Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Water Yucky brown water from water bottle?

wheekmau5

Cavy Slave
So I was hand-feeding my guinea pig with her water bottle and I saw some brown water leak out of her mouth, so I squirted some of the water from the water bottle into the sink and it was brown even though the color of the water was clear. I refilled it with water and after feeding her it again, brown water came out. I'm afraid it's old yucky water and she drank some of it? Should I be afraid of her getting germs? The water bottle nozzle is currently in a bowl of water.

If it released brown water again after you emptied it out, something is either wrong with the nozzle or your water at home.

Try switching bottles completely to see if that helps. Try to pour some water in a cup to see if it is your water or the nozzle.

Also, try to rinse it in a 50/50 White Vinegar/Water solution for about 5 minutes, bottle and nozzle, and see if that helps.

Brown water can mean Iron deposits if I have any experience with bad water. If it is your home water you may need to give your Pigs bottled water until it is fixed. If it is the bottle, then just switch bottles and see how it works.

Hope I helped!

I left the bottle outside for a day so I think the sun did something to the water. I use filtered tap water, I am going to try the vinegar solution and swab the nozzle with a Q-Tip. Thanks!

I left the bottle outside for a day so I think the sun did something to the water. I use filtered tap water, I am going to try the vinegar solution and swab the nozzle with a Q-Tip. Thanks!

No problem!

Yeah, the nozzle gets really gross. I clean mine every day and I wipe out gunk every time. My water bottle has a short enough nozzle to use a q-tip (Harts brand), but you may want to pick up a nozzle brush. You should probably be able to find those at pet stores, but here's an online source just in case : Amazon.com: Lixit Bottle and Tube Cleaning Brush: Pet Supplies

Pipe cleaners and tiny bottle brushes work well, too. There are bottle brushes that come with a little one attached to the handle.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.