Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Blood in urine takes how long to stop after antibiotic is started?

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Hey all. Our guinea pig Rose started having blood in her urine and we noticed it Friday morning. Got her into the vet about 1 1/2 hours after we found it, and got antibiotics and Critical care, and acidophilus. I was curious as to when the blood in the urine usually stops with a UTI that is being treated?

It's hard to say. It could also be stones. I'd keep her on bedding that allows you to monitor the color of her urine. If if it doesn't clear up after you use up the meds, I'd take her back to the vet so they can rule out stones or refill the prescription. Do you have her on pain meds, too? URI's are painful.

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, metacam. For got to mention it.
I am keeping her on bedding I can monitor her on. Have extra fleece and kitchen towels we have made pads ( fleece is white) and putting them in her house and favorite spots not only to check the blood but also to change out 2x a day to keep her extra dry and clean.

so the blood can stay for weeks? Yikes!

Good news is she has regained almost all the weight she lost and is eating veg by herself, but still or hay or pellet consumption. Still doing the cc several times a day...

Ty pinky for your reply.

No, the blood in the urine should clear up pretty quickly once on antibiotics if it's a UTI. A few days or so.

We lost Rose last week. She took another turn for the worse and became completely lethargic and would not eat at all. I could not even get her to chew while force feeding. Took her back to the vet immediately and we discovered she had a tumor on her bladder. We made the decision to pts and buried her under our plumeria tree in the back yard. Her "sister" is fine and getting lots of attention. Thanks for always being here (forum members and admins).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.