Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Young&Older pigs in the same cage?

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
I buy Oxbow pellets, and alfalfa/timothy hay. I don't know what to do other than mix them together. Right now I have Mocha, and Juno who are about a year or so old (not sure.) Then we have the babies who are about 10 days old. I've been mixing alfalfa and timothy hay together. I also have been mixing Oxbow Cavy Performance, and Oxbow Cavy Cuisine. I don't know if that's the right thing to do since Mocha (not the mom) is getting what's meant for the mom/babies.

I'm not seperating Mocha from everyone else, but at 21 days the two little boys will be in a cage by themselves... So, I'll be able to moniter the hay/pellets, and make sure that they're alfalfa based until they're 6mo old. I will still have the female baby with her mom, and with Mocha though...

So, what do I do? Should I mix them together like I am. I know that straight alfalfa isn't the best for Mocha, either is the alfalfa based pellets, but the rest of them need it.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
I don't know with such young babies, but when I got Spike who was 8 weeks I kept feeding the Cuisine. I was told to just make sure he got calcium rich veggies everyday.

kikichugirl

Cavy Slave
I think the most efficient way to control feeding is to hand feed most of the food. For my 2 pigs, one is around 6mos. old (not sure) and my younger pig was only 4 weeks when I got him. He's four months old now. If my other pig is older, he would be getting too much alfalfa.
I'd suggest having timothy hay and alfalfa pellets, or the other way around. My pellets that came with the old pet store cage I don't use anymore were alfalfa based, and we had a huge bag of Kaytee hay in the house (originally for my hamster who won't eat it). However the pet store food, although it contains alfalfa, it also contains timothy, so they weren't eating too much of either one. When I used to feed them Vitamin C drops on the food (not in the water, no) I would hand feed to them so that they got their fair share.

Overall, maybe you should get a pellet that has both in it at the same time, so that if by chance they eat more of one type than the other, that is not possible if it has both. That's better than just flat out mixing them.

Or you can also seperate them when they eat, but that wouldn't go too well when giving them unlimited (as you are supposed to do when they are young).

Or like the above person said, calcium rich veggies or extra alfalfa for him to munch on when the older one is out of the cage.

catzeye21138

Cavy Slave
I like Deb's idea. If you feed the babies their veggies seperately, it will help ensure the adults aren't getting too much calcium.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.