Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Zupreem Pellets

beachgurl_1988

Cavy Slave
Anyone used these? What do you think?

I cannot afford KM pellets (it's the shipping that will kill me), but was looking for something other than Oxbow... it's sooo expensive.

(broken link removed)

Zupreem is not good. KM hayloft and Oxbow are not that expensive when you consider you're only feeding 1/8 to 1/4 cup per day per guinea pig. Pellets make up the smallest portion of their diet.

It's not the pellets that are expensive, it's the 20 shipping! I have three piggies to feed, and happily buy them Oxbow, but it does add up

It's not the pellets that are expensive, it's the 20 shipping! I have three piggies to feed, and happily buy them Oxbow, but it does add up

If you calculate it with the shipping and compare the cost to buying quality pellets at a pet store, the cost is not much different. It's cheaper for me to buy 25 lbs of KM Pellets, including shipping, than buying 25 lbs of Oxbow at the pet store. They'll last you a long time. Pellets are a heck of a lot cheaper than a single vet visit. I have 8 guinea pigs and the cost of pellets is not that significant.

Beachgurl, I think you'll find that even with shipping, KM is about the same as Oxbow. What you don't realize is that you're paying shipping for Oxbow as well -- it's just been rolled into one price on the shelf, rather than separate prices for the pellets and shipping.

I live 2,000 miles from KM, and the price per pound, which is the only way you can really compare them, is within pennies of Oxbow. Depending on how much shipping is at any one time, sometimes KM will be a few pennies cheaper, other times it will be Oxbow. But the difference has never been as much as a dime a pound.

And KM and Oxbow are the only pellets that are really worth feeding, IMO. Kaytee is crap, and Zupreem is worse, if possible. I haven't tried anything from Sweet Meadow Farm, but you might investigate them.

If I were you, I'd save money somewhere else than on pellets.

I just bought from Sweet Meadows and so far my pigs are loving the pellets. They were originally eating Oxbow but I wanted to try KM so I got a small bag of it from a friend and, oddly, 2 of my girls wouldn't touch the KM pellets (I think I am the first person I know of that this has happened to! I have heard nothing but GREAT things about KM). So, this time around I ordered from Sweet Meadows. I don't have anything to offer except that if you price 10 lbs of crap pellets from the petstore and 10 lbs of Oxbow, KM, or Sweet Meadow they are actually pretty comparable. I actually bought my first bag of Oxbow pellets cheaper with shipping online than I found at the perstore. Look at different websites for the above mentioned 3 and compare prices. If you're spending a few dollars more for better quality it'll all be worth it in the end!

Thanks all. I was just looking at some other routes for feeding.

I just did get a 1/8 cup measuring cup for my piggies, I was feeding them like, twice that everyday!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.