Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting 10 guinea pigs. My husband wants to kill me.

cavycuddler91

Cavy Slave
So I'll try to make the story short as possible.
You see, I'm from California. My husband and I moved to Tennessee only 3 months ago and before we moved, my 8 year old guinea pig Oko passed away (His mate passed away 6 months before). I was heartbroken. But my husband told me once we settled in Tn, I could adopt a few guinea pigs again. I did. Budington and Saber were adopted off a woman who no longer wanted to afford the care of them through Craigslist. Amazing little bonded boars. However, I really wanted one more that resembled Oko which was a silver agouti mix. I loved his soft grey hair. Eventually, I saw another ad of Craiglist from a woman that was keeping two guinea pigs in a cage that looked like a 12x12in cage. She needed to get rid of the boar since he got her female pregnant. (Duh? That would happen...) A little 7 month old feisty agouti mix. We named him Popper.
Now, when I was in search for guinea pigs in the beginning, I contacted all the local shelters..yet, at the time had no guinea pigs. A month passed and I get an email stating they rescued a ton of guinea pigs from a woman to started breeding them, then it got out of hand. So they were desperately trying to find homes for the few that were left. I begged my husband for just two more. He agreed. ;) And I decided to adopt Gibbons and Hedwig who were the "hard to adopt" guinea pigs.
I was happy at five guinea pigs.
However, me being the forgetful person I am, I forgot to delete my ad off Craigslist from over a month ago saying I was in search to adopt a few guinea pigs.
Another woman contacted me in dire need to rehome their adorable guinea pig because their 12 year old child refused to care for him after 5 months of having him. And they couldnt afford the care. If they couldn't find him a home, they were going to take him to the shelter.... I saw the conditions of the guinea pigs at the shelter... I had to take him. Husband, not to happy. What else was I to do?
That was a week ago.
Now today, I wake up to find a box on my porch. A box that was wheeking back at me. I brought it inside and thank god my husband was sleeping, he would have pooped himself seeing what I saw.
A mommy guinea pig with three little babies. Not just any mommy, but the female guinea pig that was with Popper when I adopted him. The woman I got Popper from wrote a note saying she got evicted and no longer had the place or money for her guinea pig "Miricle" and her babies. And that she'd know I'd take her.

......... :eye-poppi

Are you serious? Last night dropped to 48 degrees so I'm hoping she did in this morning when I got a little warmer. She explained that they are 23 days old and she had all girls.

I made a temporary cage with grids and plastic covering the sides, blankets, and towels on the floor, and upturned boxes for hidey houses.
I sexed the babies and she did NOT have all girls, as one had a penis when I pressed a little on the belly.

Thats 10 guinea pigs folks! TEN!!!!! :yawn:

Secretly, I'm excited. The mother is in a better place other than tiny cage and fed nothing but cheap pellets, and the babies are ADORABLE. :love:
I'm in love.

Now, I don't work. I have an immune disorder that makes me very weak at random parts of the day.. which makes me unable to drive or work. My husband provides everything. I'd really hate to make him pay for 10 guinea pigs.

I told him I wanted to grow some of our own vegetables ( It's winter though, so I don't know how'd that work out) and I want to start making fleece liners which would have him stop buying shavings every week for 3.. now 4 cages.

Now, the mother guinea pig is very tame. Very friendly. But the babies are NUTS! Wheeking and running around non stop. I'm hoping they are having fun and not in too much stress. They are chewing hay likes its going out of style.

Questions:

Do babies need a different diet? Never had babies this little and young before.

Does anyone have 10 or more guinea pigs? How do you handle that?

My lesson? I deleted my ad on Craigslist. And I know to never give out a home address. To just meet up somewhere.
However, I'm so happy to know they are in a better home after all this. And, deleted myself off the shelters waiting list. I'd save them all if I could. But I just can't. :/

What in the world am I to do with 10 guinea pigs and 7 dogs? I'm a sucker for rescuing the needy, sick, and injured!

Photo time:

10 guinea pigs. My husband wants to kill me.10 guinea pigs. My husband wants to kill me.
Above two photos are one the the baby females. She has dark ruby eyes and such a pretty color.
10 guinea pigs. My husband wants to kill me.
This is mama. Sweetest little girl.
10 guinea pigs. My husband wants to kill me.Other female. I'm thinking of naming her Bellatrix. :]
10 guinea pigs. My husband wants to kill me. And the only boy. Looks alot like his mom.

cavycuddler91

Cavy Slave
10 guinea pigs. My husband wants to kill me. And the grey/white.. agouti is the father.

Attached thumbnail is another of the little boy. He's very skittish and hard to take a photo of but this photo came out cute!

Attachments

6.jpg
Last edited:

cavycuddler91

Cavy Slave
Since we are on the topic of rescuing, here's my dogs.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Wow. That's a lot of guinea pigs! I've been bugging my hubby to agree to one more boy which would bring our total up to 4 but I want a baby, preferably an abby or skinny, so I may have my wait cut out for me. Ha!

I read your story and totally saw something that I would do. I can't turn down an animal in need either. Though with two preschoolers to add to the mix I only have so much time and attention to go around. I keep promising myself and telling my husband when the kids are older I'm doing sheltie fostering and rabbit/guinea pig fostering. He just gives me the "Yeah, sure..." line. I just remind him that he knew what he was getting into when he married me! I had 4 house rabbits, a gerbil, and a dog, he thought I was nuts but each one had their story of woe and they all needed a stable loving home. Same with the guinea pigs I have now. Each one needed someone.

I don't have 10 guinea pigs but I can imagine it's a little bit of work. Best of luck to you and your new herd of guinea pigs!

knj240

Cavy Slave
Well first of all WOW! 10 guines pigs!! But your piggies are ALL adorable! :)
What a heart you have and what a heart and some patience your husband must have ;) LOL They've got to, dont they!
I can't offer you any advice, I only own one guinea pig and I am having doubts as of right now adopting another anytime soon, although that is the master plan lol So I can't even Imagine 10!!
I'm hoping you can keep them all! Just try to be smart and think with your head and not your heart about keeping them all and what will REALLY make sense in both of your lives. I of course would be trying to keep them all like you, I get attached to animals very quickly as it is.

Babies are crazy lol My Evie is 5weeks and I got her around 2weeks ago, I've worked with every single day, most days having her out several times per day and now she is pretty tame...She is still skittish about certain things but over all turning into a calm piggie. Just takes a lot of time and patience, and letting them call more of the shots than you forcing things on them. And when I thought I wasn't making any progress, she would surprise me. It's very neat watching them slowly come around :)

Good Luck! & I am looking forward to seeing what happens, Keeping my fingers crossed for you :D

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
Wow, I don't think I could ever handle 10 guinea pigs and 7 dogs... That's A LOT of money, & supplies.

Are you planning on keeping all of them? Just because you ended up with all of the ones you have, doesn't mean you cannot foster them until they were able to find forever homes. Keep the ones you can take care of. Going from your original two that passed away is a lot different than taking care of ten. I'm not saying you can't do it, because it's do able, but it really is a lot of work. Not working or having other things of course would mean you have time for them, but I just have a hard time thinking how you can properly take care of all of them and 7 dogs.

If I were you, I would ask your husband what he thinks about it all. Sit down and have a serious conversation about what you guys can and cannot handle. If you guys can have them, then that's awesome! So much better than their previous homes, but don't feel bad if you have to foster a few until they're able to find their forever homes. If you do foster some just think that when they're gone they'll be getting someones undivided attention & so will your remaining piggies.

I only have five, so that's a little different! You deffinately have your hands full with all your new little ones. Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

sparkie42

Cavy Slave
Well I just think it's great that they have found themselves in a loving home, but also agree with the other replies that if it does get to be too much for you to handle to think about getting them adopted but if you are like me you won't be able to part with them. We have 7 boars and love every one of them and their individual personalities. I can't even guarantee that we'll stop at 7. It is an expense the more you have but as for their care you soon get into a routine of cleaning and playtime. Cage pads are a good way of saving money as 10 piggies will go through a fortune in shavings.
Good luck with all of your new babies and I'm sure you'll get a lot of love and attention back from them too.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
I agree about fostering. I did that with 3 piggies for about 3 mos or so until I found someone who I thought really understood what it would take to care for them. When I placed my ad for them it was very lengthy outlining the cage requirements and feeding requirements. I meant for it to discourage most people just looking for a pet for their child.....
Anyway, while I did enjoy having 5 piggies (I have 2 of my own), it WAS a lot of work and a lot of veggies and hay. Heck, you'd need a bale of hay each month for 10 piggies.

I think it's great you took them in, but maybe talk with your husband about the real costs of food, litter, etc and see if it's realistic for you in the long run. The last thing you want is for piggies to cause marital strife :eek:hmy:

cavycuddler91

Cavy Slave
Well, it wouldn't be the money that would be the issue but more so the time and effort it takes to have 7 dogs in perfect spoiled conditions and then 10 guinea pigs.
We just rescued a 10 year old Basset Hound that just came home from an extensive mouth surgery. So, with having to help her around the house, I do vacuum and mop twice a day as you can imagine the hair and little paw prints (think rainy days) lol. I'm a clean freak as my husband calls it.

I love each and every one of them. I get extremely attached easily as I always thinks I know whats best. Which I know isn't true but I live in a small town since moving from CA to TN and I've noticed animals out here are just, well.... animals. Dogs sleep outside on chains. Cats lying dead in streets. Rabbits are for eating. And guinea pigs the ones I see.. live in outdoor hutches. People don't see animals like I do.
My dogs all sleep inside. Get walked everyday. Go hiking, swimming, everything with my husband and I. Hell, they don't wear Walmart collars but only custom one of a kind ones. They get top of the line food and they get homeade food as well.
Same with my guinea pigs. Spoiled rotten. Live inside, in my sewing room. Huge cages. Good food, hay. Floor time everyday(try too) Organic fruits and veggies.
So I'm torn on what to do.
I've been thinking of rehoming one of my males that just can't get along with ANYONE. I've tried introducing him to over 5 other males of all ages. He beats them up bad. Always on new territory too. He just likes being alone. So that's another cage that could give me space. Also, the females possibly. But I've gotten extremely attached to one of the babies. So maybe rehome the other baby?
I couldn't bring myself to rehome any of my other. I just couldn't. That would only be two less, but still.
Hubby told me do whatever makes me happy. He's just worried that I'll get overwhelmed And he's also wondering what we are going to do if we wanted to go on vacation. - No idea.

Excuse this rant. It's sort of heart wrenching to think about giving up a few but the dogs are not an option.. minus one that we are fostering. So, time will tell. I'm in no hurry.

Last edited:

sewlittle

Cavy Slave
You get a piggie sitter for vacations that checks in twice a day. You will have to get someone for your dogs. Our babysitter also piggy sits too :).

shewhoshops

Cavy Slave
i had 7 at one time!! multiple females i owned came to us pregnant and well....i could not bring myself to get rid of them!! thank God my husband was understanding and we had big cages!! GOOD LUCK!! ..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.