Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Yellow/orange chunks in his cage

Macy K.

Cavy Slave
I woke up this morning ready to feed my piggie. Where his hay is there are these big chunks of somthing. I'm really afraid he is sick but he is acting fine. I let him run around and he is popcorning and squealing like nothing has happened. I'm so confused I don't know what they are. Please help me!

Can you post a picture of the chunks?
That might help some of the more experienced people on the site answer your question.
Good luck and I hope all is ok

I realized in my hay there were these sweet potato chunks in it that I did not know we're supposed to be in it. I heard guinea pigs can't eat potatoes so I'm getting new hay for him!

I've never heard of sweet potato chunks mixed in with hay...hmmmm...

Glad you figured it out though! :)

My first piggy (20 years ago) spent most of his last years with my parents and my dad used to feed him pasta with sweet cottage cheese and raisins (and some sour cream in it too) as a treat. Not daily, only 1-2 a week and only a small quantity, but he was waiting for his pasta treat impatiently, he even knew when my dad was cooking them and he was squeaking in excitement. He never had any diarrhea from this either. I don't say it's something you should feed your pig, but I'd say it won't kill them in small quantities once in a while (I won't try it with my 3 girls though).

My first piggy (20 years ago) spent most of his last years with my parents and my dad used to feed him pasta with sweet cottage cheese and raisins (and some sour cream in it too) as a treat. Not daily, only 1-2 a week and only a small quantity, but he was waiting for his pasta treat impatiently, he even knew when my dad was cooking them and he was squeaking in excitement. He never had any diarrhea from this either. I don't say it's something you should feed your pig, but I'd say it won't kill them in small quantities once in a while (I won't try it with my 3 girls though).

Guinea pigs are lactose intolerant and shouldn't have any dairy products. Most raisins are sweetened and contain preservatives so those should be fed sparingly. I don't know about pasta. I've never heard of feeding a guinea pig pasta.

I've never heard of that before and after my dad did that. He was the only case. My parents spoiled that little big piggy like a child.

I positive it has sweet potatoes in the bag it says on the bag. The hay is Kaytee Timothy hay ultra I got from Walmart. Should I quit buying this brand?

Kaytee hay is pretty crummy. It's usually first cutting, which is rough and straw-like, and very dried out by the time you get it. So in general it's not very nutritious. It's so dry and rough that at least one user on this site said it made their hand bleed when they grabbed it from the bag. And they horribly overcharge you for the amount you get. I think my local Pet Supplies Plus charges over $20 for a 96oz bag! You're much better off ordering hay from Kleenmamas, Oxbow, or a local retailer (Feed and seed, farm, etc). If you check out the hay link from the main page (here: hay) you'll find some good online resources. It may seem like a lot to pay up front, especially when you factor in shipping, but when you break it down you're paying a LOT less per pound.

I found my hay supplier by looking through the farm and garden section of Craigslist, and responding to anyone with an ad for grass hay. I found a guy who makes grass hay for a living, and he sells all of his bales for only five bucks. I got a second cutting bale (39#) and a third cutting bale (25#) for less than half the cost of a 96oz bag of Kaytee :D

You can also call Tractor Supply Co. if they are near you, as one poster said they were selling bales of grass hay. Not sure where, though.

I used to buy Kaytee and got a small bag with dried marigolds in it. I've never seen sweet potato hay, though.

Hope this helped. Good luck!

Last edited:
Macy K., it's regular potatoes they can't have, not sweet potatoes. They can have small chunks of sweet potato, you just have to limit it because of the sugar.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.