Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay APD 2nd Timothy hay quality?

Number1Sticky

Cavy Slave
Has anybody tried APD (American Pet Diner) 2nd bale of Timothy hay?

I usually get the 3rd cut from KMS Hayloft. But it would be over $60 for 45lbs.

I'm just wondering what kind of quality the hay is.

This is a link to the hay:
(broken link removed)

It looks good but not familar with this site. I now, after years of ordering online and from other sources, buy from a feed store near me. I paid twenty-six, twenty eight with tax, for a hundred pound bale of excellent second cut Timothy Hay. I am feeding seven so the price is a big deal to me. So pleased with my find. This feed store will bag it to in smaller amounts.

Yeah, I understand. I'm feeding one guinea pig and two rabbits. I unfortunately can't find a feed store around me that sells bales of Timothy hay. :( I live in the city so not many feed stores around me. The closest one only sells alfalfa hay.

The product that comes up with that link is for a "miniature" bale of hay... It says it's 6x4x10, and I think it means it's only 6 inches x 4 inches x 10 inches. Anyways, I've purchased from them one time only. I ordered the 5 pound box of second cutting timothy hay, and I thought it was awful!! Much of it was wasted, because the box consisted of about 1/2 nice, green hay, and the other 1/2 was nasty, brown hay. So that was the first and last time I ordered from them.

Yeah I noticed that after reading it most carefully.

City girl over this way Number1Sticky. Just a suggestion but I would call that feed store and check if they don't usually have Timothy Hay. If there are horses there is great hay somewhere close to you. If you have GP and/or bunny rescues they can help you find great hay and possibly sell it there at the rescue. Just a suggestion. Hope you find a great place to purchase quality hay.

I haven't tried APD. It's pretty cheap, I wonder if it's one of those compressed mini bales?

I have heard good things about Small Pet Select.

How about Oxbow? Can you find a pet supply store, or a veterinarian, near you that sells it?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.