Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Won't Eat Veggies Young piggie has never had veggies, won't eat them?

FlyAwayZephy

Cavy Slave
Zephy was never offered fresh veggies before, and now that I am offering them, she doesn't touch them. She loves her hay and pellets, but doesn't even give any veggie a second glance. I've so far tried kale, romaine, cilantro, and carrots.

Any other suggestions? I tried putting them mixed in her hay, in her pellet dish, next to her pigloo door, in the corner away from everything else.. I even tried kinda tickling her nose with a sprig of cilantro, she ignored it. She just doesn't seem to recognize the veggies as food. I take them out the second they start looking wilty, offer fresh stuff, makes no difference. :confused:

I had some problems with my girls and green bell pepper. Try grating it on top of her pellets. If that doesn't work there are a lot of other people on the forum that have experienced the same thing and have much better advice.

My piggies wouldn't eat veggies at first, either. For days I would leave veggies in their cage and remove them when they wilted. After those few days, they just randomly started eating them.

I didn't put any veggies on my pellets because I didn't want their moisture to make muck out of them, but that apparently works for people.

Chopping them up and putting the veggies on the pellets works. It takes several days...so don't give up. I started with green peppers. Good luck.

My younger, newer pig Kwee had no interest in parsley at first (a favorite of Quee, the older one). But one day we fed Quee a sprig of parsley while they were in the cage together, and Kwee saw her eating it, and immediately tried to get in on it and started eating it from the other end. Since then she's loved it. I guess they learn by example. ;)

i second what @Mastershroom wrote - pigs seem to thrive on the jealousy factor -if another pig has it they want it too!. the other thing i might try is giving them their veggies before their pellets - like try to wait for a time when they seem to be more hungry. there's also a recipe somewhere here for frozen veggie treats. as the weather gets warmer you might try giving them that. the whole point is to get them used to the taste and eventually they'll eat it. just like little kids, they don't know what's good for them, and need some encouragement. i know all my boys love blueberries, and once a week when they get a couple, i have to take one of the pigs on my lap and kind of work it onto his lips, into his mouth a little before he'll happily chew away (watching out of course for my fingers). so, if you haven't already, you could try a relaxed, loving lap time and little pieces of veggies to rub on their lips a bit. in the meantime, you could think about supplementing with vitamin C tabs, so they get the C they need. my boys love the oxbow vitamin C tabs. good luck

my guinea pigs have a thing for cos lettuce, red cabbage, apples, grapes, strawberrys, baby bok choi, cucumber and green capiscum.
but dont like carrot kiwi fruit orange and a few other things.
i started by hand feeding mine the veg and fruit. try that

Still no luck, I've tried adding tiny bits to her food dish, and she just picks around it or pulls it out of her dish. Stubborn piggie!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.