Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Advice on "Supa Guinea Excel Pellet"

AliceTittle

Cavy Slave
Sorry to keep asking these food related questions, but I am finding it impossible to find Oxbow products that do not have a rediculous postage and package, often double the price or more of the actual item. I am in the UK, and the local RSPCA has a small pet store which stocks this pellet. It is called Supa Guinea Excel, and I have think I have heard it is ok, but I don't want to get mixed up. This is the details...

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ingredients Wheat, Lucerne Meal, Cooked Non GMO Soya Beans, Peas, Oat Hulls, Unmolassed Beet Pulp, Brewers Yeast, Soya Oil, Dicalcium Sulphate, Calcium Carbonate, Fructo-oligosaccharides. Contains no added colours or preservatives. Vitamins guaranteed until best before date. Contains no coccidiostat.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nutritional Analysis Protein 17%, Fibre 15%, Oil 4%, Ash 6.5%, Calcium 0.8%, Phosphorous 0.5%, Vitamin A 22,000 iu/kg, Vitamin D3 1,250 iu/kg, Vitamin E (alpha tocopherol acetate) 100 iu/kg, Vitamin C 800 mg/kg, Copper as cupric sulphate 15 mg/kg.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Thankyou for any help!

I was told by daftscotslass last night that Burgess Supa Guinea Excel is on the 'good' list. HOWEVER, they may have changed the ingredients since she checked, because I asked last night about the ingredients in 'Pets at Home' pellets, and the list is almost identical to yours, and everyone said it is a rubbish pellet. Here is the list:
Ingredients: wheat, grass meal, soya, peas, oat bran, unmolassed sugar beet pulp, brewers yeast, vegetable oil, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, fructo-oligosaccharides (profeed ® min 0.25%). No added colourants or preservatives.

Typical Analysis: protein 17%, oils and fats 4%, fibre 15%, ash 6.5%, calcium 0.8%, phosphorus 0.5%, vitamin A 22,000 iu/kg, Vitamin D3 1.250 iu/kg, Vitamin E (alpha tocopherol acetate) 100mg/kg, vitamin C 800mg/kg, copper as cupric sulphate 15mg/kg. Contains no coccidiostat.

Worryingly similar aren't they, practically identical in fact! I'm really not sure what's going on with the Supa Guinea Excel, I would wait and see what other forum members say if I were you.

Just a thought on the Oxbow pellets, have you tried ordering them through a local vet? there shouldn't be a delivery charge.

Last edited:
Sorry... my bad. Was thinking of the guinea pig mix from Pets at Home... not the guinea pig nuggets. Believe it or not, both Excel and the nuggets are on the good UK list over at GL. The only other alternative is Oxbow which, if you can get it at a reasonable price, is fine. (Posted this on both threads).

Don't worry Alice, the Supa Guinea isn't the best becaus eit's got a couple of dubious ingredients, but it's among the best available in the UK, and if you can't get Oxbow, your pigs should be fine eating it. Mine eat mostly hay and veggies anyway, yours probably do too!

They sound fine to me - I'm also thinking about whether to get Oxbow or supa exel.

Thankyou for the advice! And yep, I give them about a third of a cup in pellets a day but there is always some levft over. It's the veggies they love! And of course, good old hay!

I use supa guinea excel, I used to give them pets at home but they got very chubby!! I need 10kg sacks so I can't get oxbow.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.