her vet care as soon as possible regardless.

The AC didn't cause possible stones, UTI or pyometra. But can increase the risk of URI. Best to keep them out of drafts as much as possible.

Actually, normal urine oxidizes to a more orangey color than brownish. And orange-brown urine can be normal in very young guinea pigs. How old are yours?

The A/C is fine, as long as it's not blowing directly on them. And it can't possibly be related to a urinary problem, anyway.

OK! I didn't think that they get periods, but who am I to talk... :D I made an appointment for tomorrow, so that'll be great!

I will keep them out of drafts! Thanks for the advice!

Umm. I'm kind of at a loss of what to do now. Any ideas?!

I noticed a red spot on the white area of a towel. I`m worried, too.

@NarwhalsRock, there's nothing to do at this point. You've got an appointment for tomorrow -- just try to relax until then.

@Abrosia, check your pigs to see if one of them has a problem with a nail. Blood in the urine isn't usually red, because it's dilute -- more pinkish. How old is your pig, and what gender?

@bpatters I was almost hoping there was! I just feel so helpless, having to wait, even just overnight. D: I wish there was something I could do... :( Oh, well. We'll know tomorrow! I'll post what the vet says just to see what others think of his diagnosis.

It's tomorrow! The vet confirmed that there was blood in her urine, and now I have to give her Baytril twice a day for 10 days. Then I have to check her urine again for blood using this meter thing he gave me.

All and all, the entire thing cost $115! $49 for the visit, $40 for the urine testing(!), $3 for the meter, and $23 for the Baytril. Ugh. There goes the birthday cash! AND I need to work to pay back the other $15 to my parents. Oh, well. It's a labor of love! :)

Glad you got some treatment for her. Do watch to make sure it doesn't recur, and if it does, ask him to x-ray for stones.

Reading all these chain, i m wondering, what does it mean if the urine is very brownish? I have noticed that the first day i got my GPs and did not notice again, as the fabric still clear (wet sometimes but clear) Just wondering why the brownish colour....

Blood in the urine oxidizes to a brownish color when it dries. Some guinea pig urine, maybe most, oxidizes to an orangish color due to the porphyrins in it. And young guinea pigs may have either brownish or orangish urine even before it dries, but that's normal.

It's tomorrow! The vet confirmed that there was blood in her urine, and now I have to give her Baytril twice a day for 10 days. Then I have to check her urine again for blood using this meter thing he gave me.

All and all, the entire thing cost $115! $49 for the visit, $40 for the urine testing(!), $3 for the meter, and $23 for the Baytril. Ugh. There goes the birthday cash! AND I need to work to pay back the other $15 to my parents. Oh, well. It's a labor of love! :)

Make sure you give a probiotic with the antibiotic because it can upset her digestive system which might cause her to she might stop eating.

Well, this was not oxidyzing, but the pee as coming out was not clear but brownish....

How old is the pig? And are you feeding them anything red or orange?

I dont know the age, but pretty young, i dont think one year old. As i have said, that was as soon as they came home the first time and did not happen again. I am not sure what kind of food they were having, but i am guessing not the most balanced diet but whatever veggies were at hand For sure I know not water was given as the previous owner told me that water was not good for them (!!)

Lack of water could have caused it! If you haven't seen it since you got them home, I wouldn't worry about it.

But just FYI, the young pigs that may have colored urine are just a few weeks old, not anything like a year.

Yeah! I was thinking was the lack of water, as the urine looked like "thick"
I know they are young, but i am not sure as the size, comparing to some pics, are pretty small the size of a coke's can

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.