Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Bedding for loft? Will wood pellets work?

theblueofnoon

Cavy Slave
I can't figure out what to use for the loft. I'd like to use wood pellets because I feel like that's the best option for my Texel's fur, but I'm not sure how they work in a loft. Won't they just roll down the ramp? Should I only put them in a litter box in the loft? Or are there better alternatives for the loft and my Texel's fur?

I personally tried wood pellets in the pigs litter boxes and I hated it. The pellets turn to dust and then that dust got all over their fleece liners. I really like using yesterday's news cat litter (or an alternative brand). The paper pellets are super absorbent and they barely track them anywhere.

You'd need to add a lip to the edge of the ramp or a tray on the second level to hold the pellets. My cages have half fleece and half bedding on one level. I also use unscented Fresh News for cats and have a low edged tray that fits into the cage. It doesn't get carried on the fleece, doesn't crumble/turn to dust and is extremely absorbent. When I clean cages, I find that there a lot of it that I can reuse. It's cheaper and better than Fresh News for small pets.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.