Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ramps Yuck. Done with this-- Need a new Ramp Traction Idea

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone!

OK, I just really need a solution to my ramp troubles.

I started with plain carpet, a really nice spare carpet that I cut to fit my ramp. Well, then I figured out that my girls loved to poop on it and make a mess of it.

So I wrapped it in fleece. Then I added fleece and U-Haul pad combos.

Now, I am just going to say that I am tired of it. I don't know what else to do besides pitch the carpet or something like it!

__

I am putting a new loft in the girl's cage on Friday, and this ramp is currently connecting 2 cages. So I am going to just take out this ramp and use it for their loft.

This ramp is made out of bent grids, with a closed top. I have the carpet resting in the bottom of the ramp, and I am not using Coroplast.

Question:

What else can I use for traction that will be easy to clean and hopefully they will not be happy resting on?

___

Thank you!

Well on my ramps I use shag fleece with nothing under it besides the ramp. They never go to the bathroom on it but then again my ramps are pretty short. I used towel once but I read about choking hazards from loose threads so I stopped.

Well on my ramps I use shag fleece with nothing under it besides the ramp. They never go to the bathroom on it but then again my ramps are pretty short. I used towel once but I read about choking hazards from loose threads so I stopped.

What is "shag" Fleece? And you used just that with the grids right underneath?

I use this on my ramp
Walmart.com: Duck 12" x 10' Select Shelf Liner, Lichen: Household Essentials

Here is a close up of Whistles' ramp
[GuineaPigCages.com] Yuck. Done with this-- Need a new Ramp Traction Idea

What is "shag" Fleece? And you used just that with the grids right underneath?

Sorry, that's what I call it in my head! Have you ever had a furry "North Face" or "Padagonia" fleece? It's like that, I haven't tested it yet I'm not sure how well it wicks but it has stayed very nice looking and soft. One of my ramps is a pet store ramp that is plastic, I just binder clipped the fleece onto it. The other ramp is made from a locker shelf folded down and hooked onto the doorway of the pet store cage, so basically a grid but this one had very smooth and sturdy/ no hurting feet (not sure what the C&C grids feel like yet) . I binder clipped the fleece right on and then attached the ramp to the cage door and well la! I think if you just put fleece over the grids the pigs aren't as inclined to make themselves comfortable because they can ever so slightly feel the grids beneath them which may make it feel less secure than a nice carpet. You could also adjust the ramp so it's steeper (not to steep to hurt the pig or make it tough to climb up and down) and not so fun to sit on.

Your ramp has been the one I have been really wanting to change to.

Do you think if I put that shelving cover you use for your ramp on top of the carpet of my ramp it would help so I don't have to use Fleece? And does Whistles lay on it? Also, can that cover go through the wash? 1 more thing, if a piggy peed on it, what would happen and do poos get mushed into it?

I had a utility rug cut to shape and that worked great.

Your ramp has been the one I have been really wanting to change to.

Do you think if I put that shelving cover you use for your ramp on top of the carpet of my ramp it would help so I don't have to use Fleece? And does Whistles lay on it? Also, can that cover go through the wash? 1 more thing, if a piggy peed on it, what would happen and do poos get mushed into it?

Whistles never stops on it.
He just runs up n down it.
I vacuum it daily so I don't think poos have a chance to get mushed.
It isn't a cover persay. I've glued(animal safe) it down to the coroplast that is zip tied to the bent grids.
I've had the thought that SHOULD he pee or soil it, I can just detach the ramp from his cage/wash it with mild soap/water in the sink. I mean, it is literally just plastic/metal. No cloth or anything like that.

I use sort of like a mesh placemat or tablerunner. I got mine (5 ft long) at a dollar store. You can find them at dollar stores, target, walmart, kmart, bed bath and beyond, etc. Then I cut it to size and clip it to my ramp. [GuineaPigCages.com] Yuck. Done with this-- Need a new Ramp Traction Idea

Thanks guys so much!

I am going to use what I wanted to, the shelving stuff, in ^^that picture^^

Last questions: Is it OK for me to put that on the carpet and then wash it, and how do I attach it to the carpet?

It's fine to wash it, I have never had any problems with washing, I hand dry though. I would use, I think they are called, binder clips? My piggies dont chew on those, and they are almost like, heavy duty. So they don't move or slip easily.[GuineaPigCages.com] Yuck. Done with this-- Need a new Ramp Traction Idea

Sorry, I don't recall.....are you using grids for a ramp? If so, here would be my solution:

1) Cut a piece of coroplast the length/width of the bottom of the ramp
2) Zip tie the coroplast to the grids
3) Get some industrial-strength double-sided tape
4) Cut a piece of stair tread material the size of the coro
5) Tape the stair tread to the coro - traction is good, but it's not soft and cozy like indoor-outdoor carpeting or fleece, so it isn't conducive to lounging.

Here is the stair tread material, available at Home Depot:

I don't have any leftover Coroplast.....

Sorry, I don't recall.....are you using grids for a ramp? If so, here would be my solution:

1) Cut a piece of coroplast the length/width of the bottom of the ramp
2) Zip tie the coroplast to the grids
3) Get some industrial-strength double-sided tape
4) Cut a piece of stair tread material the size of the coro
5) Tape the stair tread to the coro - traction is good, but it's not soft and cozy like indoor-outdoor carpeting or fleece, so it isn't conducive to lounging.

Here is the stair tread material, available at Home Depot:

OK, now that I think about it, I would love to use this idea the best. Anything else would be too comfy I believe.

Can I just put that on the carpet and NOT on the Coroplast?

And, can I find that exact thing at Home Depot, a quick look on their website only shows fabric treading, not anything tough like that.

You can still use the shelf liner
but whichever is your preference.

Here is my homemade animal safe/non toxic glue recipe. I used it to glue down the shelf liner.
1 cup tapioca starch
4 Tablespoons of sugar
2 cups of cold water

Mix starch, water and sugar in a sauce pan until all ingredients are dissolved. Stir over medium heat until it forms a paste. This mixture should be stored in an airtight container that just fits the amount that you have left.

You can still use the shelf liner
but whichever is your preference.

Here is my homemade animal safe/non toxic glue recipe. I used it to glue down the shelf liner.
1 cup tapioca starch
4 Tablespoons of sugar
2 cups of cold water

Mix starch, water and sugar in a sauce pan until all ingredients are dissolved. Stir over medium heat until it forms a paste. This mixture should be stored in an airtight container that just fits the amount that you have left.

Thanks, but I believe that the shelf liner would be too comfortable for the Pigs. ;)

I might have developed my own new method!

I used a thing called Plast O Mat. https://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3307831

_
_

I stapled it to my ramp (heavy duty staples, TRUST ME, they can't get to them) and they seem to like it.

Lil' Babe went up it the first time and started sliding back down. So I looked at the ramp and I had the ribbed edges going up the ramp instead of side to side like a ladder. lol

So I fixed it, but she still hasn't gone up because of her roller coaster ride! :D

I never have understood why someone keeps liners in shelfs. I mean, unless your shelfs are slanted, your dishwear/cups aint going anywhere! xD

I never have understood why someone keeps liners in shelfs. I mean, unless your shelfs are slanted, your dishwear/cups aint going anywhere! xD

People use them so if they put dishes away and they aren't completely dry it won't affect the cabinets, and it allows better air flow. (less dust, I beliebe)

People use them so if they put dishes away and they aren't completely dry it won't affect the cabinets, and it allows better air flow. (less dust, I beliebe)

People put away wet dishes? o_O
I'm a clean freak. I can't stand even a drop of water still being on my dishes.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.