Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Baby Cavie w/older boar. What to feed?

Pandora4co

Cavy Slave
Ok, I just adopted a baby (I'm estimating about 1.5-2mths ish). Neighbor got him at a pet store that said he was 4weeks old, and they had him for about 3 weeks. He's in with one of my boars who's just over 4 years old. I know that baby's are supposed to eat different pellets and alphalfa hay due to different diatary requirements, but that older pigs can have problems on that diet. So what do I put in the cage? Do I get Oxbows baby pellets and alphalpa hay and hope it doesn't cause problmes for the older boar? Or just keep the baby on the same diet as the older boar?

They get fresh veggies every day, so far the baby is not eating them very well. I don't think he ever was exposed to them before I got him. My neighbor said they gave him hay and pellets (pet store crap, she gave them to me and I tossed them) and he eats pellets and hay just fine. I got him a couple days ago and did notice today he seemed a bit more interested and did try a bit of lettuce and a carrot.

Keep the same pellets and hay, but feed a veggie like parsley to the younger pig while he is separated (lap time or floor time) from the other fellow. Do keep in mind if he can squeeze through the cage bars you will need to address that. There are threads on baby-proofing a cage. Maybe he is big enough that you don't have to worry about it !

The nutrition charts that Ly made show which other vegetables and forages are high in calcium:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...g-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.