Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Bigger is better

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
Anyone who looks back on my pictures will see we have done tiny toiletry bins, cat litter bins and boxes, trying to contain the hay and give them a little at a time. Each time I thought my idea was great, but I have finally come up with the perfect hay area.

We bought a 100lb bale of lush green orchard grass (only $16, in California!). It took us a long time to commit to a bale, because we live in a condo and the bale is now in a christmas tree storage duffel bag in our tiny storage unit, but never the less, best idea ever!

We have an L-shaped cage, with 2x4 being fleece and uhaul blankets and 2x2 of it being a HAYBOX. We put a little coroplast wall up, low enough for them to jump over and high enough to keep it's content contained. In the haybox we have several layers of newspaper, then a thin layer of Yesterday's News, then a layer of the new beautifully green grass and then we keep adding a handful every morning.. We only need to clean it once a week. Lastly we added 2 twig tunnels, they love lying in those chewing to their hearts' content or napping.

I have never seen these boys so happy, turns out one one them likes to dig under the hay and then eat his was out! It's the funniest thing! He will get a running start and dive under the hay when I put it down. They spend so much time in the haybox I considered making it 2x4 hay and 2x2 fleece..

So, if you can get your hands on a bale, give your babies a hay playground, I can't believe I ever made them reach for their hay, watching them lay flat in the hay, chewing while they nap. They eat so much more now.

Here is a pic from this morning, after I cleaned it. Ignore the loft, we are trying to get them to start using a ramp so we can eventually move the haybox upstairs. We always dump a handful to rest on the roofs of the twig tunnels, for the little one to burrow in.

Bigger is better

Looking good :) I think I just might steel your idea !!! I am sure your piggy is happy...

Very nice! My pigs too are happier since they have a pile, the area here is 2x1 though, but they do like yours, burrowing in it and Doby runs to get "buried" under the new hay when I add some hahahaah. They also chew their way out and popcorn under it! Hay piles are the best thing ever for them. Mine more than doubled their consumption of hay.

I wish I had found orchard. I had to buy bermuda again. Glad your boys love it.

Glad your boys are loving their new hay area. It looks great! I wish I could find a bale of Orchard in CT.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.