Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wood Pellets/Chips Anyone used this brand of wood pellet litter?

Piggyheaven

Cavy Slave
It seems that because it is still summer over here in Australia getting wood pellets for things like wood fires are just not happening. I did find this brand of wood pellets used as litter not only for cats but for small animals as well. The site says they are non clumping and don't have chemicals, are eco friendly etc.
Has anyone used these before with good results? If so I might try them as the absorbant layer under my fleece but I wanted to make sure they are okay for my pigs.
Also, how much would I need for a 2 x 5 cage?

This is the brand by the way, for some reason it didn't come up >. <
(broken link removed)

Do you have feed store there, you'd do better looking for a kiln dried horse stall wood pellet.

It sounds like this product is kiln dried, I think...?

"Raw wood shavings and sawdust undergoes extreme heat and pressure during the pelletizing process, which extracts most of the resins, oils, tars, acids and water from the wood fibre. The remaining organic material gives the wood pellets natural odour control properties. The product reaches between 150 and 200 deg C under 320 tonnes per square centimetre of pressure as it passes through he pellet press."

It sounds like it is kiln dried according to their website in "detailed description".

I have a 2x7 CC and I use 2 40lb bags. I think 40 lb = 18 kilogram. I hope that helps

It sounds like this product is kiln dried, I think...?

"Raw wood shavings and sawdust undergoes extreme heat and pressure during the pelletizing process, which extracts most of the resins, oils, tars, acids and water from the wood fibre. The remaining organic material gives the wood pellets natural odour control properties. The product reaches between 150 and 200 deg C under 320 tonnes per square centimetre of pressure as it passes through he pellet press."

I know, I was looking at the cost, the 15kg equals about 33 lbs and cost 23.25 per bag. imo, I was thinking she would need two bags, so i thought if she could find horse stall pellets, it may be a lot cheaper.

Ah, I understand :)

I wasn't sure if they were indeed kiln dried or not as I've never used wood pellets at all so if you guys believe they are then that is great ^-^
As for horse stall pellets I am going do to the feed barn today or tomorrow anyway so I could probably ask them whether they have any, they do have horse supplies after all.
I thought about using the breeders choice cat litter we get for our cats but it doesn't seem to control odor very well with the cats so I can't see it working for the pigs either, plus paper pellets don't seem to have as many good qualities as the wood ones so.
On another note, what do you guys use for the loft/kitchen are? I've thought about skipping the hay bag and just filling the area with hey but the chances of them dragging hay down and all over the fleece is pretty high. :T

I wasn't sure if they were indeed kiln dried or not as I've never used wood pellets at all so if you guys believe they are then that is great ^-^
As for horse stall pellets I am going do to the feed barn today or tomorrow anyway so I could probably ask them whether they have any, they do have horse supplies after all.
I thought about using the breeders choice cat litter we get for our cats but it doesn't seem to control odor very well with the cats so I can't see it working for the pigs either, plus paper pellets don't seem to have as many good qualities as the wood ones so.
On another note, what do you guys use for the loft/kitchen are? I've thought about skipping the hay bag and just filling the area with hey but the chances of them dragging hay down and all over the fleece is pretty high. :T

For the loft, I use uhaul pads underneath the fleece. I don't use it as a kitchen area, it is a place when one of them wants to be alone.

My cage is all horse stall pellets and mini flakes, a huge area of hay just laid down in piles. The pellets I use are 40lb bags and 6.00. usa. That is why i recommended them.

I'm in Oz too and use the Oz Pet pellets. I have a 2x4 and use almost 15kgs. I've just switched to the carefresh which is cheaper but it doesn't last as long as Oz Pet. I've ordered fleece from deanos in Perth so hopefully that'll be the end of cat litter for me :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.