Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) Adding a Cagemate: Baby or Adult

mamattorney

Cavy Slave
Which is better/more reliable for a stable relationship? I have a female @2+ years old. I'm feeling out some possibilities for a cagemate. Three potential pigs are adults. One is a baby (born end of October). All are girls. Would the dominant/submissive nature of a pig be evident in the baby or does that come later?

I have 10 pigs so I've done lots of intros of adults and babies. My intros have all gone really well but I would def say the baby intros were the easiest.

Thanks for your response. I'm leaning towards the baby, too.

When getting a baby, be prepared for possible puberty problems in the future. Those teenagers. :p

Perhaps you can bring her in and see if she hits it off with any adults. Although, things can change when you get home. Babies will always be submissive towards the older one, and you find that out as they grow.

When getting a baby, be prepared for possible puberty problems in the future. Those teenagers. :p

Perhaps you can bring her in and see if she hits it off with any adults. Although, things can change when you get home. Babies will always be submissive towards the older one, and you find that out as they grow.

Thanks for your thoughts. Our local rescue doesn't do "first meets", and two of the adults were from that rescue. The other I actually haven't heard back from, so it looks like any adoption I would do at this time would be "blind".

Babies are easier to introduce to older female piggies because they will most likely take them as their own. But it can be done with adult piggies as well its not impossible. But since they will be adults you may just have to be a little more patient.

Babies aren't always submissive. I've a had a couple of babies that terrorized the adults. They can be just as dominant as any other guinea pig.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.