Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Wow, They Really Do Love Hay Piles

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I've been giving Mufasa as much hay as he wants via a hay ball, which he loves rolling around. Then I read here about how much piggies love to play in hay piles, so I thought I'd try it out. His pellets, veggie dish and water are up on a shelf where the hay would scatter everywhere, so I made him a spot in one corner of his cage where I could give him a pile.

I did this while cleaning his cage, and when I put him back in, he was like "Meh." I was disappointed but figured I'd go back to the ball. But the next morning there were lots of poopies over by the hay giving me clear evidence that he'd been hanging out there for a good part of the night (the poopies are usually under his shelf where he sleeps). He'd chowed through a lot of it and apparently had some play time, too.

Thanks to all those who have shared in other threads about how much piggies like to play in their hay. Now it gives me another enrichment tool for Mufasa (I'll probably switch to the hay ball periodically to change things up, since he enjoys that, too).

I am so glad you have discovered the love of hay piles. Guinea pigs were born to forage for their food. So many of us, including me, have gone to fleece which, although comfy, clean and drier, it really isn't natural for our piggies. By adding a hay pile we can give them back what they were born to do. My girls will eat from their hay rack sometimes, but their main entertainment, when in their cage, is digging, eating and flinging hay from their pile. I don't know what they would do for most of the day without it.

One of my pigs gets excited when he hears the hay being rustled! I put a pile in one end of the cage and he popcorns over and starts munching it :) So great to see them happy with hay! It usually gets flattened so I guess they play in it too :)

Hah, they really do love their hay piles! I caught Twix sleeping in the hay pile in my pigs' cage.

i love how my pigs love their hay piles, too, but hate how the hay ends up getting EVERYWHERE. i just tried something new. i bought a small litter box, cut a little entrance out, and have put the hay pile in that. they can still lay and roll in it, as well as munch. and, so far, it seems to keep the hay a little more contained. time will tell. . .

I put their hay in a pile as well, but am worried about them soiling it and then not eating it because it's covered in their litter. Does anyone else have that problem?

Jacqueline, You have given me an idea. My piggies too love a huge pile of hay, and it is everywhere. My rabbit Jamie had a pig plastic corner litter pan. ( Jamie did not use it as a litter pan. He slept in it ) If I wash that out and disenfect it really well I could use it for a huge pile of hay. It is about the size I give for hay anyway. Thank you.

I usually take out the old hay and replace with fresh in case the old hay became a toilet area. The litter tray thing is a good idea and I tried it with a spare kitten litter tray and I found my 2 boys just fought over who could get in the tray. So had to take the tray out! Would have to get them a big tray to stop the fighting!

I've been giving Mufasa as much hay as he wants via a hay ball, which he loves rolling around. Then I read here about how much piggies love to play in hay piles, so I thought I'd try it out. His pellets, veggie dish and water are up on a shelf where the hay would scatter everywhere, so I made him a spot in one corner of his cage where I could give him a pile.

I did this while cleaning his cage, and when I put him back in, he was like "Meh." I was disappointed but figured I'd go back to the ball. But the next morning there were lots of poopies over by the hay giving me clear evidence that he'd been hanging out there for a good part of the night (the poopies are usually under his shelf where he sleeps). He'd chowed through a lot of it and apparently had some play time, too.

Thanks to all those who have shared in other threads about how much piggies like to play in their hay. Now it gives me another enrichment tool for Mufasa (I'll probably switch to the hay ball periodically to change things up, since he enjoys that, too).

Yeah, I occasionally fill Gidget a cardboard tube (large one) with hay and put it in main cage for a day or two before cleaning the cage. She enjoys it more when its low to the ground and she eats more of it too. Hay mess kills my ocd but I will live for a couple of days till I get to clean cage. ha ha

Oh yes! I have the piggies' hay racks over the litter box and they pull the hay out so they can lay on it. I usually find both pigs sprawled out in or next to the box. It helps keep the hay contained to one area too.

When I first got Phoenix and Godric, they wouldn't eat out of a hay rack no matter what I did, Fus and Ro Dah however would, but I noticed that they ate A LOT less then Phoenix and Godric, so I just switched them all to hay piles, and they eat a TON more hay, and love to play around in it. They will also sometimes shape it to make a hay tunnel. o_O What smart little piggys.

What is the magic secret? My piggies will NOT get into hay piles! I give it to them, but they just eat the hay on top, then step on the rest.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.