Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? Abyssinian or Peruvian

Aww @GGLuv I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with your boys! I hope things pan out somehow. Who knows? Maybe Patches is a loner pig. DC ignored him. So maybe you could have a set-up like @Wildcavy where Patches is set up alone and DC has a buddy? Or, if we're talking teenager(s) here, it might just be a matter of time before they get along again. Up to you; take as much time as you need! Piggy prayers, wheeks, and <3 coming your way!

Patches did have a companion who passed away. I was getting another companion for him. Patches is around 1 1/2 and DC is less than a year. When we first got DC Patches was very dominate but he didn't fight DC. DC went to the top and stayed there. I had recently built the 2nd level but Patches would not go up that ramp no matter what. So DC was ok at the top. The next thing I know DC came down and would not go back up and that's when the fight took place. I guess DC was tired of being afraid or having to leave on top so he fought for territory. I had only had DC a week.

@GGLuv I haven't been in your position before, not being a piggy owner myself, but I feel for you. I hope you'll be able to sort it all out.

I've heard stories of piggies who could only have one buddy and, after that buddy was gone, they became loner piggies. If I remember correctly, that's Jumble's story. She had a sister and after she passed on, she became a loner piggy.

Maybe that's what will happen to Patches and DC will need to find another buddy. It doesn't sound like he's the one with the problem.

Just a thought, correct me if I'm wrong... :)

No, I agree with you but what if I get a buddy for DC and the same thing happens again. It could be that since DC had that altercation with Patches, he may not do well with another piggy either. I just don't know what to do.

Ok, so how about trying this? I've heard rescues will have you bring in your piggy/ies to see if they would get along with what you have. You could do a few tests with their piggies. Or you could foster a piggy/ies and, if they get along with DC, he's got a new friend(s) you can adopt. I know your concerned, but maybe there's a rescue in your area that may be able to help you work out this problem?

IDK. Like I said, I have little to no hands-on experience. I worked with guineas before (at a rescue) but my hands were full just trying to take care of everyone's daily needs. There was only myself and the woman that owned the rescue. She never called for volunteers, so I just showed up. With what little information I have gleaned, as a (future) new owner, these are the kinds of things I'd start trying in an effort to make sure my piggy/ies weren't alone. I know my ideas are probably a bit weak, but I'm offering what I do have freely. I hope someone with more experience then I steps in and can better advise you.

I feel for you. I wish there were something more I could do to help! :( It's a helpless feeling, knowing that all I've got to go on are the words of those around me. I'd like some of my own experiences to draw from.

HOw big is your cage for DC and Patches?

Edit. Nevermind found your thread GGluv.

We do have a rescue here and I took Patches 2 or 3 times but was never able to find a match. I thought that maybe 20 minutes was not enough time to be paired so I decided to just get another one myself. Well, it's obvious that was a bad idea. Now I'm left with 4 choices: 1. Put one on top and one on the bottom. 2. Have them both on the bottom with it divided which doesn't seem like a lot of room to me. I only have room to extend the bottom just a little bit. 3. Take DC to the rescue place. I just don't know what to do.

What was the fourth option?

Is it possible Patches didn't find someone because he was trying to tell you he just wanted to be alone? Maybe DC would get along with one of them quicker. IDK, just a thought. :)

I guess I only had 4 options. The reason I wanted to find someone for Patches is because he did have a pal, Murhpy, he passed away in March. They got alone great. I got Murphy before Patches. While they did their little chattering at each other and the mounting thing, they never did fight. They finally calmed down and became the best of friends. I just thought maybe he was lonely after losing Murphy.

@GGLuv I know all you want to do is what's best for your cavies. I was just trying to brain storm some ideas with you to help you figure out what to do. Just having cavies, you're more experienced then I am. I wouldn't want to be in your situation and hope that you can come to a good solution soon.

I guess I only had 4 options.

You mean 3? :)

Oops, yes, 3 options. @CritterLuvva I really appreciate your help. I was stating everything I've already tried hoping for other alternatives/suggestions I hadn't thought of or tried. If you think of anything else, please let me know.

Thanks. I was starting to feel discouraged- like maybe I was sticking my nose in where it wasn't wanted, even though I was only trying to help. I have the heart of a giver and I love to give, but sometimes people don't want it. So I appreciate your telling me that.

The way I see it is this. Some piggies are only ever able to get along with one piggy and then that's it for them. Maybe, if they grieve like we do (and I don't know, just saying), they get so close to one piggy they don't really want to move on to another buddy. I wouldn't have any clue as to whether they might strike out in grief, not wanting another piggy to have the space the other piggy had. I know it's humanistic feelings on a piggy, and this is all speculation, but is it possibly true? There are a lot of piggies that have a hard time moving onto another buddy after the loss of their first, so it's not too far fetched, I don't think.

But as far as DC is concerned, from what I've heard, he hasn't even tried to go after Patches (until recently, of course- and then it was possible he was only defending himself). So if you can afford to build another cage- one cage for Patches, the other for DC and buddy- and you can afford to take care of a third pig, maybe you could find out if a buddy could be found for DC. Maybe Patches was trying to tell you something during all those failed attempts, maybe he wasn't ready for someone else, but what about DC? The attempts to match him with someone might be a little more successful.

I know it's not the best situation to leave a piggy alone, but sometimes that's what they want. It's rare, but it does happen. I would concentrate on making them both comfortable and hoping to have better success with DC. You might be able to get your second cage half price if you can find someone willing to get rid of their cubes for free/reduced price on CL or FreeCycle.

I don't have room for two separate cages. I'll either build the one I have out a tiny bit more or put build the 2nd level all the way across. I'm still not sure how I'm going to handle the situation.

I just looked at your specs in your prof. A lot of people have done a lot of really cool things with cages that big. You could build up instead of out. Build two 2x5's, one on top of the other. House Patches on one level and DC (and brother, if that's what you decide to do) on another. If they need more room after that, you could build up again. You can add lighting for the one who gets the bottom. Remember, singles should get plenty of lap time.

I was impressed with

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-guinea-pigs/72907-my-massive-cage-finally-done.html

She was able to build hers one grid wider (so 6 instead of 5), but you could do something similar with the space you have. I think she said she has 7 guinea pigs, and one's a loner right now. So there's 3 on one level, 3 on another level, and one on the last level. Would something like this work better for you?

Last edited:
That's impressive, I'll have to give that a thougt. Thanks so much for sharing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.