Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

adopting from craigs list and spreading the word!

cinnyminny

Cavy Slave
First off - good news! In the past two days I have showed three people the undercover video from Rainbow Exotic of how inhumanely the animals are treated before being sold to petstores. I convinced my friend to build a C&C cage to get her piggy out of his petstore cage and she's looking at finding a friend for him (a male friend of course! lol ) My brother bought his russian tortoise from petco and I showed him the video and now he knows not to buy animals from there anymore. Its only a few people, but it's a definite start.

On to my question...I've been waiting and waiting for someone to post on craig's list about rehoming their guinea pig, and today someone did! She's a pretty black and white short haired girl. I have one question though. Are there any precautions I should take before just forking over 30 bucks and taking in the little pigger? Her listing said that her family moved onto a military base and they could not keep her in their house anymore. She's asking for $30 and she's giving me the piggie, cage (which I won't be using as it is a petstore cage) food and bedding that they currently have. It all seems legit but I just wanted to ask anyone here if they have any experience with craig's list adoptions.

Oh, and I know I still need to do a formal introduction. But now I figure I'll wait til my 2nd girl gets settled in so I can do them both at the same time :)

Have you looked at (broken link removed) for any available pigs in your area? Guinea Pig Home is run by T (cavyspirit) who also runs this site and forum and in my opinion is more trustworthy than craigslist.

I havent had any experience with Craigslist although have heard of some scams going around. Saying that this case does sound legit.

You will need to quarintine the new comer (regardless of where she comes from) for 3 weeks. For more information on the quarintine period and introductions scroll a little bit past this article https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Neuter

One comment I have is this - do not just take someone's word for it that the piggie is female. If you don't know how to sex a piggie, learn how to do it. Make sure you sex the pig yourself before you take it home.

I have adopted a rabbit and 2 rats off of craigslist. I have a few suggestions, don't meet at your house, its best if you meet somewhere public, like a parking lot, make sure someone goes with you, if that is not possible make sure lots of people are around. If you are going to the persons house def go with someone else. Don't let this all scare you, most people on craigslist are nice people but like with anything else these days some people arent as genuine. Good luck!

I defintely agree with cavy carnage, be careful!!! People on craigslist are not all bad but you still need to be very careful. Also check the sex, quarentine as usual. I think with craigslist and with an add in the newspaper you are taking a risk with the animal with someone who doesnt "owe" you any kind of garuntee for thier animal, its a risk but well worth it if everything is ok. Check the piggie out before taking it, the nose, the eyes, listen to breathing, check any poop in the cage, these are just some precautions to take when picking the piggie up. Good luck

Thank you all for the good advice. I had expected to hear what most of you have said, I just wanted to make sure before jumping into anything. When I emailed her I asked her if she was absolutely certain if the pig was a female and she said "well it had a baby so, yeah it's a girl!" ....I'm not sure where that baby is and if maybe she got her from a petstore? I was planning on meeting her some place public with my boyfriend since I dont have a car myself. Hopefully everything works out!

Have you looked at (broken link removed) for any available pigs in your area? Guinea Pig Home is run by T (cavyspirit) who also runs this site and forum and in my opinion is more trustworthy than craigslist.

I havent had any experience with Craigslist although have heard of some scams going around. Saying that this case does sound legit.

You will need to quarintine the new comer (regardless of where she comes from) for 3 weeks. For more information on the quarintine period and introductions scroll a little bit past this article https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Neuter

my only problem with most local shelters/rescues require to know where you live. And currently I'm a college student living in a dorm room which I don't think they would feel comfortable adopting a pig to me knowing I live in a college dorm. Needless to say, I live in the room by myself so there is PLENTY of room. Her cage is free range practically (with all the safety precautions taken). Thats the only reason I've been using craig's list to find someone to rehome.

Are you allowed to have piggies in a dorm room? I would hate for your RA to find out and then you have to rehome your girls. :(

I actually adopted my first piggy from craigslist from a lady that lived close to me. I definitely agree that you should meet in an open place. We actually met at Walmart haha. You can try to avoid scams by looking at local listings for your area. I hope everything goes well.

You are smart to take your boyfriend with you. I met a lady on this site to adopt her 2 boy guinea pigs. She brought a friend and I brought my husband and daughter, and we met in a parking lot of WalMart. I would be sure and make sure the piggy looks well and I would suggest a vet visit when possible, especially since you don't know all of the health background of this piggie. Good luck, would love to see pigtures if you get her!

Are you allowed to have piggies in a dorm room? I would hate for your RA to find out and then you have to rehome your girls. :(

I worried about this too...no we're not allowed to have pets unless its a fish in a certain sized aquariam. luckily this is my last semester in the traditional dorms and I will move into the apartments next year. But as of right now my RA only comes into my room like once a month to do room inspections, and my boyfriend lives right down the hall so we put cinny down there during room inspections.

BUT if that were to happen I have a friend who lives off campus who currently has a guinea pig as well and if anything I could home my girls there until summer comes. Hopefully that won't need to happen.

You are smart to take your boyfriend with you. I met a lady on this site to adopt her 2 boy guinea pigs. She brought a friend and I brought my husband and daughter, and we met in a parking lot of WalMart. I would be sure and make sure the piggy looks well and I would suggest a vet visit when possible, especially since you don't know all of the health background of this piggie. Good luck, would love to see pigtures if you get her!

Yeah hopefully she agrees to meet us at walmart cause it's obviously the most public place to go and there is on that is only 1/4 mile away from campus. I'll post pigtures as soon as we figure it out!

I have adopted 2 of my pigs from Craigslist and it was great.
Be careful, make sure you talk to them in person on the phone before you meet them and if they want to meet at their house take a friend or hubby or someone with you. You wouldn't want to meet anyone alone at night in a bad part of town or in a dark alley!! Other than being cautious you want to make sure that they are not a breeder, which they do not sound like they are. Breeders tend to keep any cages and always seem to have more than one animal that needs "re-homing". From what you've said this person sounds legit.
I'm all for Craigslist! Let us know how it works out.

First off - good news! In the past two days I have showed three people the undercover video from Rainbow Exotic of how inhumanely the animals are treated before being sold to petstores. I convinced my friend to build a C&C cage to get her piggy out of his petstore cage and she's looking at finding a friend for him (a male friend of course! lol ) My brother bought his russian tortoise from petco and I showed him the video and now he knows not to buy animals from there anymore. Its only a few people, but it's a definite start.

On to my question...I've been waiting and waiting for someone to post on craig's list about rehoming their guinea pig, and today someone did! She's a pretty black and white short haired girl. I have one question though. Are there any precautions I should take before just forking over 30 bucks and taking in the little pigger? Her listing said that her family moved onto a military base and they could not keep her in their house anymore. She's asking for $30 and she's giving me the piggie, cage (which I won't be using as it is a petstore cage) food and bedding that they currently have. It all seems legit but I just wanted to ask anyone here if they have any experience with craig's list adoptions.

Oh, and I know I still need to do a formal introduction. But now I figure I'll wait til my 2nd girl gets settled in so I can do them both at the same time :)

I have been married to a military man for 13 years. In on base/ military homes guinea pigs "small caged animals" are allowed and don't count toward the 2 pet maximum. It is just an excuse. It could be that her home is just too small but not allowed is a bunch of bunk. Just be aware of possible untruthfulness.

Sadly, most rescues won't adopt to you because you're breaking the housing rules of where you live. Regardless of when you're moving out or how well you hide your piggie, I think you're heading for trouble. :( A guinea pig screaming for veggies is definitely going to be heard all over the floor.

Since you're moving out next year anyway, why not wait until you can get a place where your piggies will be allowed?

I have been married to a military man for 13 years. In on base/ military homes guinea pigs "small caged animals" are allowed and don't count toward the 2 pet maximum. It is just an excuse. It could be that her home is just too small but not allowed is a bunch of bunk. Just be aware of possible untruthfulness.

I know nothing about being in the military and what things are called but if I remember correctly, she said they were moving onto post. I don't think it's going to work out because she read one of my emails wrong and thought I wanted to wait awhile and said "I need to get rid of her asap" which made me a little mad that she said it that way. Hopefully she finds a loving home rather than just "get rid" of her!

Jennicat - Yes I know I am breaking the rules and I can't really justify anything because it is against my school's policy. And this may be just me making up excuses out of self defense lol but we practically live in jail cells! The walls are made of extremely thick cinder block. So far no one has claimed to hear any animals yet. I just think its stupid because we have a completely dry campus but people sneak on drugs and alcohol pretty much on a daily basis. I guess I just feel that my precious little piggy isn't doing any harm.

And the more I think about it, I will probably adopt another piggy this summer when I go home to Illinois.

Haha! I know what you mean about jail cells made from cinderblock! I'm in NC, too, and I'm a senior at Western Carolina University. I always wanted to have a hamster in my dorm room..... but my RA was a psycho. Where do you go to school?

I go to Methodist Univ. in Fayetteville (really small school). Even though I have the entire dorm room to myself its still basically a jail cell haha. I really dont think you can hear my little piggy through the walls. I live in a suite so I have to go through two doors to get into my actual room. Are you from NC or just a student?

UPDATE: So when I emailed the lady yesterday I told her I would be able to meet with her sometime this week. I explained to her that I wanted to be cautious about scammers and that she should be cautious too but that we could meet somewhere public within the next few days. Her email back said "yes my husband worries about that too and wants me to be cautious! Unfortunately we need to get rid of her asap. Good luck with your search, they are sweet animals"

I'm not sure why she couldn't wait another day or two. Hopefully she found a good home though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.