Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores I sorry but I DISAGREE with most people on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Collie 99, Even when pet stores treat them well, there are many behind the scenes that you do not see. Have you been to all the mills where they get their pigs from? Do you know about the overpopulation issues with guinea pigs? There are many homeless pigs who need homes. There's no need for pet store or mills to breed more.

I must disagree with nearly everyone on this site. Not ALL Petstore Guinea Pigs are bad. I'm sorry but they are not. You can't just go off and say that every single Petstore on this earth is bad.

Okay, first off:
It's not that *every* pet store is a horrible place.
The whole entire point is: There are shelters FULL of guinea pigs that are bought for children and abandoned 6 months later when the kids get bored.

So, those guinea pigs often end up in high kill shelters. They become stressed or ill and people don't think they will find a guinea pig there. So the guinea pigs often end up dying by heart stick, a VERY painful method of euthanasia. and stressful for the often perfectly curable animal.

My local no kill has 73 guinea pigs for adoption right now. They are all healthy, happy, and nice pigs. I have worked with them a few times and volunteer there. Now, they don't kill them. But the lady that owns the rescue is worn out, she has a terminal illness, funds are low, her husband works to support this wonderful rescue. She ends up with sanctuary piggies most often from homes of people who bought pet store pigs and weren't told that pigs need to go to the vet. Often, she goes to high kill shelters and pulls the whole 'pocket pet' kill cart that's scheduled that day and brings them back to the shelter, has a vet see them, and has barely any grants.

The point is...shelter pigs need someone's home more than pet stores need your money.

No one tells me what to think. I see enough for myself with my own eyes; to assume that we all have this anti-pet store mentality because of what someone TOLD us is a fallacy. Just as presuming we hate all pet store guinea pigs. I can be against an institution if it goes against what I believe in. Wal-Mart treats its employees badly and puts small mom and pop stores out of business, creating ghost towns all over America. I don't need to go into a Wal-Mart to know that it goes against everything I am. Therefore, I do not patronize Wal-Mart.

If you're starting this thread to legitimize and stick up for your father's profession, that's your business. I wish you both well.

I agree with this. I worked at an independently owned pet store (though we didn't actually sell pets just supplies and bird training services). The older couple that owned the store was put out of business by all the massive pet stores opening up in the area. We used to occasionally adopt a guinea pig from residents in the area whose pigs were pregnant or whose kids didn't want their pets anymore. We would house them in a hand made cage (we only got up to three at a time) and try to find them new homes. If there were more stores like that I don't think people would have so much of a problem. But now I can't find a pet store that DOESN'T sell animals. I guess we were more like a pet supply store. I got to bring my hamster into work though. It was cool.

No one is telling you what to believe, only what we believe and support. Issues with breeding and pet store pets goes for ALL types of pets.

I beg you to go volunteer some of your time to a rescue for ANY type of animal and let understanding and education find you.

I am currently talking to a couple of rescues about finding a guinea pig friend as well as a bunny friend for our currently single gp and bun. There are 5 guinea pig rescues and I think, 12(!!!) bunny rescues just in my immediate area. All of them care for and adopt out pigs and buns that have been abandoned. If we can get people to adopt these pigs (who are likely pet stores animals, as you have already pointed out) and discourage people from buying them at said stores we would accomplish the following.. Less pigs in rescues (who, by the way, take back any pig you got from them if you decide you don't want it anymore, at any time, unlike pet stores), less pigs sold in stores ("stock" isn't moving so no need to order more), and less breeding (no breeder wants to end up with 200 pigs because no stores are ordering new "stock"). The ultimate goal is less animals in rescues and shelters. Which means less demand from breeders. Period.

Also, I leave you with this, 6-8 MILLION cats and dogs are euthanized every year in shelters. MILLIONS. That doesn't even include GPs, bunnies, hamsters, gerbils, rats, birds and whatever else people are keeping as pets.

I know many of you reading this have Petstore Guinea Pigs. Are they happy, heathly, clean? Are they living a happy life? Did they come to you with lice and worms? Are they living long lives. Most petstore Pets are lovely pets. Please don't judge a Guinea Pig from where it came from. Thats not right.

I HAD a pet store guinea pig, she based 2 days ago just less then a month after I got her. She was not healthy, you couldn't tell if she was happy. She came to me sick, has intestinal parasites and ringworm. She was being treated by a vet but was too far gone by the time she was actually showing bad symptoms. That just proves to me they don't care about the well being of their animals(atleast this one).

The main reason most people are against pet stores is because there are so many animals in rescues that need a home if you buy from a pet store it encourages a never ending supply.

I can honestly say that I will never purchase an animal from a pet store. I don't care if it's a huge corporation like Petsmart or a Mom and Pop pet store. All of those animals (with the exception of the pet stores who run rescues within their stores) come from millers and people who do not care anything about their animals. They care about the money. Yes, pet store GPs are mainly what ends up in shelters, however, they are animals that desperately needs homes and without those homes they will, in some cases, be euthanized. By adopting a GP from a rescue, shelter, or private party who is looking to rehome a pet Guinea Pig, you are NOT supporting the pet mill industry... and the suffering of thousands and thousands of breeding animals.

It is true that not all pet stores take horrible care of their animals- and not even all chain stores are of equal quality. There is a local petsmart where although they still have those horrible tiny aquarium cages (which I image are something built into the store on construction and so a particular store has no say in it) they are always amazingly clean (perfectly clean glass and they seem to spot clean the cages constantly since there is almost never any soiled bedding), they even give the GPs hay which I find is pretty rare in petstores. The attendant even started talking to me about C&C cages! They also support the local no-kill feline shelter (which I volunteer at) and help find homes for them which is very important since the shelter only has volunteers or visitors with appointments come through to reduce stress so its harder to place animals since there isn't unhindered public viewing. Likewise, there is another petstore in the area which only houses small numbers of animals in large cages (the GP have ~6 square feet and rarely have more than 2 to a cage).

I also agree that it would AMAZING if guinea pigs could get that initial great home from the pet store and not need to go to a rescue. If this was the case there would likely be less mill and excess breeding simply because there wouldn't be the turnover in pet stores (people would have the pets and not be looking for more after they got bored of the last one and got rid of it). We don't have an issue with pet store pigs. At the end of the day many of our pigs probably passed through the hands of a petstore at one point since they are main access point. Perhaps a few were purchases straight from a breeder or from someone who ended up with pups or a rescue who consequently got them. But most do pass through a petstore, for better or for worse.

I also understand why you might be posting here, there is little point to voicing your opinion elsewhere since you'd simply be talking behind our back. However, boards like this are common and it would be great to check if there were similar boards before making a new one. Also, you are unlikely to have much influence here.

Sure there are unfair generalizations. Not everyone who runs a pet store does only for profit, perhaps they want to spread the joy of pet ownership and do their best to advocate for good pet ownership. I'm sure one exists out there, like a half-way house for rescue animals that doesn't take animals from mills or intentional breeders. I might not have seen it, but who's to say it doesn't exist. Not everyone who breeds animals does so because they simply want to see puppies and make a few bucks. There are those out there that dedicatedly follow lines and genetics to try to eliminate issues from a breed and spend more money showing, caring for, and paying vet bills than they're likely to ever make, or at least break even. They do intensive background checks, check up on the animal, and make you pay an additional deposit to make sure you fix any animal they sell when they're old enough to safely do so. Likewise, there are many people who work at petstores who do respect and care about the well being of the animals. Perhaps they cannot influence the state of the store but they CAN give educated knowledge to the buyer to hopefully improve the quality of life of sold animals.

However, that isn't what the people here are against. Its the fact that many pet stores don't care about where the animals COME FROM, and furthermore either don't care or simply cannot tell (and don't care to learn) when the animals are unwell or poorly taken care of. At least with the current state of affairs generally the purchase of an animal from a petstore furthers the mill breeding by creating demand. The government has very lax laws on animal "production" and as long as regulation continues to be bare minimum the problem will persist. Similarly, breeding animals, even if you got them from a shelter or otherwise, even with the intention to keep all the animals, means that potential "spots" in a home which could have gone to rescue animals go to those who need not have been born in the first place (which puts undo stress on the female for example). If you can breed your female and keep all 3 pups, you could have instead rescued 3 more females who were in need of a home, which may have unfortunately been put down (possibly in a horrible manner).

sometimes people arent lucky enough to have a rescue near them, i dont the closes one near me is 6-8 hours away. ive checked craigsist and we barely ever have cavies put on there. ive emailed shelters and they dont have them either. so for the health of my current female i HAD to resort to a petstore. luckily mine arent that bad and the pigs are well taken care of and none i have gotten there ever ended up sick. i think that rescues/ shelters/ craigslist should be checked first but for the interest of guinea pigs that are along and need company, petstores are ok when the cavie is quarentined.

I just want to make it clear to people that not all Petstores are bad. I am not asking for a war. Just makes me angry that people hate the Guinea Pigs from them, I have one and he is the sweetest thing.

You have misunderstood the stance completely. No one here hates the guinea pigs from petstores. The people here hate the fact that pet stores get their pigs from breeding mills. We have nothing against the pigs themselves.

Pet stores see their pigs as merchandise. They log them in as inventory and when a space opens up when one is bought they order more from the breeding mills - just like they would with dog food or cat toys.

There are so many pigs in shelters and rescues across the country in need of homes and every bought pig opens room for more pigs to be manufactured rather than finding homes for the already existing pigs who need homes.

I wasn't even going to reply, I just saw this thread, skimmed through and literally giggled at the ignorance. As others have said, be a bit more open minded about it, think of the big picture. There is a basically endless cycle of pets being put in shelters and then eventually being euthanized. With small pets such as guinea pigs, because store sell them, they are easier to obtain, no screening the pet or the potential owner. The pigs will often end up unwanted and then homeless. Then another one is bought and that perfectly healthy pig may be euthanized to make space for the new pig that was bought and then no longer wanted.

No, this doesn't happen all the time, but enough so that it would make a HUGE decrease in euthanasia's in shelter pets.

Adding: Shelters and rescues will have potential adoptors fill out applications and do a screening before allowing people to adopt a pig. The money from the adoption fee goes toward feeding and care of the other pigs at the shelter or rescue.

Pet stores don't care who buys the pigs, as long as they have money in hand. They could be a snake owner looking for a snack for their snake. They could be completely ignorant of good guinea pig care but the stores don't care. The money from a guinea pig purchase goes back to financing the breeding mills and the cycle continues.

THIS is what the people here are against, NOT the pigs themselves. It's the abusive cycle of breeding mills that petstores are perpetuating.

It's true that no one blames the guineas for hue conditions that some pet stores subject them to, it could never be blamed on the animals. But I also think that by saying that the majority of stores are caring and not about making a profit is a little naive. But what it all comes down to is if and when you go to a pet store and see 10 pigs in an aquarium, or whatever horrible things that are happening at the pet stores in your area do you try to help even one of them or do you just complain to the store clerks/ owners? It doesn't really matter what you say to them, if they are letting conditiOns become so bad in the first place they obviously dont care for the pigs and are just in it for the money.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I have no doubt that the pet stores in the UK are better than America, they seem to have stricter regulations. But isn't the while point to take care of your own pig? Even if it came from a bad store or god forbid a mill? Some peoPle don't have reliable rescues to adopt from, and I think that adopting from a pet store and giving it a happy loving home is still rescuing.
All 5 of our pigs have been from pet stores, and yes it's because we don't have rescues anywhere close to my town, and yes one did come to us pregnant, but I feel much better for them to live here than be at that store for however long and not get the right care.
I feel like I'm just repeating and apologize, but I guess what I'm trying to get across is that as long as you love and care for your pig/s as best as you can, especially by getting good tips on this site, than be glad that they are in a good place.
Unfortunately we aren't going to be able to stop the irresponsible over breeding and ignorance that goes along with some greedy pet store owners, but at least as a group we can help save and protect as many as we can.

Also, I have had TWO pet store pigs thus far, before I learned better.
The first one was covered in mites and lost his hair and required a $300 vet visit, meds for his eyes that he scratched at because mites hurt, and his ears. We ended up shaving him for some reason, and bathing him often and he recovered - thank goodness. The pet store also thought that he was a girl. WRONG!

Second pig, my mom brought it home for me after the first died. He was a pup. He bit, kicked, scratched, and was not healthy. His nose was oozing pus and he had an abcess on his neck. The 'petco vet' told my mom he was healthy. She ended up surrendering him to a shelter against my wishes because he had an incurable form of cancer. Guess what - I went and saw him a couple weeks ago. He's still alive after five years, with a few more infections, he's had surgery many times, and he still is not feeling well.

What a crock of crap those stores are. Glass aquariums for animals...no proper quarantine and actual vets checking the animals, crappy food being fed, no hay, over crowding...ugh.

You want to defend businesses, but the bottom line is thinking adoption first is always the main idea. We give pigs homes that are better where they were. Stores aren't going to do a home visit or ensure owners can care properly for the animal. They will just sell the animal to whomever has enough cash now.

A few years ago we had the same issue only with pet stores in our area selling puppies. The Kennel Club I belonged to was always out in the community educating people and promoting responsible dog ownership. We actually worked with one pet store in particular and they agreed to stop selling puppies. Also in 2008 the city just south of us was overrun with rabbits. When people got tired of their rabbits they would just let them go wild. The city hired someone to slaughter them until the public protested and in 2009 an organization was hired to captured many of them. They were spayed or neutered and kept in pens. Whether it is guinea pigs, rabbits, puppies, or kittens, a little education in responsible ownership goes a long way. Sites like this one offers a wealth of information to help educate guinea pig owners.

It's true that no one blames the guineas for hue conditions that some pet stores subject them to, it could never be blamed on the animals. But I also think that by saying that the majority of stores are caring and not about making a profit is a little naive. But what it all comes down to is if and when you go to a pet store and see 10 pigs in an aquarium, or whatever horrible things that are happening at the pet stores in your area do you try to help even one of them or do you just complain to the store clerks/ owners? It doesn't really matter what you say to them, if they are letting conditiOns become so bad in the first place they obviously dont care for the pigs and are just in it for the money.

The language that pet stores speak is money. Stop spending money there, get everyone to stop spending money there, and they will listen. That's why so many stopped selling dogs and cats. If we keep getting piggies from there, then another piggy will come to take its place, and the mills will continue.

Some peoPle don't have reliable rescues to adopt from, and I think that adopting from a pet store and giving it a happy loving home is still rescuing.

Buying is not equal to adopting. I would go without another pig before I'd go to a pet store. I won't indulge my desires at the expense of the pig.

Unfortunately we aren't going to be able to stop the irresponsible over breeding and ignorance that goes along with some greedy pet store owners, but at least as a group we can help save and protect as many as we can.

We won't be able to stop greedy pet store owners as long as we feed their addiction -- money over the well-being of their animals.

never go to a Petstore to buy Guinea Pigs but go to a rescue, you will just be buying a petstore guinea pig who has been neglected. It is as simple as. Are you really going to wait till that poor Guinea Pig has been abused till you bring the poor thing home?

So you admit that pet stores abuse their animals, and yet continue to spend your money there? And that if someone doesn't buy the animal, it will be abused?

Not all rescues are good ones ever. Some kill the poor piggies if you don't rehome them fast enough. Do Petstores do that?

Are you confusing rescues with shelters? I don't know of a single REPUTABLE rescue that kills piggies if they aren't rehomed quickly enough. They simply stop pulling from shelters. And the shelters keep getting full-up with pigs that people get tired of -- or are dumped by breeders (eye witness here, thanks). So yes, some shelters kill unwanted pigs. Think about the pigs getting gassed the next time you are buyina pig.

Pet stores euthanize pigs that are unsaleable. Don't forget that pigs are "product" to them - they aren't selling out of the goodness of their hearts. But so many of the pigs are sickly anyway, that they do die and don't need to be destroyed.

Yes, I know, sometimes they missex a Guinea Pig and then it ends up pregnant. But people make mistakes, we are all human! It's not like they do it on purpose, is it? You have to keep in mind, Guinea Pigs are one of the hardest rodents to sex, even trained vets can get them wrong.

Difficult, but not impossible, and a grown male pig is pretty obvious. If they cared even a smidge, they'd sell only spayed/neutered pigs -- take care of the sexing problem, and with over-breeding, no?

A lot of Petstores get there Piggies from breeders not mills. If Petstores want to make profit out of selling animals, then they need to make sure it's healthy first or no one would ever go there. The Petstore near here checks the breeders where they get the Guinea Pigs from. If the breeder is not a good one, then they will never get their Guineas from there.

Apart from your local store, do you have data on that? Evidence of the major suppliers and the conditions of their pigs?

Every Petstore needs a licence to sell animal. They must go by very strict rules when dealing with animals or they will be closed down. My dad works for a Petshop, and he has been training for months on how to look after the animals propally. They do have STRICT routeens. Every worker needs some knolegde in animals. They do train very hard!

In the U.S., licensing is a joke for small animal sales. A teenager in high school can manage the animal department. By the way the shops here treat their animals, they haven't even read a website. Absolute minimal standards to stay at legal standard and still make a profit.

How do you know the Guinea Pigs and other animals come from bad breeders of mills, have you ever worked there before? You can not judge someone by what others tell you, so why do it with Petstores?

Why do you assume we don't know? Why do you assume we are ignorant? Do you assume that because we disagree with you?

Most rescue Guinea Pigs are just neglected Petstore ones.

I agree. So why keep selling them? Pet stores do not have the rigorous screening process that a good rescue or shelter does. The language is money. Pet stores aren't charities.

Are your Rescue Guinea pigs happy? They are just Petstore ones with a bad history, thats all. They are no different. Rescue Guinea Pigs need homes, PetstoreGuinea Pigs need homes.

My pigs are very happy. My pigs are a combination of two things: petstore pets abused by their owners, and one pig is part of a litter that a breeder dumped in the woods (eye witness, thanks) because he couldn't sell them.

Go on, I know you want to shout at me for disagreeing with you, but lets face it, why would Petstores buy Guinea Pigs that they know are unhealthy if they are shout down for it and people won't buy them?

Pet stores buy unhealthy pigs because pigs and other small animals are a volume business. The overwhelming majority of people buying at pet stores are ignorant of the needs of cavies and other small animals, including ratties, birds, etc. The purchasers aren't necessarily mean, but ignorant, and ignorance kills. It's obvious from the stories on this forum alone, but also in the news, that pet stores are happily selling piggies and that people get them and they die days, weeks, or months later, and people go back and buy another, because few people in the U.S. anyway realize that pigs can live 8 years. I know I thought they lived maybe a year. Pigs are good at hiding things and can survive awhile on cheap food, in a way that a dog or cat cannot.

The point of educating people about the real needs of piggies is to get them to think before they buy and realize what they are supporting.

It's awful what is going on with individual pigs in a store and every pig deserves a good home. But if I buy one, another will take it's place, and the pet store will see the dollars or pounds and keep producing. Individual employees care, some of them, but they cannnot change overall corporate policy, and if a store loses money, they will change managers to people who care more about quantity than quality.

Please can everyone just take a breath for a moment as I explain myself. I didn't mean to create a war on this thread, nor do intend to anger people. I did not post this thread in the means to change your minds about Petstores. Really I didn't. Everyone has an opinon here, so do I. I DO NOT support Mills in anyway, I really do hate them to pieces. I infact do help my local rescue. I think rescues do do a fantastic job. Really I do. I in no means 'supporting' Petstores, I am just telling you that there really is some Petstores which do do so great work with there animals. They do, and I know because my father does work at a big petstore company in the UK as Assinstant Manger. He is in charge of where they get the Piggies and the care for them. They never come from Mills. At the store, are only two areas where the Piggies are displayed and there is no more then 4 of them at a time. And the areas are very big too. One for the sows and the other for the boars. They do take good care of the Piggies and thats all I am trying to telll you here. I know about the over breeding of Guinea Pigs but thatisn't always some Petstores faults. Yes, I need to agree, some Petstores are really bad, and I'm agenced them. And who says that I would rather go to a Petstore to buy Piggies then a rescue, huh? Some of you are saying things that I haven't even said before.

And for the record I DO love Guinea Pigs. I have adopted loads of Piggies before. Why would I be here if I didn't like them. And I think it is very rude of some people to take it upon them selves to say that to me even though they don't even know me. How would you feel if some stranger came up to you and said you don't care about Guinea Pigs? Huh? I have 10 very heathly Piggies here, right now sleeping ontop of their homemade pillows after being wash this morning and cleaned out. Thank you very much. NEVER say that I don't love them EVER again because you don't even know me. You don't have the right to make false judgements about me. Thats not fair, just because i have different belifes then you.

Please don't be rude when commenting, I am only saying my own opinion, sorry if I am offending some of you.

I guess everyone's pretty much pointing out what I want to say, so I'll try and make this brief. I'm from the UK too and there are no local rescues near me. There are two local pet stores which do appear to treat their guinea pigs with care, however you can't say that what's going on behind the scenes is also hunky dory (is that how you spell it?). I did buy my two guinea pigs from a pet store and that was purely because I had no other option - I live 16 miles away from the smallest city in the UK... but I had a choice of pet stores, and I chose the one that offered what appeared to be the most care for their guinea pigs (they had an extremely large pen with straw on top of their woodshavings which at least reduces the dust breathed in).

But by buying any small pet from a pet store, you are encouraging them, which is what will lead to small pets being kept in inappropriate homes. I do not condone me buying mine from a pet store - if I'd had any other option, I'd have had two rescue piggies, so that I knew I was definitely giving them a better quality of life.

EDIT: I would also like to add that two of my guinea pigs from a particular pet store developed either (a) an eye infection or (b) a skin infection. @Wildcavy speaks the truth when discussing the health of guinea pigs from pet stores.

EDIT2: @Collie 99 You don't support petstores? Wow... Then what was the actual point of your post?

Last edited:
sometimes people arent lucky enough to have a rescue near them, i dont the closes one near me is 6-8 hours away. ive checked craigsist and we barely ever have cavies put on there.

If you live in Memphis Tn, that is a heavily populated area. There has to be shelters around you that get gp. I live in a small farm land gheto area, and we always have pigs needing homes.

Status
Not open for further replies.