Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Animal Welfare Broken top teeth and ear issues

smores2015

Cavy Gazer
Ok so I adopted a Guinea pig his name is S’mores! When I got him he has a thick brownish black stuff in his ear! How do I get it out?

Also my 8 yr old dropped him last night and knocked his top front teeth out (she is no longer allowed to hold him at all) should I take him to a vet or will they come back?

Attachments

image.jpg

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I would make an appointment with an exotic vet and have a checkup.

Is he eating on his own? He may have difficulty picking up food and he needs to eat or he will decline quickly. Start weighing him at the same time each day to make sure.

I would have the teeth and mouth checked to make sure there isn’t more damage. Teeth should grow back, but sharp edges or cracked teeth will cause more problems.

If the ears are full of dark stuff, it could be wax buildup. The ear wax is the same color as the skin, so if he has dark ears the wax will also be dark. It could also be mites.

Since his ears are dirty I’m going to assume the previous owner might not have provided the care he needed. A good checkup would include checking skin health, condition of his feet, nail length, heart and lungs, and general body condition.